• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lamborghini Gallardo Insights

I've never driven one, but I have ridden in nearly every version (Standard manual, E-Gear., Superleggera, and LP560 (e-gear)) on a racetrack with a Lambo test driver at the wheel. (If anyone makes it to the La Belle Machina D'Italia show/track days up in Pocono, PA, Lambo USA does charity rides.)

The performance is obviously superb, but what I was more impressed with was that the demo cars they used ran all day (8-hours straight, 3 hot-laps and then about 3-5 minutes on pit road changing passengers with maybe a 15 minute break to refill every couple of hours), and none of them, for 5 years now have had a mechanical issue. When I say "ran", I mean they were getting a proper pasting, shifting at redline, and an occasionall four-wheel drift in the infield.

Obviously, these cars are factory supported, and followed around by mechanics...but still. I've seen plenty of other fairly new-ish supercars break something, puke coolant, or have something prematurely wear out while not being driven near as hard. (One of those SSC Aero things melted it's bodywork off in the rear a couple of years ago...which improved it's looks slightly).

If I weren't so poor :mad:, I'd buy a properly cared-for used Gallardo and drive the thing daily.

For all you folks who might not be aware or did not go, at NSXPO 2007 in Ohio we had dinner at Lamborghini of Ohio. http://www.lamborghiniohio.com/index2.htm

What a store. Got to see one with the trans removed and partially torn down in the ultra clean service area. Man that looked expensive.

Right now the cheapest Lambo car on their site is a 2006 Gallardo with 8012 miles for $149,900.00.

Hard to look inconspicuous in those.

After almost 2 years I thought I'd bump this thread. I looked at a Gallardo at a dealership a couple months ago - 04 with a Tubi exhaust and the secondary cats bypassed (from what I understand this setup will pass emissions in AZ, no CEL, etc). When the sales guy started the car it literally took my breath away. It was one of the most beautiful sounds I had ever heard. 2 years later and the prices haven't dropped dramatically on the early MYs. Several have been donated to police departments in Europe and have clocked some serious miles without any major issues. I've been keeping my eyes on the forums and haven't found anything that would scare me away from owning one. Now, I have a serious buyer scheduled to fly out here to pick up my car.

Time to start shopping!

unfortunately exotic cars are plagued by ignorant perceptions and endless hear-says. One guy says a clutch in a lambo is $15k to replace then everyone believes it. A guy says his engine overheated in his lambo/fcar and everyone thinks they're both prone to overheating.

unfortunately in this day and age and with the endless amount of information and sources available, you have to find a credible source to believe what you hear and read about.

I asked the same question before I sold my NSX and went for my 08 Gallardo Spyder. Truth be told, most people had no idea of what they were talking about...

First time driving it, it just got out of the shop that it was sitting in for 3 months getting modded and I did a exotic car rally from Seattle to Portland to San Fran to LA to Vegas... Could not believe how easy it was to drive and how much fun... Granted I could have bought the Murc if I wanted to but I feel like you sit so much lower in the Murc and there are a lot more blind spots, constantly getting out of my seat to check spots...

Since the rally I put on about 5k miles on it and not one thing wrong with it. Obviously this is an exotic and when you do maintenance your going to have to pay a little but that comes with the marque.

All in all i couldn't be happier with my selection and just like the NSX it has endless opportunity to mod the car, I can't stop :)

Pull the trigger, you won't regret it!!

Attachments

• whip.jpg
    whip.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 721
A few responses in this thread mentioned Gallardo clutch life might be problematic.

Someone I know with a Gallardo E-gear had the clutch go in about 17,000 miles; replacement cost was $15k.

A friend with a Diablo (circa 2000) had his clutch go at under 20,000 miles for a similar replacement cost.

Either Road & Track or Car & Driver had a Gallardo drop out of one of their comparison tests due to clutch failure.

Do I see a pattern?:rolleyes:

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

Just a heads up because I HATE when someone gives incorrect information, when you go do a clutch on a E-Gear Gallardo like I did mine, it cost me about $4000 to do a brand new factory clutch, nowhere near $15,000

Good Lord that thing looks awesome!!! I think I'm going to copy you on your wheel choice!

Thank you, car is getting Hamann kit fitted along with other goodies now, getting a professional photo shoot done in 2 weeks, will post pics.

Wheels are Strasse Forged S5's 20'' all around, 8.5' front and 11' rear. Carbon fiber face with white rivets and chrome lip

Don't mean to highjack thread, sorry!

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 212
  • wheel-2.jpg
    wheel-2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 188
Hijack away! Definitely keep us posted. Did you go with an aftermarket exhaust?

I haven't heard much in person, but that Tubi sounded amazing.

I bought the Kreissieg titanium exhaust and test pipes with the wireless remote for F1 Mode and quiet mode. I love it! Here is a quick clip I put up from this years Gold Rush Rally. Trying very hard not to take pics or video's until the car is done hahaha. Speakers don't do it justice as its very very loud in person!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE3je1yBhU0

Hijack away! Definitely keep us posted. Did you go with an aftermarket exhaust?

I haven't heard much in person, but that Tubi sounded amazing.

It's like buying a Harley - off goes the factory exhaust. When you buy a 355/360/430/Gallardo, whatever... those small displacement V8's and V10's sound incredible with the right aftermarket exhaust.

whats with all the decals on your gallardo:confused:

Wow Jorje. I can't even imagine what that sounds like in person.

You're right Baker, which is why it's so discouraging hearing one of those cars pass by with the factory exhaust.

Wow Jorje. I can't even imagine what that sounds like in person.

You're right Baker, which is why it's so discouraging hearing one of those cars pass by with the factory exhaust.

Ya it really does sound like a F1 car. Next time your in Vegas hit me up!

Thank you, car is getting Hamann kit fitted along with other goodies now, getting a professional photo shoot done in 2 weeks, will post pics.

Wheels are Strasse Forged S5's 20'' all around, 8.5' front and 11' rear. Carbon fiber face with white rivets and chrome lip

Don't mean to highjack thread, sorry!

Can't wait for pics!

The only thing I will say here is from my experience, Exotic cars are for guys who have real money and net worth upwards of 7 figures.

My dad used to tell me if you have to ask how much maintenance on these cars cost, then you can't afford it. I think it's pretty ignorant for anyone to assume a Lamborghini will be cheap to maintain. Who are you kidding?

Or another factor to consider is if you buy one, be prepared to lose at least 5-figures if you want to sell it later. I lost $20k selling mine and put only 980 miles back in 2007, had it for 10 months.

If you can't write a cash check for the car, you probably can't afford it comfortably. I'm sure if you sacrifice and give up everything a lot of NSX owners can afford one but who would do that to buy a car that you are guaranteed to lose more money?

Jorje and Rick are right. Most people had no idea of what they were talking about because they simply cannot afford one. The root problem is that if you want to purchase a Lambo you should go to a Lambo forum. That's where with the first-hand experiences. When you ask about a car with price tag of over $100k on this forum, the typical answers are how expensive they are, and why they don't worth the money. It happened here for GT-R, LFA, Ferrari, and etc. People tend to give you some negative feedback then usually go back to how great NSX is. After all, this is a NSX forum.

The cost of maintenance and depreciation are not factors when comes to purchase of an exotic car. Heck, I lost 25k in 20 months from my new M5, and that number is only going bigger. That's just an E60 M5; nowhere near exotic. My friend(arguably, he's kinda an @sshole) who actually owned several Ferrari and Porsche drops his car at the shop, and say: "Here is my card. Please call this number and my secretary will settle the bill." He doesn't even bother asking the cost of the service/maintenance. Bottom line? True exotic car owners don't care much about the cost of a clutch replacement. If it must be replaced, a bill of $6k or $15k makes little difference to them.

I can't entirely agree with the "money is no object" necessity for exotic car ownership....not up to a certain point anyway.

I think it's entirely feasible to own any of the "entry level" exotics (911 Turbo, Gallardo, F360/430, etc) without being so wealthy that you can round off maintenance costs to the nearest ten-thousand in your books. I think if you are mechanically inclined and not afraid to take care of the simpler maintenance items, and you budget for the larger ones, it's perfectly reasonable to expect to be able to comfortably afford a car like like this on an annual income of ~$100,000 or even a bit less (to qualify this, obviously not if you're also supporting a family of 4, a gambling habit, an over-finance McMansion, etc, etc....).

I know a number of only-modestly-well-to-do engineers who own cars in this same category. They are not subsisting solely on a diet of ramon noodles, none of their spouses have deserted them (well, not over the cars anyway), they have nice homes, etc.

You do have to know what you're getting into, you do have to have fiscal discipline, and it really helps to be able to buy the car out-right. A wise man once told me that if I could avoid it, I should not pay interest on toys :).

Last edited:
Exotic car owners should *net* 7 figures and be able to write cash checks for a $200,000 depreciating asset?

This type of hyperbole is just as crazy as the "clutch costs $15 grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!" hyperbole.

The fact is, if you are not homeless, not starving, are staying on top of your bills and owning the car, you can "afford it".

I never understand why so many people feel the need to create weird absolute "qualifier" rules with lifestyle choices.

I have a friend who grosses mid 6 figures... he never pays cash for *anything*, nor does he *buy* anything. He rents his apt in NYC, leases a new 8 cyl Ferrari every 3 years, etc. He burns about half of his net income on living and the rest he banks. His apt and car together run him about 11k all up (lease, rent, utilities, insurance and parking), he burns about another 4k for a total of 15k per month living. He banks like another 12k. His income is around 600k or so gross. He's been living this way for about 7 years now and has about a mil in cash and a couple mil in his 401k.

These are real numbers from a real guy. He is *nowhere near* 7 figure net, nor near what anyone would call a "millionaire". He's a very high income working guy. He *easily* affords the Ferrari. I mean *easily*.

I mean does he need a $6000 apt? Come on... It is not at all a stretch to see how someone living in a lower cost area could very easily own a used exotic on $200k/yr. It's all priorities.

Also... there is nothing evil or inherantly wrong/pathetic about financing something. If you can afford to pay cash, and want to, then do it. But it isnt some badge of honor. 99% of people finance their house. These days, that isnt an appreciating asset any longer. As long as you are able to make your payments and put some cash away and dont bite off more than you can chew, there is nothing wrong with using loans. Especially when money is incredibly cheap.

Every luxury item forum I visit, from cars to clothes, have people saying that unless you can "pay cash for it" you "cant afford it". To be honest, I think its folks just wanting to limit the "club" by discouraging people from joining, sorry to say...

I charged my rolex... and now its been long paid off... and since sold because I realized it just isnt my style. According to 90% of the rolex forum, I "couldnt afford it" b/c I initially charged it. Meanwhile its over and gone.

Ditto for the NSX. Ive never owned one that wasnt either leased or financed, and for that matter that goes the same for my 911 and my Vette when I owned those. My current NSX is now paid off. Many would say I "couldnt afford" any of those cars because I couldnt have comfortably bought them with cash, yet there it is.

Financing has a total cost associated with it. If you have the cash to buy the asset, you weight that cost against the time value of money and against the loss of having access to liquid funds and make your decision.

If you dont have the cash, you add that cost onto the purchase price and decide if you still think the object is worth owning at the new price. its as easy as that really. A car is a 3-5 year commitment from a finance perspective. At the kinds of interest rates you've been able to get for over a decade, it isnt so outrageous financing a car. ESPECIALLY a collectible/exotic which has already taken a huge chunk of its depreciation, OR a car that you buy new but know are going to keep for a good long while.

Last edited:
So your friend has an annual gross income of 600k, plus a million dollars in cash sitting in bank and another couple million bucks in his 401k. Hm...excuse me, but doesn't he fit the profile exactly? His total net is in the mid 7 figures range. I think everyone here agrees that with 600k a year we can easily afford a 300k or even a 500k car. And sure, if he wants to he can write a check for the Ferrari, but he choose to lease, which is smart imo. If he had to pay 15k for a clutch, will he protest and decide to disown his Ferrari? Or would he just swipe that credit card of his? Plus, how many people here on Prime have an annual income of 600k? But if you're in the Ferrari Enzo or Porsche GT owners meet, how many of them don't?

There is nothing wrong with financing or using a credit card, if you're sure you can afford it. I think the point they were saying is that, if you can't or don't want to pay for the high maintenance/service cost, you probably can't afford it. My personal opinion is with R13, with proper management and knowing what you're getting into, you can afford what you can afford, finance or not. Again, that's the reason why this type of questions should be asked in a Lamborghini forum, and not here. You'll get the exact picture of what you're getting into, instead of "this".

Being a proud NSX owner, and one who loves the look of an exotic sportscar - I was looking for some feedback on the Gallardo. I have heard from some that the car is quite reliable...but I have also seen numerous photos of burned-out and broken-down Gallardos. I would just hate to move towards this type of car and then watch it sit in a shop waiting for parts! Are Gallardos in the same vein as an NSX - that is...can they be driven like an NSX and put on the miles?

Thanks

Dam :cool:

Since the thread has went into who can afford this and that, here is the quick and dirty without going into detail.

Most Gallardo owners have other cars. It is an EXOTIC. A true exotic. GO drive one or watch the public reaction to it.

Dont get an 04. Get at least an 05 with Nose lift. 06 E-gear better than previous years. PPI before buying. $$ in bank in case something breaks.

If youre worried about it sitting for parts or at a mechanic, dont get it. Like I said owners have probably 2-3 or more cars to use. Plus the $$ to back it up. Know what youre getting into and youll be ok.

Lol

of course, there is always this approach:

http://jalopnik.com/5559767/i-sold-everything-to-buy-a-lamborghini-and-drive-across-the-country

To qualify my earlier statement though, If you buy something cash, and then something happens to it (wreck it at the track, for instance), you are not stuck in the unenviable situation of paying the bank for something you no longer have the use of. I finance my house like 99% of folks do, but it's not a "toy", more of a necessity that. However, if I can avoid paying anyone interest on something...I'm going to.

Last edited:
Are you saying this because of the nose lift option in '05?

I've only heard of issues with early production '04s.

04 was the first MY and with any car usually has some bugs, some cars will be great some may not.

The nose lift is just a super convenient option that started in 05. Car sits low, and lol I would lower it still, its a godsend to lift the nose on driveways and everything else you might need it for.

From what owners and dealers tell me Less issues with 05 and so on, but again if you are in the market buy the latest car you can afford.

Back