• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Koni install diy question

So I've just gotten a set of koni sport shocks and Zanardi springs, and I'm considering doing the install myself. I'm finding the picture instructions that come with the shocks a little confusing, though. It looks like you hammer off the lower spring perch and something else that sits right above it, then throw the second thing away, if I'm reading this right. Then you slide the spring perch up the new shock until it's stopped by the dust boot lip. I can't figure something out, though: what is it that keeps the spring perch from sliding down the shock when it's loaded by the spring?

Does anyone know if there are written instructions? I can't seem to find any.

Of course, any other advice or links would be appreciated as well.

Yes the pictures appear as if you slide it up the bottom for some reason but all i did was put mine on top so it sat on the lip around the shock since that's the only thing that made sense. 2x4 method works good the link above has a lot of good info. Biggest thing.. don't rip your CV boot.

Last edited:
I was thinking about that too, but doesn't that lip have to hold the end of the dust boot? If so, do you have your spring perch on the outside of the dust boot, or is the boot held on in some other way?

Boot is held on the same exact way as stock. The part that holds the boot on is part of the lower perch.

Last edited:
I got confused because the instructions have an X through that part after they show a picture of you hammering it off of the old shock. I thought that meant throw it away, but apparently not.

The instructions are mostly useless. The boot holder is attached to the perch and cant be removed, although there is a brass ring on the stock shocks above the perch that will come off that you will not use with the konis

Ok, thanks. So did you replace all of the locknuts when you did the swap, like it says in the manual? (I think there are ~18 of them) The dealership says they're on backorder, so I'm wondering if I'd be ok reusing the ones on the car.

Ok, thanks. So did you replace all of the locknuts when you did the swap, like it says in the manual? (I think there are ~18 of them) The dealership says they're on backorder, so I'm wondering if I'd be ok reusing the ones on the car.

You can get hardened stainless locknuts from Home Depot. You wont get the fancy sticker, or the reach around from the dealership. But they will work the same at half the price. You can go to Honda for small OEM nuts and bolts as well. I just used the old ones. lol

Make it easy on yourself and drop the rear sway bars. Many have broke the rear sway links doing it for the first time.

Back