• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LBJ is going to Miami

Yeah it has to be Miami, or chicago. I hope Miami so they can be like the lakers and where the francise buys all the best players and makes an allstar team to compete.

I'll be tuning into espn.com after the whole broadcast to see Lebron pick Miami.

Bill Simmons has an article similar to the first one posted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100708

I like how Lebron's management company is made up of all of his high school friends. They all must have a wealth of experience and knowledge in this business...:rolleyes:

I don't think Lebron necessarily owes anything to Cleveland or it's fans.

I went to High School with him and grew up immersed in the Lebron James saga. I'm from Akron and I don't care where he moves to...people shouldn't take it personally. It's just a business. Other than the fact that the Cavs will suck once again.

Last edited:
I like how Lebron's management company is made up of all of his high school friends. They all must have a wealth of experience and knowledge in this business...:rolleyes:

They are sure a better job of keeping this a secret than most...including the White House!!!

6-white-bronco-oj-060404.jpg

What a complete and total douche bag!
First, I agree that if a talented athlete has served his contract and decides to pursue their career elsewhere they are more than free to leave- HOWEVER- there is a way to do things, and going on national tv to give a giant "fuck you" to your hometown is absolutely without class, and terrible terrible PR.

The sad thing is it seemed like he was actually surprised that Cleveland fans were pissed. How totally absorbed in your ego do you need to be to not know that this news is devastating to his legions of local fans? What kind of character basically humiliates a city, and an organization on TV like that?

The only news that would have been acceptable in that format was :"I'm staying in Cleveland"- any other decision should have been made quietly, and passed on to the public as a press release.

LeBron James may be a good basketball player, but at best he is inconsiderate and stupid regarding how to handle his image.

Last edited:
I agree, especially with the way it was handled...though less enthusiastically. ;) Should have stayed in Cleveland. That city needs his help and something to cheer about.

I sense there'll be a huge clash of egos in Miami. Someone is going to have to lead and the rest will have to follow. And Lebron doesn't have the maturity for leadership nor the ego to follow. They still need a decent center too. IMHO, Boston is still the team to beat in the East.

What a complete and total douche bag!
First, I agree that if a talented athlete has served his contract and decides to pursue their career elsewhere they are more than free to leave- HOWEVER- there is a way to do things, and going on national tv to give a giant "fuck you" to your hometown is absolutely without class, and terrible terrible PR.

The sad thing is it seemed like he was actually surprised that Cleveland fans were pissed. How totally absorbed in your ego do you need to be to not know that this news is devastating to his legions of local fans? What kind of character basically humiliates a city, and an organization on TV like that?

The only news that would have been acceptable in that format was :"I'm staying in Cleveland"- any other decision should have been made quietly, and passed on to the public as a press release.

LeBron James may be a good basketball player, but at best he is inconsiderate and stupid regarding how to handle his image.

Lebron is young and stupid.

In high school, Lebron was top shit. Everyone knew it and he knew it. The problem is, he is not a "gentleman" sports athlete. He grew up in a really shitty part of town, and only truly relied on his posse for support.

Now that he's making millions, why would he all of a sudden "grow up" and become respectable and knowledgeable about his career.

Now being thrown into the NBA, he still hasn't changed. I don't see how he can change. His posse full of idiots in high school are now following him and making decisions for him with his NBA career.

Again, he doesn't necessarily owe anything to Cleveland. He'll move where ever there's a bigger pay check.

Last edited:
Again, he doesn't necessarily owe anything to Cleveland. He'll move where ever there's a bigger pay check.

agree mostly

He took a smaller paycheck from the Heat- Cleveland actually had the largest $$$ on the table, but they haven't been able to give him the support he needs to get what he really wants: a Championship.

If LeBron can get a ring, then his endorsement $$$ will go through the roof, and that is the real payday in the land of Pro Athletics.

I understand the financials, and even leaving Cleveland to try and get a ring, but the classless way he went about it is inexcusable. This is why he will never be "great" like Jordan was great. He might be "good" but that is it, no matter how many rings he gets in Miami or elsewhere. His legacy is tarnished because he is a PR moron.

P

Good read.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...nberg/07/08/lebron.event/index.html?eref=sihp

LeBron hardly a king for taking the easy way out with star-laden Heat

GREENWICH, Conn., July 8, 1990 -- Michael Jordan announced on national television he's leaving Chicago to join the Detroit Pistons. Jordan said it was tough to bolt Chicago, where he was the most popular athlete in many years, because he thinks he has a better chance to win a championship if he plays with Pistons star Isiah Thomas. Jordan said by playing together, he and Thomas "won't have the pressure of going out and scoring 30 every night."

That would have sounded absurd, right? Well, it is no more absurd than what LeBron James is doing. Jordan was 27 years old in 1990, slightly older than James is now. He had never been to the NBA Finals. He had been beaten up by the Celtics and Pistons for years. He doubted his supporting cast was good enough.

But he never doubted himself.

And it became very clear Thursday night that LeBron James does doubt himself. James will be a champion in Miami -- if not next year, then sometime after that. If you put James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh together and give Pat Riley five years to find the complementary pieces, that team will win a championship.

But James does not have the heart of a champion. He does not have the competitive fire of Jordan, the bull-headed determination of Kobe Bryant, the quiet self-confidence of Tim Duncan, the willful defiance of Isiah or the winning-is-everything hunger of Magic Johnson.

He is an extremely gifted player who wants the easy way out.

And how do we know this?

James said so himself.

Oh, not in so many words. But once ESPN was done ESPN-izing its LeBron coverage -- filling it with babbling experts, needless hype and Jim Gray submitting his top six entries in the Stupidest Question Ever contest -- the self-proclaimed King said everything you need to know about him.

1. "You have to do what's best for you, and what's going to make you happy."

This is what's going to make him happy? Sharing a stage with two other stars? Really?

I guess that's all LeBron is: A complementary player with superstar talent. We should have figured this out before: He got that giant CHOSEN 1 tattoo on his back and calls himself King James because he is desperate for reassurance.

There is no greater challenge in sports getting drafted by a godawful team, planting your flag in a city and working like crazy until you have turned that team into a champion.

LeBron James didn't want the challenge. He wanted to play with his buddies.

2. "We don't have the pressure of going out and scoring 30 every night or shooting a high percentage."

Whoa. Hold on there. Scoring 30 a night is too much pressure for one of the five most talented players ever?

Find me another all-time NBA great who would utter those words. Jordan would rather do an adidas commercial than say that. Bryant must have laughed as he heard the so-called "King" say that. Larry Bird? The next time he complains about pressure will be the first. Magic was the greatest team player of the last 40 years, but he was also so competitive that he wanted to play Jordan one-on-one in a promotional event -- and this was when Magic had won titles and Jordan had not, so Magic had more to lose.

3. "I know how loyal I am."

The man just dumped his hometown(s) on national television. Cleveland (and, by extension, Akron) happens to be the most tortured sports city in America. To do that, then say "I know how loyal I am" ... wow, wow, wow.

I wish I could sit in on one of LeBron's meetings with his advisers. Does he make them all wear mirrored sunglasses, so that when he looks at them he sees himself?

We really don't ask that much of our sports stars. Try not to get arrested for anything big. Don't curse at the fans. You know, small stuff. We even understand that 95 percent of the time, they will make career decisions based on money -- we might not love it, but we understand it.

But see, the biggest thing that we ask of our sports stars is this: Take the competition as seriously as we do.

When LeBron James loses to Boston in the playoffs, we want him to take the heat, not take the Heat's offer. We want him to spend the summer adding to his game, calling and texting his teammates, plotting to do better next season.

Instead, well ...

4. "It's about joining forces with the other two guys."

He sounds like a nine-year-old playing Star Wars games with his buddies at a sleepover. And again: I do believe this Miami team will win a title. But it won't be as easy as he wants it to be. Miami will have the weakest bench of any contender next season After that, the NBA will have a lockout, and the league could eliminate the mid-level exception, which would be Miami's best tool for adding talent.

So this is a cop-out, but it's not as easy of a cop-out as it appears. And that brings us to ...

5. "This is the greatest challenge for me."

LeBron James just jumped into an elevator and wants us to think he can fly. Sorry, but we know better. We know that he did something Michael, Magic, Bird and Bill Russell never would have done. We know he ditched Cleveland for an All-Star team.

But you know what? In Miami, anything short of a title will be a failure. Nobody outside of Miami will root for this team, and nobody in Miami roots for anybody. They're too busy enjoying the weather.

I thought he would stay in Cleveland, because I thought all he cared about was adoration. I was wrong about Cleveland, but he is wrong about adoration. He thinks he'll get it by winning a title. He has insulated himself from the world, surrounded himself with yes men. He has no idea how much backlash he is about to get.

That's one of the great ironies of this -- James is trying to flee pressure, but he will just face more of it. He is trying to maximize his "brand," but he just damaged it.

The first time I watched LeBron James live, I thought he could be the greatest player ever. The sad truth for us, for him, and for the NBA is that he never really believed it himself.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...bron.event/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0tCdAxr2m

There is only one problem to all this ranting nonsense: Cleveland is a dead city. It is a hole in the earth that is filled with gloom and doom. I don't question anyone who disires, has the ability, and chooses to leave.

But going to Miami for the easy ring???? Man, that's lame. I would have understood NY, even Chicago to a lesser extent. And I actually support his departure from the Cleveland steamer! But he HAS copped out, regardless if he wants to admit it to himself. I see the ring within 2 years.

I think he planned to return to Cleveland to retire, but no way is it going to happen.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

great SI article and sums it up perfectly.

It's sad that he did give Cleveland seven fun years of basketball and most people here will still hate him because of the circus surrounding his "decision." I don't fault him for leaving either (he has every right to do so), just the way he did it.

I just always thought he was too egotistical to join someone elses team, guess I was wrong like many others.

It will be interesting to see how his "brand" and "legacy" holds up, considering it was built on loyalty. I personally thought if he only won one championship for Cleveland in his career, it would mean more than multiples from another team. But I'm also from the area and a little biased :)

Another interesting perspective: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-lebrondecision070910

Last edited:
No one will remember any of this if they win a title, you'll see Heat jerseys everywhere. Everyone was on Kobe after he was accused of rape, but he dribbled the basketball well and now everyone loves him again. All this stuff they are printing about how LBJ didn't do it right... no one will remember ANY of this in a year.

If someone gave me a choice of living in Ohio.... or Miami... are you kidding me? He's going to be partying in south beach for the next few years and he will probably win a title there at some point if not next year.

I would have done the same thing. Love does not come from doing the "right" thing anymore... whatever that is. It comes from winning. Why do we all cheer for "our" team? because it gives us a little ego boost when "we" win even when we sat on our ass with a remote in our hand. We love the guys that can give us that ego boost. The rest of this "doing things right" and "being commited to your hometown".... its not how it works. This is 2010 baby...

Last edited:
I heard in the days coming up to the decision, LeBron didn't answer or return calls to the Cleveland owners. 3 of the best players in the league on the same team is formidable, but now they're out of money so they have to get good players that will take the NBA minimum. It still takes 2 more players playing along side with them and a bench to win in this league. Even Boston with their big 3 have a very good supporting cast.

Here's the Dan Gilbert Letter to Cleveland fans:

Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight; As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.
This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.
Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.
Story continues below

<script type="text/javascript"> document.write(''); document.write('<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" width="300" height="250" style="width:300px;height:250px;overflow:hidden" name="ad_mid_article" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/huffpost.sports/longpost;daily-brief=1;featured-posts=1;sports=1;entry_id=640318;cavs-fans=1;cavs-majority-owner-letter=1;cleveland-cavaliers=1;cleveland-majority-owner-letter=1;dan-gilbert=1;dan-gilbert-lebron-james=1;dan-gilbert-letter=1;dan-gilbert-letter-lebron-james=1;dan-gilbert-letter-to-lebron=1;dan-gilbert-reaction=1;lebron-james=1;lebron-james-cavs-letter=1;lebron-james-letter=1;global=1;' + HPAds.ads_client_side_qvs() + ';load_mode=inline;page_type=bpage;pos=mid_article;sz=300x250;tile=3;ord=2780747041?"></iframe>'); var debugadcode = ''; debugadcode = debugadcode.replace(/\' \+ HPAds.ads_client_side_qvs\(\) \+ \';/gi,HPAds.ads_client_side_qvs()); document.write(debugadcode); </script><iframe class=" eaweronlvwqvwowvgtfn eaweronlvwqvwowvgtfn" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" style="width: 300px; height: 250px; overflow: hidden;" name="ad_mid_article" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/huffpost.sports/longpost;daily-brief=1;featured-posts=1;sports=1;entry_id=640318;cavs-fans=1;cavs-majority-owner-letter=1;cleveland-cavaliers=1;cleveland-majority-owner-letter=1;dan-gilbert=1;dan-gilbert-lebron-james=1;dan-gilbert-letter=1;dan-gilbert-letter-lebron-james=1;dan-gilbert-letter-to-lebron=1;dan-gilbert-reaction=1;lebron-james=1;lebron-james-cavs-letter=1;lebron-james-letter=1;global=1;cap_12=n;qcs=D;qcs=T;;load_mode=inline;page_type=bpage;pos=mid_article;sz=300x250;tile=3;ord=2780747041?" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="250" width="300"></iframe>

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.
There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.
You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.
You have given so much and deserve so much more.
In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:
"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER 'KING' WINS ONE"
You can take it to the bank.
If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.
Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.
Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.
This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.
But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.
The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.
Just watch.
Sleep well, Cleveland.
Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....
I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:
DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert
Majority Owner
Cleveland Cavaliers

Just like I said. We love that ego boost. If you give it to me LBJ, I love you. If you go elsewhere and take it away from me, I hate you. Love. Hate. LOL... It's OK... Miami will love him and he will have a beach and a title to go along with it. Gilbert is an idiot. He sounds like a 12 year old. You are the owner of an NBA team... be more professional. Cry behind closed doors. He filled your arena for many years. Anyway, Cleveland is done.

Miami is an instant favorite in the east now, and they WILL do well. We'll see what the old guys in Boston have left next year.

Last edited:
Dan Gilbert is acting like a child. Case in point:

Fat Head is offering a drastic discount on the removable wall graphics featuring James about to deliver a slam dunk. The price? $17.41. The reason? That's the year Benedict Arnold was born.

Oh yea, Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert owns Fat Head.

http://www.fearthesword.com/2010/7/9/1561183/lebron-james-fat-head-drastically?ref=yahoo

Aside from the letter and these childish jabs, I do think he will do what it takes to rebuild the Cavs (especially now that he has been scorned). It will be scary to see what info Gilbert continues to leak out or do. Crazy billionares.

I actually think Lebron will end up taking the high road on this fight.

Dan Gilbert handled this poorly.

You ain't kiddin. I do hope he delivers on his vengefulness though.

People who have said Cleveland is beleaguered are absolutely correct, but they have forgotten the passion of the Cleveland Sports fan. I lived there for 8 years of my life, and never was a fan of the Cleveland teams (I'm from Pittsburgh) but I can and will say that the Cleveland fan has forged their loyalty from stronger stuff than most. How else do you explain the droves of fans that turn out for a Cleveland Browns game to watch one of the NFLs lowest ranked teams play in some of the crummiest weather conditions possible? The Cavs fan is equally dedicated, even before the LeBron era. In Cleveland they talk about "The Drive" When Elway and the Broncos took the AFC Championship, and they talk about "The Fumble" Where they just lost an AFC Championship, there is "the Shot" where Jordan ended the Cavs playoff run and now "The Decision" where their hometown hero abandoned them to take an easier road to a championship.

I'll admit, I've never been a Cleveland fan- in fact I have been known to say "It's not the Browns that I hate- it's their fans" but even with that sort of animosity in my back pocket I am sad for them today.

It reminds me of the scene in the Adam Sandler movie Little Nicky where Harvey Keitel as the Devil is choosing which pineapple to shove up Hitlers ass

Sorry Cleveland, you deserved better.

Maybe just the small pineapple today.

I no longer want to hear Lebron referred to as King. Actually he can be called king, as long as Kobe is now referred to as EMPEROR of the NBA. Lebron is nothing but a Bishop on a chessboard. The great ones MJ, BIRD, and MAGIC carried their teams not join forces. Lebron just turned follower from being a leader. Wow what an act of sleazy-ness from both Lebron and Gilbert. Lebron doesn't really owe Cleveland anything he is a FREE agent, but to embarass the city of Cleveland the way he did was really uncalled for. He should have had a meeting with their management and given them the news privately. Then held a press conference to publicize his new home. 1 hour infomericial? I knew his ego was big, but I didn't know it was big enough to fill the Everglades. And Gilbert is an NBA team owner, he should also act with more class, the dude rants like a 12 year old fanboy. This is starting to get real interesting now. If the Heat and Lakers make it to the Finals together, and the Lakers win, Kobe will further cement his legacy and in my opinion go down as the best to ever play the game. (My favorite player is Magic Johnson).

1. He will have 6 rings to tie with MJ.
2. He will surpass Magic in rings.
3. He and the Lakers dft arguably the most dominant trio ever in the NBA.
4. He will push the Lakers to tie the Celtics with the most championships.
5. Phil Jackson will get his 4th three-peat and 12th championship and
retire or go out with a bang, a BIG ONE.

Kobe>Wade
Gasol>Bosh
Lebron>Artest
Bynum>Anyone Miami signs to Center Position.
Lamar, Fisher, Blake, > Miami's minimum roster.

LAKERS in 2011!!!!

Back