• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lack of power in '94 auto NSX

You can't downgrade. Sell it and buy a manual NSX, you won't regret it. The Mazdaspeed 3 has nothing close to what I would call styling. You can find a great condition NSX for $30k. I mean i'd hate to say, but you should have never bought an auto. It's not fun to drive anyways, only easy to drive. I mean you said you want a manual Mazda3, why not get something with the same clout as the NSX atleast?

If you really are looking to trade, I'd say look at a 2007 G35 Coupe MT. They had over 300 hp and are a blast to drive. You can also pick one up for a tad bit over $30,000. They are new enough to still have a warranty and not too expensive to maintain. You also get a nice cushy interior with all the goodies, Navi, blue tooth, Bose stereo system as well as some usable rear seats. Not to mention the trunk space.

If you want something a little more exotic, then what about an E46 (2002 - 2004) BMW M3? (333 hp) I owned a 2002 convertible for a while and they were a blast to drive. Torque for days. You got all the power at 2,xxxx RPM's. It was fast and the most stable car I have ever driven at high speeds. I guess because it weighed almost 3800 lbs. I could hit 140 in that car and lean back like I was doing 75. You can get a clean one for the high $20k's. Again, you can find one with all the goodies, Navi, xenon, BT, upgraded stereo, etc. It has a good backseat and good trunk space. It also will get attention, althought not like the NSX. But if you're looking for a terrific driving experience, then that car is definately recommended. The up keep will cost you though and it is a little older that the G35 Coupe.

Other than that, you can do a new Evo X or STI but they are so...

If you really are looking to trade, I'd say look at a 2007 G35 Coupe MT. They had over 300 hp and are a blast to drive. You can also pick one up for a tad bit over $30,000. They are new enough to still have a warranty and not too expensive to maintain. You also get a nice cushy interior with all the goodies, Navi, blue tooth, Bose stereo system as well as some usable rear seats. Not to mention the trunk space.

If you want something a little more exotic, then what about an E46 (2002 - 2004) BMW M3? (333 hp) I owned a 2002 convertible for a while and they were a blast to drive. Torque for days. You got all the power at 2,xxxx RPM's. It was fast and the most stable car I have ever driven at high speeds. I guess because it weighed almost 3800 lbs. I could hit 140 in that car and lean back like I was doing 75. You can get a clean one for the high $20k's. Again, you can find one with all the goodies, Navi, xenon, BT, upgraded stereo, etc. It has a good backseat and good trunk space. It also will get attention, althought not like the NSX. But if you're looking for a terrific driving experience, then that car is definately recommended. The up keep will cost you though and it is a little older that the G35 Coupe.

See the problem with a G35 6 speed is that it will be the same speed as his automatic nsx. Now I would definitely go for the E46 M3 though, they seem cheap enough and is pretty practical. And stock they are as quick as a lightly modded NA1 5 speed.

See the problem with a G35 6 speed is that it will be the same speed as his automatic nsx. Now I would definitely go for the E46 M3 though, they seem cheap enough and is pretty practical. And stock they are as quick as a lightly modded NA1 5 speed.

It'll give a stock NA1 a run for it's money if the NSX driver is not the greatest. A 5AT G35 would have the same acceleration as an AT NSX. The only issue is the the earlier VQ engines aren't very stable at high revs. I test drove one and the after 5500 rpm, the engine did not feel so smooth. I here HR are much better at high revs, so why don't you go get 07+ 350z or the G37. The 3.5 liter will deliver much better low end torque and make it feel like you are going fast.

The M3 is a great performer though. Personally all of these cars are two big for my taste, even the 350Z. The G35 has a classic and unique style though. I think you can't go wrong with any of these cars, atleast keep it a 2 door, 6 cylinder.

It'll give a stock NA1 a run for it's money if the NSX driver is not the greatest. A 5AT G35 would have the same acceleration as an AT NSX. The only issue is the the earlier VQ engines aren't very stable at high revs. I test drove one and the after 5500 rpm, the engine did not feel so smooth. I here HR are much better at high revs, so why don't you go get 07+ 350z or the G37. The 3.5 liter will deliver much better low end torque and make it feel like you are going fast.

The M3 is a great performer though. Personally all of these cars are two big for my taste, even the 350Z. The G35 has a classic and unique style though. I think you can't go wrong with any of these cars, atleast keep it a 2 door, 6 cylinder.

well thats if the NA1 driver can't drive for his life. Most G35's 6 speeds with bolt ons can barely hit 100mph in the 1/4. Those cars don't have very good top end, and they're hard to launch due to wheel hop.

You are right about going 140 in a BMW...and feeling like you going 75....I have had 3,5,6 and 7 series...all feel like that....

Maybe I should put an Si's engine in my NSX, that way I'd be fast AND still look cool! For a low-slung "exotic" sports car I thought it'd have more zip. It be like taking all the training, putting on all the gear, and stepping into the low-slung seat of the F-16 Viper (Fighting Falcon) only to find out that it ONLY looks fast.

I know your issue...I felt the same....was impulsive and bought two NSX--------with in 8 months of each other....Just for my need for speed.......400hp later......I am still not happy and looking for more power....

Greetings

Have you used a GPS to see what performance you are getting from your Automatic? Then, if the numbers are way lower than 5.8 for 0 -- 60, then I would take it in and get it fixed. A sub 6.0 second car is still considered fairly quick.

Cheers,
Martin

I've had my 94 NSX auto going 140 - it was so smooth and comfortable that my son was asleep. I think 60-100 it behaves like an NSX- otherwise it works great as my daily drive. Power steering-

I've had my 94 NSX auto going 140 - it was so smooth and comfortable that my son was asleep. I think 60-100 it behaves like an NSX- otherwise it works great as my daily drive. Power steering-

You did 140 with your son in the car?

You did 140 with your son in the car?

WOW thats WOW . But lets stay on the subject and not stir up the sh!tpot.

VanceHu- When are you going to the track yourself so you can see what your so called "special engine" from honda with 310hp engine can do?? And with all the titatinuim/NSXR parts/Jdm parts/ Seibon Sticker should be worth atleast 1 sec off your 1/4 mile.

Did I tell you I got one of those engines too. Yeah, my boy works for acura ( so what if he's the janitor, he reads nsxprime/hondatech) and he says I do. SO damit I do.:biggrin: Honda must of stuck NSXR engine into mine too :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've accepted the fact that the NSX's acceleration prowess is lacking and use the car to pretend that i have an Italian exotic, but on a budget.

It's really to cruise around for me and for pulling tight turns.

For straight line acceleration I have another car that makes 550RWP and ungoldly amounts of TQ too......

WOW thats WOW . But lets stay on the subject and not stir up the sh!tpot.

VanceHu- When are you going to the track yourself so you can see what your so called "special engine" from honda with 310hp engine can do?? And with all the titatinuim/NSXR parts/Jdm parts/ Seibon Sticker should be worth atleast 1 sec off your 1/4 mile.

Did I tell you I got one of those engines too. Yeah, my boy works for acura ( so what if he's the janitor, he reads nsxprime/hondatech) and he says I do. SO damit I do.:biggrin: Honda must of stuck NSXR engine into mine too :rolleyes:

Recall reading the topic, you're the one who jumped in and CHANGED the subject because you have a bad ass Automatic NSX with NOS that is faster than pertty much every thing out there. Yeah, stay on the subject. That's a good one.

However, just to keep you entertained, here is my invitation.

We all know talk is cheap. Bring your car down, let's hit the track together!!! Straight line, or road course, you pick.

I'm sure the big throttle body you got is going to make up for the Auto Tranny deficit.

BTW, Are you absolutely sure your car is super bad? After all, you weren't even sure about the BTB you got....lol Yeah, I'll be supportive. It does work!!! Even if it's only in your head:wink:

I got my SOS big bore throtle body installed. I like it, it feels better overall. I am not sure if it in my head but most likely it is. But will post dyno results soon.

Do you know why I don't take you seriously? Or most of the Prime members? Because you have been all talks.:rolleyes: :eek:

Post your Dyno, list your mods, make things transparent!!! With all that, people will start to believe you a little more.:wink:

Last edited:
Come on children, the topic is mattmob's auto, not your pi$$ing match of "mine's bigger than yours". Let it go already.

Yea, tell me about it.

So back on topic.

How much would you be willing to spend to make your car faster? I believe that that's a good place to start. Every car can be made faster, it's all about the $$$, and everyone has a limit.

Yea, tell me about it.

So back on topic.

How much would you be willing to spend to make your car faster? I believe that that's a good place to start. Every car can be made faster, it's all about the $$$, and everyone has a limit.

Come on Now....THis wouldn't be a FORUM if we didn't get off topic a lil... LOL

He needs to make sure his car is running as it should before band aiding or mods... I am one of those people that believe the automatic can be made faster, but at what cost? I dropped a lil over 3500(I/H/E/ECU/TQConv/Shocks) with a marginal performance increase. Gtech
avg was a 0.7 (avg)increase in 0 - 100 . If you not living by the clock, your but dyno may be the only difference you feel. The Shift KIT.....offered overseas might be a good option---If the Instructions were not in Japanese....

My automatic feels like it has life when manual shifting and of course in that long 3rd gear...........

IMO it runs like a 1991 automatic 4 speed should.... Yeah for the price it could have been allot better.....BUT it is what it is......

P.S. I commute with a person that has a 05 G35 auto....We both agree that the NSX feels quicker....The G35 loses it life after 100 mph...IMO

MY gripe...The Auto NSX just changes gears to fast when cruising(low rpm) and has a lag between gear shifts (tq converter)....However the gas MPG is great for a sports car and its STILL an NSX---------------------2 cents

Recall reading the topic, you're the one who jumped in and CHANGED the subject because you have a bad ass Automatic NSX with NOS that is faster than pertty much every thing out there. Yeah, stay on the subject. That's a good one.

Damn Vance all you know how to do it twist stories and lie about small things. Stop visiting disneyland trying to pick up 15 yr olds your imagination is running wild again. YOU CHANGED the subject by saying "Originally Posted by Vancehu: You have a automatic NSX that is at least 200lbs heavier than my car, if the car with standard quality bolt-on parts dyno'd generously at 230hp, you are still 70hp shy. Even if you have comptech SC at standard boost, my car will still destroy your car."

THAN I REMINDED YOU THAT YOU ARE SMOKING CRACK AGAIN. and replied with this:Originally Posted by yaynsx " I don't believe those number you have been posting for a while now and I also don't believe your story of how Honda some how got you a nsx with extra hp/tq than others.
Dyno number are easily altered. Do you have any 1/4 mile time slips? NO? What a suprise. Why not? Why spend all that money on light weight parts if you are never going to see what it can do? I think its because you know you will be very dissapointed.
Dyno number don't mean much unless you can have a time slip also to show that you are actually making something close to your dyno claims.
Again my car dyno'd at around 250 with a small 90 shot = 340 rwhp will smoke 80% of nsx out there in a quarter mile. And my tranny will be fine as I have the power come on progressively so there is no shock to the tranny with a hard hit. It never comes on the first gear and only come on at set RPMS at certain gears. So you can see that there is not much pressure on the drivetrain/tranny. I posted my dyno results but I also said it didn't mean anything to me yet till I get some 1/4 mile times to go with it.
Don't think I am putting your car down. We all know manual and especially 3.2L with a few bolt ons will be faster than the old 1991 auto with a few bolt ons. But with nitrous (SC not needed) your car won't even come close to mine. And if I did do the SC/aem and had it tuned to give certian amount of boost at certian RPMS your car still will be destroyed, so I don't why you think it wont be the case. You said you car can beat mine even if I had a Supercharger
I also don't know where you are getting the 230hp numbers with bol ons. I've got dyno's for 3 auto's and they are all above 250 hp with i/h/e. I did my dyno twice and also did a dyno on a small 45 shot and with just the 45 shot my dyno looks way better than yours. So you are smoking crack if you think you can beat my FI with your non FI nsx. Don't think I take big pride in being able to beat a non FI car either but you brought it up and I wanted to make it clear.

SO NOW YOU CAN CLEARLY READ WHO CHANGED THE SUBJECT above by saying your fake nsxr wanabee thinks he can beat any Forced induction AUTO NSX with Supercharger or with Nitrous and I said YOu are smoking Crack it would be the other way around.[/COLOR

Than now to change the subject again you quote me from 3 years ago about the big bore throttle body which has nothing to do with nothing in this thread
I'm sure the big throttle body you got is going to make up for the Auto Tranny deficit.

BTW, Are you absolutely sure your car is super bad? After all, you weren't even sure about the BTB you got....lol Yeah, I'll be supportive. It does work!!! Even if it's only in your head:wink:

Vance- We are only doing one thing together when I see you and its not Hitting the track. But yes I am going to hit something when we are together.

WOW now I know you are a big dumb A$$. You are quoting me from 2 years ago from a completely different thread, when I said I m not sure if the Big bore throttle body gives me any gains ?? I am the one who said it doesn't and most likely its in my head and I am the one who said I don't believe it till I see it on a dyno. You are so dumb all my dyno results are posted here on prime all 3 different ones.
SO AGAIN I WILL SAY IT YOU ARE DEAD WRONG WHEN YOU SAY THAT YOUR WANNABE NSXR IS FASTER AND WILL KILL ANY AUTO NSX WITH A SUPERCHARGER OR NITROUS in a 1/4 mile.

Last edited:
what the... :confused:

We have a disgruntled employee on aisle 7.

Vance the difference between me and you; well there alot but lets start with good looks, smarts and I actually know the girls I take pictures with. My bad I m being a Vance going off topic and twisting things to a different direction.

The difference is YOU LIE ALL THE TIME. You went from how Honda gave you a special NSXR engine with 303 rwhp and than you spent another $20K in wanna be nsxr parts and now you think your car has 7 more hp/tq= 310rwhp JUST so you can be a wanna be NSXR and still slow as yesterday. You worship your car and I use mine. You live to impress your import buddies, you don't hit the track so you can still live in a fantasy world. At the track Mazda Miatas would be running circles around you LOL Your life is about JDM parts that are way over priced and give you barely any gains over non jdm parts. Your car is barely faster than an AUTO nsx. BUt I know those big seibon stickers you have on there gives like 100hp but I have few stickers in my garage too. Ones that will give you a hard on
TODA, MUGEN LOL Thats what you live for toda, mugen lol I have to spend 3 times as much for 1 hp and get the mugen part so my friends like me
this is the only way I can make them respect me, only if I spend way more money than them and tell them how my 2 hp gain is better than thier 1 hp gain from my intake LOL
YOU ARE JUST A PARTS COLLECTOR.

ALL I asked you was that if you took your car to the track yet and you went on saying HOW YOUR NSX is faster than any Auto NSX with a SUPERCHARGER or NITROUS. LOL WTF?

Vance the difference between me and you; well there alot but lets start with good looks, smarts and I actually know the girls I take pictures with. My bad I m being a Vance going off topic and twisting things to a different direction.

The difference is YOU LIE ALL THE TIME. You went from how Honda gave you a special NSXR engine with 303 rwhp and than you spent another $20K in wanna be nsxr parts and now you think your car has 7 more hp/tq= 310rwhp JUST so you can be a wanna be NSXR and still slow as yesterday. You worship your car and I use mine. You live to impress your import buddies, you don't hit the track so you can still live in a fantasy world. At the track Mazda Miatas would be running circles around you LOL Your life is about JDM parts that are way over priced and give you barely any gains over non jdm parts. Your car is barely faster than an AUTO nsx. BUt I know those big seibon stickers you have on there gives like 100hp but I have few stickers in my garage too. Ones that will give you a hard on
TODA, MUGEN LOL Thats what you live for toda, mugen lol I have to spend 3 times as much for 1 hp and get the mugen part so my friends like me
this is the only way I can make them respect me, only if I spend way more money than them and tell them how my 2 hp gain is better than thier 1 hp gain from my intake LOL
YOU ARE JUST A PARTS COLLECTOR.

ALL I asked you was that if you took your car to the track yet and you went on saying HOW YOUR NSX is faster than any Auto NSX with a SUPERCHARGER or NITROUS. LOL WTF?

ouch that one had many low blows. I am not here to defend vanchu since this conflict is strictly between you and him, but you are exaggerating like crazy as well. When you say a miata will run circles around you, you better mean at a Auto X which is what the NSX is poor at doing, but in any other competition of speed a NSX better run rings around a Miata. Also your saying how a NA2 with bolt ons and weight reduction is barely faster than a NA1 NA1 NSX? HAHAHAHHAHA I'm sorry I hope you didn't mean a STOCK auto NA1 NSX because then you are smoking just as much crack as what you claim Vanchu to be smoking. I've seen some of Vanchu's old acceleration run videos and from the way the speedo picked up and his terminal speed, I can tell you that its making atleast 280 whp.

ouch that one had many low blows. I am not here to defend vanchu since this conflict is strictly between you and him, but you are exaggerating like crazy as well. When you say a miata will run circles around you, you better mean at a Auto X which is what the NSX is poor at doing, but in any other competition of speed a NSX better run rings around a Miata. Also your saying how a NA2 with bolt ons and weight reduction is barely faster than a NA1 NA1 NSX? HAHAHAHHAHA I'm sorry I hope you didn't mean a STOCK auto NA1 NSX because then you are smoking just as much crack as what you claim Vanchu to be smoking. I've seen some of Vanchu's old acceleration run videos and from the way the speedo picked up and his terminal speed, I can tell you that its making atleast 280 whp.

Yes, I mean at auto X where miatas preform very well.
I m exaggerating when I said barely, I know its a whole 1 sec faster, which is alot. I was just trying to downplay it lol. You are missing the whole POINT bro. VANCE said that his Manual NSX can smoke ANY AUTO NSX WITH SUPERCHARGER or with NITROUS. He thinks this because he thinks the auto nsx only makes 230 rwhp (he wrong they make 250 rwhp I have 3 dyno's mine and some of others) even with a supercharger or nitrous in the auto nsx his car will DESTROY IT.
I don't agree with VANCEHU, I believe an auto nsx with nitrous has a lot more torque and hp at the right rpms where its needed would beat a manual with 280 rwhp and lot less tq (50-90 lbs of torque difference and 50-70 hp difference)

Do you agree with VANCEHU that a 280 rwhp 5 speed nsx (VANCEHU'S) can beat 250rwhp auto nsx with a 90 rwhp/TQ shot? Remember I set how much power I need at what rpm. WELL VANCEHU THINKS HIS 280-300 RWHP 5 speed will DESTROY 250+90=340 RWHP auto nsx in a quarter mile.
I simply saying he is dead wrong

While they are at it, I think cleanup us needed on aisle 9. :tongue: :biggrin:

Haha true. :biggrin:

I think infractions need to be dealt somewhere.
So much ad hominem, it's ridiculous. :mad:

Back