• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Let's hear your stories, what was the dumbest thing a salesperson has said to you?

Re: Let's hear your stories, what was the dumbest thing a salesperson has said to you?

GOTTSPD said:
4WD is definitely not the same as AWD. In an AWD vehicle, there are 3 differentials, but in a 4WD there are 2. AWD vehicles are designed to apportion power between all 4 wheels irrespective of the vehicles speed, where it is generally considered unwise to drive a 4WD in 4WD mode at highway speeds nor for an extended period...

I own a Hummer it is full time 4wd, is it unwise to drive it at highway speeds or for an extended period of time? I also own a 993 TT with AWD, this system puts a set amount of the engine power to the rear and a set amount to the front and doesn't vary based on slippage or speed so in your definition this isn't an AWD vehicle?

Read this link it might answer some questions:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/4WD-AWD-autoAWD.html

Yes on a vehicle such as my Ford F350 it doesn't make sense to run in 4wd on dry pavement at any speed. Why would you want to? But if the roads are wet or icy putting the vehicle into 4wd at highway speeds is highly recommended.

For any vehicle you take off road having the option to force the vehicle into 4wd is great to have and having the ability to lock the differentials is even better.

I never said that AWD and 4wd were the same but for a lot of people the distinction isn't that great.

Re: Let's hear your stories, what was the dumbest thing a salesperson has said to you?

Any salesman who has ever said, "This car handles like it's on rails!" I hate this line and think it's one of the cheesiest things ever said about any car.

A guy I work with ordered a 4-Runner awhile back. He ordered it with a sunroof and running boards. The salesman later called to tell him it was in. He drove to the dealership to pick it up. They couldn't find it anywhere. After a few hours of calling around, they finally found it had been taken to one of their tent sales at a local high school parking lot. He was miffed about that, but drove to the tent sale to check it out. The 4-Runner was there, but it didn't have a sunroof or running boards on it. He was mad and started to leave when the salesmen started telling him that they could install an aftermarket sunroof and running boards. He swore, straight face that the aftermarket items were better anyway. Needless to say, he didn't buy the car. Why would a Toyota salesman tell a customer that aftermarket is better than the factory options?:confused:

DocL said:
Chevy delaer for new Z-06: "We won't let you test drive this car unless you buy it first."

Me: "Goodbye!!"

LOL that is so lame. they want you to buy that crap so you are stuck with it cause they knoe you will not like the way it drives.

SilverOne said:
I've had exact experience with the 350Z when it first came out. I was told by the sales guy as rare and limited produced. And unless I make a committment to buy, they will not let me drive it.

I happen to have the NSX with me, so I pointed over at my car and asked them if it was as limited as the NSX? If not, then probably not worth the $ or my time to bother.

They handed me the key, but only allowed me to go around the block. I didn't even get out of 2nd gear. Came back to the dealership, the sales guy and manager came over and asked me to go inside to start the paperwork. I laughed and told them.., "I just didn't feel it. Thanks! Buh Bye"

Think getting a test drive is hard? Bring up a 3rd party inspection with a compression and leak-down test with your salesman...

White92 said:
Any salesman who has ever said, "This car handles like it's on rails!" I hate this line and think it's one of the cheesiest things ever said about any car.

A guy I work with ordered a 4-Runner awhile back. He ordered it with a sunroof and running boards. The salesman later called to tell him it was in. He drove to the dealership to pick it up. They couldn't find it anywhere. After a few hours of calling around, they finally found it had been taken to one of their tent sales at a local high school parking lot. He was miffed about that, but drove to the tent sale to check it out. The 4-Runner was there, but it didn't have a sunroof or running boards on it. He was mad and started to leave when the salesmen started telling him that they could install an aftermarket sunroof and running boards. He swore, straight face that the aftermarket items were better anyway. Needless to say, he didn't buy the car. Why would a Toyota salesman tell a customer that aftermarket is better than the factory options?:confused:

Because he wanted to sell a 4 runner that day.:wink:

VampNSX said:
LOL that is so lame. they want you to buy that crap so you are stuck with it cause they knoe you will not like the way it drives.

Sometimes I think that maybe true, but in the case of the new Z06's I think they are saying that because they have a waiting list of people to buy them. And from everything I have read I don't believe most car guys would be disapointed with the new Vette.

I haven't had a chance to drive one yet, but people I have talked to sure like them. I am not so sure how they will hold up over the long run though.

nchopp said:
would YOU buy a car without driving it first? Particularly a car that's such a luxury item?
Yes.

GOTTSPD said:
4WD is definitely not the same as AWD. In an AWD vehicle, there are 3 differentials, but in a 4WD there are 2. AWD vehicles are designed to apportion power between all 4 wheels irrespective of the vehicles speed, where it is generally considered unwise to drive a 4WD in 4WD mode at highway speeds nor for an extended period...
In all fairness, it wouldn't bother me if a salesperson did not understand that distinction. However, I would expect him to understand the difference between either of those, and two wheel drive. And to know which models and versions power the car through two wheels, and which ones through four.

AU_NSX said:
I understand what you are saying but isn't that why they have demonstrators???

I would not buy a car without a test drive! And I would not buy a car from a salesman who treats me like a 17yr old with no money!

Isn't this the truth...

Originally Posted by AU_NSX
"I understand what you are saying but isn't that why they have demonstrators??? "

"Demo cars" are cars used by Dealer dept managers as thier daily drivers...I have never heard of an NSX Demo car.

Last edited:

Carguy! said:
I own a Hummer it is full time 4wd, is it unwise to drive it at highway speeds or for an extended period of time? I also own a 993 TT with AWD, this system puts a set amount of the engine power to the rear and a set amount to the front and doesn't vary based on slippage or speed so in your definition this isn't an AWD vehicle?

Read this link it might answer some questions:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/4WD-AWD-autoAWD.html

Yes on a vehicle such as my Ford F350 it doesn't make sense to run in 4wd on dry pavement at any speed. Why would you want to? But if the roads are wet or icy putting the vehicle into 4wd at highway speeds is highly recommended.

For any vehicle you take off road having the option to force the vehicle into 4wd is great to have and having the ability to lock the differentials is even better.

I never said that AWD and 4wd were the same but for a lot of people the distinction isn't that great.

Carguy,
I was under the impression that the 996tt awd system goes 100% rw under full acceleration.:confused: but when driven at a consisten speed it is set at 30% front and 70% rear

Couple of year ago, went to the car agent and was looking at an Integra Type R. A salesperson approched and just said "very nice car. with VTEC engaging at 3000 rpm!"
Yup he said that! Amazing especially the Integra was 1 out of 3 cars in the showroom! Not a good selling point

zahntech said:
"Demo cars" are cars used by Dealer dept managers as thier daily drivers...I have never heard of an NSX Demo car.

Well in Australia, we have demonstrators... for common cars, say like a commodore, falcon, camry etc. You will have a demonstrator at every dealer. this is the car you test drive, if you want to buy one you will get a new one off the showroom floor or order it with your options. Demonstrators are eventually sold off substancially discounted.

For exotic cars, they also have demonstrators. but in the case of the NSX they had one demonstrator for the country. If you wanted to test drive the NSX you would have to make an appointment for the test drive. If you wanted to buy one, you would place an order. You could of course buy the demo car if you didn't want to wait the 3 months delivery.

These demonstrators are also the cars given to motoring journalists for evaluation...

Last edited:

jlindy said:
Mine has nothing to do with lies or deception, but instead the cheesiest line I have ever heard from a salesguy trying to get you to come in and buy a car from him. About 8 years ago, I called this dealership to see if they had any of the cars in stock that I was looking for since it was about a 45 minute drive. The guy I spoke to on the phone said that they in fact did have some in stock, so I decided to make the drive in. When I asked him who to ask for he said, "My name is Mike Z. That's Z for Zorro because I slash prices". :eek: I was truly embarassed for him and couldn't bring myself to ever buying a car from someone who called himself Zorro the price slasher. :biggrin: Years later he was hired at a company I was working at and I made sure I gave him plenty of trouble for that.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!:biggrin: I just watched the latest zorro on DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NsSeX said:
Carguy,
I was under the impression that the 996tt awd system goes 100% rw under full acceleration.:confused: but when driven at a consisten speed it is set at 30% front and 70% rear

I have the 993, which was the generation previous to the 996. I am not sure if the 996 varies the power from front to rear. It doesn't make sense to me that under full acceleration it would go to 100% rear wheel drive as you would get much more tire spin and take away the bigest advantage of AWD.

The 993 puts 1/3 to the front and 2/3 to the rear.

zahntech said:
Most dealers have demonstrator cars for test drives. Some of the demonstrator cars may also be used by department managers (for commuting and personal use in their off-hours), but usually those cars are available for test drives whenever they are at the dealership.

"Why do you care what the price is? You're an engineer, you guys make lots of money."

"We give all our new cars a 50-point inspection before we sell them." (the tires on the new Integra they sold me had air pressures a couple PSI higher than the max allowable pressure listed on the sidewalls)

nsxtasy said:
Most dealers have demonstrator cars for test drives. Some of the demonstrator cars may also be used by department managers (for commuting and personal use in their off-hours), but usually those cars are available for test drives whenever they are at the dealership.

"Most"?....not where I come from, I have worked for 5 dealers in the seattle area and none of them had "demonstrator cars" .....

If you wanted a car you picked it off the line and drove it...the "demo" cars were driven daily by the dept managers and were available to drive but only if you wanted to drive with some managers kid's baby seat in the car...

In Australia they seem to have a different program but here in seattle you need to show intent to buy if you want to drive a super car.

While at a Honda dealer picking up MTF:
"Is that the new Prelude?"

confused.gif

zahntech said:
"Most"?....not where I come from, I have worked for 5 dealers in the seattle area and none of them had "demonstrator cars" .....

If you wanted a car you picked it off the line and drove it...the "demo" cars were driven daily by the dept managers and were available to drive but only if you wanted to drive with some managers kid's baby seat in the car...
Maybe things are different out there with all those Microsoft millionaires running around... :D

Do you need some kind of degree or something to sell cars at a dealership? This thread almost makes me want to becomes a salesman at a dealer. It doesnt take that much time to take the books, read them, and tell people about the damn car. Looking at the book while with someone is just like "WTF you are SOPOSSED to know about this car", and everything little thing about it too, not just the name of the vehicle. However, are there any drawbacks to being a salesman, I cant think of any?

Pacemaker Kid89 said:
are there any drawbacks to being a salesman, I cant think of any?
Here are some: Working evenings and weekends. Working long hours, and in most cases not getting all that much money for doing so. A lot of time spent waiting around doing nothing. In many places, having the dealership and other sales people cheat you out of your commissions.

This article is a good read on what it's like to sell cars.

nsxtasy said:
Here are some: Working evenings and weekends. Working long hours, and in most cases not getting all that much money for doing so. A lot of time spent waiting around doing nothing. In many places, having the dealership and other sales people cheat you out of your commissions.

This article is a good read on what it's like to sell cars.

How about walking around a several acre car lot showing someone a car in 105 degree weather in El Paso. I can hear my old sales manager asking me if "the sweat is running down the crack of my ass" !!! (while he sat in an air conditioned office) :mad: He had a way with words.

Car sales is a cut throat survival based business. I did it for one summer while working my way through college.

GOTTSPD said:

Driving a 4WD vehicle in tight circles will create wheel hop. An AWD vehicle will not have wheel hop while in AWD mode.

Me: is this 300 zx turbo?
salesman : Well Its slightly turbo.

Me: Yeah i erlaly hesitate on rx7's (FD) because of there reliability...
Dealership owner: OHH thats nonsense, rotary engines are at least twice as reliable as your hondas engine, in fact most of them last at least 300k
me: and you said the engine on that one out there was replaced at 120k?
him:...

I am a 19 year old but i am saving every cent for my NSX, even with this im still dismissed at car dealerships when looking at most cars, ie i go to a honda dealership to look at an s2k and am quickly shown to the new civic. ( which in my opinion is terrible... ( the gauges are awfull and the engine bays too small ))

and as for awd vs 4wd i believe the difference is taht awd is on always and that 4wd can be turned on and off. Before looking at it in more depth on www.howstuffworks.com , i had always thought that 4wd all wheels distrubted the power equally at all times and awd allowed the power to be transfered as it is needed to the tire that would have the most traction.:confused:

EDIT: Yayy I think I was actually right! --->http://auto.howstuffworks.com/frame...ttp://www.thecarguy.com/articles/drivesys.htm

Anything a salesperson says to me that I know in BS I immediatly ask for it in writting. This usually shuts them up and they then stick to the facts and stop wasting my time with lies.

I recently looked at a huge commercial building I was going to rehab into garden apartments for the elderly. The building seemed like a great deal and I was ready to buy. I asked her where was parking on the property. She stated there was only one parking spot for the entire 44k Sq Ft building but people could park in the lot next door at the bank. I asked if she would put that in writting and she flat out refused and became angry with me. I will not deal with her again because of this. Too bad for her because I buy quite a bit of property in her sales area. I am always sure to make her aware, through other agents, of anything I do buy in her area.:biggrin:

Back