• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just saw the BBSC

I just came back from Don's Hilltop Auto and saw Mark Basch and his new supercharger. Thanks to Chris from SOS for making the journey down the coast to show everyone the wares!

The unit looks great, and the install is very clean and tidy. Visually, the Paxton unit is a little bigger than I expected, but it gives the engine bay a very strong appearance.

Mark is a sweetheart of a guy and is available to answer even the most inane questions with a smile on his face. I should know, I asked him quite a few of them. The numbers that this thing generates seem too good to be true, but the dynos don't lie! Over 120 rwhp gains!

As soon as this bad boy passes CARB I'm getting one.

The other car there just had a stock exhaust, didn't it? It sounded just like an NSX, with a little "wheeeee!!!" going on in the background.

Yep. I want one. Wonder what the wife'll say?

-Bob ('94 #496)

Forgot to say: Big, big thanks to Mark, Chris, Don, and whomever else was involved in setting up the show'n'tell. Made for a great afternoon. Thanks guys!

-Bob

Originally posted by ChopsJazz:
I just came back from Don's Hilltop Auto and saw Mark Basch and his new supercharger. Thanks to Chris from SOS for making the journey down the coast to show everyone the wares!

The unit looks great, and the install is very clean and tidy. Visually, the Paxton unit is a little bigger than I expected, but it gives the engine bay a very strong appearance.

Mark is a sweetheart of a guy and is available to answer even the most inane questions with a smile on his face. I should know, I asked him quite a few of them. The numbers that this thing generates seem too good to be true, but the dynos don't lie! Over 120 rwhp gains!

As soon as this bad boy passes CARB I'm getting one.

Did you get to ridein or drive a BB NSX? If so, how did it feel compared to stock?

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

When will it be available. I talked with Mark over 5 weeks ago and he said to check back within two weeks. I have done so, repeatily. No response. I hear they are having problems with the belt throwing? Did anyone of you ask him these? I will be at the portland meeting. I am curious, i mean, why advertise it, if it is not ready. The product looks great, performs well(according to dyno) and i know Mark does great work.

I told him i had the money, he said it was done, but yet, 5 weeks later not ready still. Just curious why?

I can't begin to know Mark's motivation for advertising or not. Nor would I want to answer for him, but I did ask him a little about belts and I was told that they are using a 6-rib belt as opposed to the previous 5-rib version and he did'nt mention any problems with throwing the belts.

Also, I don't know if there were any rides given as I left a little early.

Originally posted by ChopsJazz:
Sound, of course, is dependent upon the type of exhaust system used. I heard Chris's car with the Taitec exhaust and it sounded awesome!

For what is worth, the SC was not engaged
on Chris's car, the belt was removed from
the unit. (It's good to know that you can
actually drive with the unit disconnected
without having to worry about driveability
problems..)

From my conversations with Nick his car
(the 3.2 liter) had stock exhaust and
headers...

There again, why show or debut a sc yet have it disconected? I am confused. I guess i will just wait until tomorrow. I am hoping that a few of my friends will come along. Two have RX7's, but still very nice. One makes 459rwhp and has 50hp nos still to finish, the other 340rwhp. Wish, my NSX did! See you guys on Tuesday.

Thanks

Originally posted by EDRNSX1:
There again, why show or debut a sc yet have it disconected? I am confused. I guess i will just wait until tomorrow. I am hoping that a few of my friends will come along. Two have RX7's, but still very nice. One makes 459rwhp and has 50hp nos still to finish, the other 340rwhp. Wish, my NSX did! See you guys on Tuesday.

Thanks

Hi,

According to Chris, there is an updated kit for the BBSC that did not make it up in time to Daly City to upgrade his car.

Nick's car *DID* have the SC on, it sounded sweet, a good sleeper car
smile.gif

According to both Nick and Mark the production version of the BBSC will have a slightly different version of the mechanicals that will connect the intake manifold and the Supercharger unit.

Both Mark and Nick verbally described the newer mechanicals, according to them the machine shop had not finished building the
newer components in time to get the kits upgraded.

I am really glad to hear that they are taking their time with their kit, and optimizing them every time that they see an oportunity to do so.

One interesting thing, that has been seldomly mentioned is the ability of the SC to actually not provide any boost when there is no need for it. Similar in nature to other systems in OEM superchargers. That should do wonders for the Fuel economy
smile.gif

Nick also mentioned about the Kit "B" that will use lower compression pistons and higher boost.

I believe that is what NSXTC had done to his car...

There was some talk about a custom airbox for the BBSC and an intercooled version of the kit as well
smile.gif

Nick really helped in answering all of the
technical questions that I had. Now the hardest part is waiting for the kits to become available.

Kudos go to Chris, Don and his wife, Mark and his wife, and Nick for making the event possible.

Originally posted by EDRNSX1:
Thanks for response. I look forward to asking some questions. I am not in a hurry, just curious why the delay. Thanks again,

ERIC

Eric, All- There is no delay really. This is the time it takes to do this thing and do it right. And, if I can't do it right, I won't do it at all. If you will remember, I announced the kit when I did, early for shure, because some people had gotten wind of it and seen it at my shop, and the rumore were starting to fly. So, rather than let the idea swim in rumor and story- I decided to come clean with what I was doing, and- I'm still doing it!!
No SC of mine has ever thrown a belt- that is total vapor. We went to a 6 groove belt because Paxton assured me too often that a Novi 1K with a 5 groove belt will eventually have slippage problems.
Upgradeing to a six groove belt was always in the plans.
As far as Chris's car not being hooked up on Sunday- it was not finished in time. Nick and I installed the new beta parts on Saturday at my son's house in the Bay area, and the shaft was not drilled and tapped properly by the machinist. We tapped it Sunday night and Chris is hooked up as he tools his way up the coast for todays and tomorrows meets.
If anyone thinks they can design and build a complete SC package while running a regular bussiness that services 25 to 30 cars a day, manage 6 employees and a dog- well, I think it takes more time than you will ever know.

Thanx all for your continued support and patience. Kits will be installed starting this week or next, people who are on the wait list will be contacted by next week to discuss these details. Stay tuned-
Mark Basch

It was nice to see every one out at Hilltop on Sunday and a treat to see the BBSC installed on a couple of NSX's. Thanks Mark, Nick and Chris for answering all the questions and Don for putting on the event at your shop. I must say that there was a lot of interest based on the # of NSX's parked up and down the street. It is rare that I see any fellow NSX'rs on the road but I ran into several on I-280 headed north Sunday morning. The BBSC on Nick's 3.2L had a sound very similar to stock with just a slight shift to the upper register. Those of you looking for some serious stealth will love this. The unwary vette owner probably will not. I was hoping to post some pix from the event here but I guess I will need to read up on th"How to" since cut and paste don't seem to work. Any Suggestions?

I just got in last night from the trip that started in San Francisco. I wanted to first say thanks to the many people that made the trip and shows successful:

Mark Basch, Jane Basch, his family, & Nick; Don Lam & his wife; Andrie & George; Eric (Niello Acura); Hrant & Al.

It is really the people that make this all worth it and so enjoyable. Thanks everyone!

I unfortunately erased all my pictures from Sunday and Monday from my camera, but have a few from the drive from 101 - Grants Pass on I-5. Wow! What a drive! If anyone has any pictures, please e-mail them to me: [email protected]

DSC02548_small.jpg

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

That is a beautiful picture Chris!

BTW, the car ain't half bad either
smile.gif

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Back