• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Keep it or sell it?

I recently just drove an F430 F1 when my next door neighbor bought one and gave me the keys to take it for a spin. I felt like a rock star driving that Fcar, and could not wipe the smile off my face.

I thought long and hard about selling my 03' nsx to get one, but in the end I want to have both... so I need to save up a bit more to do that. Since space & money aren't pressing issues for you, I would definitely keep the nsx for another 6-12 months to see if you even drive it anymore. It's not like the car is depreciating these days.

I only drive my nsx once every other week, but that's still enough for me to enjoy it.

yo,
Your post #9 says it all. If your ad would have you buy it again, don't sell it.
John

Let me begin by stating that I own a Ferrari 360, the predecessor the to F430. (Feel free to see my posts in the Second Generation section where I discuss my Ferrari ownership).

To be perfectly honest, in my opinion, there is no comparison between the F430 and the original NSX. The F430 is superior in every way. I've driven the F430 hundreds of miles on the street and track. It is simply an amazing machine and one that you will never tire of driving and enjoying. Yes, it will cost money to maintain, and yes things will break and need to be fixed, but it will keep you smiling every time you see or drive it.

I seriously doubt that you'll have much seat time in the NSX after buying the F430 and driving it. If money is no object, and you want to keep the NSX, by all means do so. But for driving enjoyment, the F430 is one of the finest machines ever built. I also think, that despite my personal desire for manual transmission cars (my 360 spider is a true manual), the F430 is actually a better driving experience with the F1 transmission. The car was built for that transmission and the various driving programs in the car integrate fully with the F1 transmission. In fact, you can attach various capture devices to the car's OBD plug and download literally hundreds of real time parameters. It's beyond amazing what you can learn with a good coach on the track.

If you do take it to the racetrack (strongly recommended) you'll find the combination of F1 with the F430 may permanently distort your face into looking like the Joker. You'll have a hard time getting the grin off.....

Last edited:
You have to love car forums, it's nice to have a place to be able to collect relevant input as to any situation you might find yourself wondering about. Interesting dilemma you have and while I have driven more than 1 F430/Scuderia I have decided not to own any. With that said I have owned a few other iterations of the brand and currently have a CS. I recently acquired an NSX in addition to the other cars I have for one reason, I wanted the car for what IT was, not for what it was compared to other cars and the same works in reverse. I'm also selling the CS and keeping the NSX if that tells you anything. I will be adding another Fcar but am going back in time and further up the food chain, but will still be holding onto the NSX.

It makes little sense to compare cars of different eras, varied build costs, horsepower ranges and expect to say that one is better, or more necessary than another, at least not if you want to be take seriously. The NSX is truly in a league of its own and so unique that I don't believe it can be compared to any other car so my .02 is keep it, enjoy it at least once a week and give the other cars a try and see what you think.

As for Ferrari's, don't believe the hype. I've put over 100k miles on them over the last 5 years or so and the more they're driven the cheaper they are to own, period. F1 gearboxes on anything short of a 458 is going to give you more issues than a 3 pedal car of the same variant, fact. If you want a 430 and insist on an F1 gearbox, go Scuderia and don't look back.

Good luck and report back on what you decide.

Not sure why you would feel bad for a car after not driving it? It is there for your enjoyment when you make time for it. I have not driven my NSX in 6 months but I have no intention of selling it. I enjoy it every time I take it out and I hope I am never in the position where selling is a necessity. Driving an Exotic and a NSX are very different and can not be compared. Both have positives and negatives which is why the NSX is a keeper.

The timing of this thread is ironic. I have owned my NSX 2 years and love everything about it. I don't want it to go anywhere.

But I joined Fchat about a month ago out of curiosity and now find myself...tire kicking. For me its the sound and the passion that surrounds the brand. Did I mention the sound?

I think the costs are a turn off... if I make the move...I am going to budget about 10-12k a year in maint and depreciation.

The timing of this thread is ironic. I have owned my NSX 2 years and love everything about it. I don't want it to go anywhere.

But I joined Fchat about a month ago out of curiosity and now find myself...tire kicking. For me its the sound and the passion that surrounds the brand. Did I mention the sound?

I think the costs are a turn off... if I make the move...I am going to budget about 10-12k a year in maint and depreciation.

sippy2- I've been an Fchat member and car owner for over a decade and have been a fan since attending a race at "the ring". It wasn't the race cars that got to me, it was the 308 GTB in the parking lot that did it, I was 5 and never looked back. There is nothing like that iconic wail.

The budget depends on the model since that goes to labor costs/time and then there are the parts. It's not for the squeamish, I recall an invoice for one of my Italians l have lying around starting with a 3 and followed by 4 numbers.....before the decimal point. Get a very thorough PPI, and use Fchat as a resource. It's like Prime but with more BS.

A very personal decision, but FWIW, I've found that many who've sold their NSX later wish they hadn't. I guess it comes down to how much you think that you'll miss it.

Yep! I've fallen in to that group Twice! Everytime I go in search of something different / MORE POWER!
I spend years trying to find another nice NSX and always come back home. That's why I have come to
the conclusion that I will always have an NSX in the Garage while spending time with another car until it
is time to rotate it out for another. If you can keep both, I strongly suggest that you do until you know
for a fact that the F-Car is the chosen one..... sit on it for a bit! Good luck!

I like the F430 spyder. I hear that it can cost upwards of 20k to repair the e-gear accuator if it fails.

Can get them much cheaper used, or also have them rebuilt for $2k. Experience speaking here. If you insist on stroking your ego and only servicing a Ferrari at a dealer they can be expensive. However the maintenance can be very manageable if you drive the thing and start with a decently treated car.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I am having a blast driving the f-car. Last weekend I got to drive the nsx, f-car and a Viper interchangeably and it made me realize how special the nsx is. At this point I am leaning towards supercharger and brembos. :)

That's the spirit yo! A supercharged NSX is a whole new beast. Picture an NSX with a small block V8 that revs to 8000rpm, what the car should have been all along I think.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I am having a blast driving the f-car. Last weekend I got to drive the nsx, f-car and a Viper interchangeably and it made me realize how special the nsx is. At this point I am leaning towards supercharger and brembos. :)

good for you...in this digital age its nice to have the best of the old world analog machine.....I would suggest getting the 02 abs upgrade kit if you go to a bbk.

Back