Leather seat/bolster repair...

Bolster wear is a common issue with the NSX. My Mini Cooper had the same problem. I called Leather Medic - a franchise - and I was as amazed as the first time I used a paintless dent guy. The repair was perfect/undetectable even with a couple of unusual colors to match. If your drivers bolsters are showing signs of wear, I would not hesitate to call these guys. $160.00 and it took about an hour and a half. Check it out - I only wish I had shot a couple "before" pics:
seatwide.jpg

BolsterCU.jpg

Hi,

Would you please tell us more about this product? Is it a cover for the bolster, or is it a product that is applied to the leather? Thanks!

Philippe

Hi,

Would you please tell us more about this product? Is it a cover for the bolster, or is it a product that is applied to the leather? Thanks!

Philippe

It's actually a process.

I watched most of it...really amazing. As I mentioned in my original post...I wish I had shot some before pictures. The bolster wear was very noticeable.

The guy lightly wet sanded the damaged areas... then airbrushed a base liquid over the damaged part. He held a flexible plastic piece with a matching leather texture on top of the area he coated and applied heat to cure it. Then he color matched both the grey leather and the red leather with coloring and using an airbrush applied it to check the match. Once he was satisfied, he sprayed the damaged areas...used heat to cure it and when it was dry applied a sealer coat. It truly is undetectable...especially given the color of the leather - and you can't feel any difference either. He said if I noticed any change in the area - just give him a call and he'd take care of it. He told me he's seen jobs he's done over a year ago and they still look great.

He said most people wait until it's too late to have this done...and the leather is damaged beyond repair.

Last edited:
Hi, m3456y

Thanks for the info. I wonder if there's a "leather medic" in Albuquerque.

Philippe

great alternative to re-covering your interior...

If not, try calling some of the larger car dealers in your area. Many use this service when they recondition trade-ins.
I worked for the local-area Acura dealership one summer ( :D ) during my break from grad'school. The trade-ins that came went through a reconditioning process by the dealership's used-vehicle department. They had a mobile custom-interior guy in a fully-equipped van come in regularly and do his job (as m345y had done).

At the time, I believe the rate was $40-$60/seating-area. But, obviously each job warranted it's own estimate/expenditure depending on wear/tear. The final result was always great. Some of the techniques I observed, I used on my own seat-bolster/door-handle to address wear (ie. resurfacing, filler-material, dying/color-matching, texturing, sealing, etc').

Sounds like a have-someone-do-it-for-you Leatherique or ColorPlus type process. I've contemplated this myself, as I think I could probably pull off a DIY with the above products, but I don't really have the patience for it.

I am going to do a DIY Leatherique die job on my 2000 tan. The seats are still in good shape, but I have the usual bolster spider cracking and there is one part on the bottom seat cushion that looks like it folded over and just rubbed the die right off the surface.

I will document it with photos and HD video and will post it when I am done. :cool:

I am going to do a DIY Leatherique die job on my 2000 tan. The seats are still in good shape, but I have the usual bolster spider cracking and there is one part on the bottom seat cushion that looks like it folded over and just rubbed the die right off the surface.

I will document it with photos and HD video and will post it when I am done. :cool:

I did the leatherique process on RX-7 seats that went into my Chevelle. I'm happy with their product but i'd advise against using the clear coat. It leaves a shiny film (which is what a clear coat does I guess!!) and now the seats have a cheap vinyl look to them. I haven't had the time to redo them but it was very good with just the leather dye - before the CC.

my $0.02.

P1030292.jpg

Last edited:
I did the leatherique process on RX-7 seats that went into my Chevelle. I'm happy with their product but i'd advise against using the clear coat. It leaves a shiny film (which is what a clear coat does I guess!!) and now the seats have a cheap vinyl look to them. I haven't had the time to redo them but it was very good with just the leather dye - before the CC.

my $0.02.

Not going to CC. Did you use the crack filler? My cracks are very small and wondering if they are just surface cracks in the dye that will come out when sanding.

Not going to CC. Did you use the crack filler? My cracks are very small and wondering if they are just surface cracks in the dye that will come out when sanding.
I did use the crack filler. very good stuff. it will fix cracks but not creases. you can see the creases on the side bolsters in the above pic.

Last edited:
One last question.... did you use a brush or airbrush it?

Oh, BTW I read online that someone did the CC and didn't like the gloss so he used their prep agent and rubbed it and then wet sanded very, very lightly with 600 grit and it took the shine off but didn't remove the die.

Last edited:
One last question.... did you use a brush or airbrush it?
Both. You will find you *need* to use a brush in the hard to reach areas. The brush will leave brush strokes on the smooth surfaces. Ambient temperatures matter a lot also. I did mine when it was cold (60 deg) and I wish I waited until it was warmer.

Oh, BTW I read online that someone did the CC and didn't like the gloss so he used their prep agent and rubbed it and then wet sanded very, very lightly with 600 grit and it took the shine off but didn't remove the die.
funny you mention. i was thinking something along the same lines. thx!

Back