• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Let's hear your work horror stories

You Didn't Explain......

MYNSX said:
If after knocking off he regulator NOW UNREGULATED

.....that the regulator broke off. :rolleyes: Your post made it sound like the burner was on and the can was simply knocked over. Sorry, I win. :tongue:

I have seen a video where a tank had the part that threads in the top of the tank knocked off. The tank took off like a rocket. The video was captured by a security camera on a loading dock at a hospital.

steveny said:
I have seen a video where a tank had the part that threads in the top of the tank knocked off. The tank took off like a rocket. The video was captured by a security camera on a loading dock at a hospital.

Yeah, but have you seen the video of the kid shooting a bottle rocket from his butt?:biggrin:

Used to work in a hyperbaric chamber. The O2 lines were cleaned and when fired up the dust that was left ignited and blew the lines out. Stacks of paper caught on fire and a woman's dress and pantyhose were melted on to her back. The panic was unreal since they ran the test at lunch. Scary day.

NSX-Stalker

When I was 22 years old I went up to Alaska to work on a King Crab boat in Alaska. I worked out in 20-40 ft waves, -10 to -20 degree weather, with winds just snapping at you. I did this because my first job out of college they hired 20 stockbroker trainees and fired 20 trainees over 3 months. I then went and tried commercial real estate and 6 months into the job (while working on a $1000 month draw) I had basically nothing to my name and made enough to pay the boss back and I had a couple of thousand bucks. I realized a college degree entitles you to absolutely 0. Keep in mind I worked all through college and thought my chances would greatly improve on getting a good job. Corporate America is the biggest Bordello in the world!!! :eek:

I took home over 40k in nine weeks of excruciating work that gave me a apprecation for life. I remember while freezing being happy I had a poptart to eat as a snack. I bought a can of coca cola once for $50.00.... Throwing up, being sick, tired and hurt I forced myself to continue. Their was no I'm sick, tired, have the sniffles. You either pull your weight or deal with the rest of the crew. Accidents do happen out in the ocean and I was not going to be one of them. It is the most dangerous job in the world (I still can't believe my wuss ass did it) :tongue: Over the next 10 years I put the money into action and think about the great roller coaster!!!

I guess I have always liked the black and white. Own or be owned. Rich or poor. To have or to not have. The grey always bored me. Mediocracy just sucks!

What it comes down to is people will do things under necessity. Myself given the situation of being a slave to corporate america or retire as quick as possible was a no brainer. Choices. We all make them and sometimes difficult ones define your character.

If you are slaving away for the "man", figure a way out or GET BACK TO WORK!!! I will be sleeping!!! :biggrin:

Last edited:
NsXMas said:
wow are you serious? how do you afford to keep playing with the NSX and all the toys being unemployed?

Hope you find a job soon!

What's the new layout you're talking about, btw?

Learn to live within your means and not beyond. I work for a union and eventually things will start to pick up and I will be back to work again.

Here is a work horror story of late. Frank (NSXMAS) calls to see whats up...Better yet Chris (SOS) calls and tells me when my car will be ready with my new parts at the "crack of noon"!!!:tongue:

The horror and absolute injustice!!!:biggrin:

blackcat said:
When I was 22 years old I went up to Alaska to work on a King Crab boat in Alaska. <snip>
i'd heard about how difficult this job was but never began to really appreciate it until i caught some of the episodes on tv. naturally, i dont believe the episodes tell anywhere near the *whole* story but, boy-howdy, congrats on surviving and walking away with some cash. woof!

MYNSX said:
Well I was there.
i understood there was a gap in the details, thanks for providing them... my family comes from the trades and i've heard a few horror stories like this. this is why i *always* check licenses, certs, permits & insurance papers before anyone does work on my property - it's amazing how many apparently legitimate people/workers will mislead or outright lie right up to the point of handing over the docs.

NsXMas said:
I had an unbelievably hellish month at work. A nightmare.

Let's hear your stories, to make me feel like I'm not alone.

:smile:
so, are you going to give us some details about why your month was so difficult?

ISV horror story

i've got many "can't believe this is happening to me" stories, but since this is a public forum, i'll provide one from the distant past so as not to expose too much:

i was working for an ISV (software company) and were in a dog-eat-dog competition with our arch rival for our market niche... >90% of our deals involved this particular rival. well, our primary product included an encryption engine and thus required a difficult to obtain govt permit for international export. our employee who was handling the paperwork/process was having a *very diffcult* time making progress and our lack of permit to export was causing us to lose deals.

so one day, he and i are in a meeting with the owner of the company and i was complaining about the lack of leads his dept was providing for my hungry sales team... and i was beginning to steam a bit. finally he says, "well, if you don't like that, then i bet you're really not going to like that i called XXX's (our arch rival) vp of marketing and left a message saying that we were having trouble with the process, did they have a permit and could he call me back".

the owner and i looked at each other, our eyes blinking - we were astonished. for about 30 seconds, it was so quiet you could have heard a gnat fart in that room.

so i said, "well, there's nothing more to talk about" and left the room for the two of them to talk.

a few minutes later, the guy left the owner's office (and the company) and we kept moving forward. eventually got the certificates, but our pipeline took a beating.

as i said, i've got many more, but discretion rules the day on this topic.

When I graduated Highschool I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted a new car, so I went out looking for jobs.
I went to the one place I knew there were jobs listed- the sunday paper. (This was 1994- I had never heard of the Monster) So I was looking at all the ad's for "Sales professionals"- they wanted guys with "experience" they wanted guys with education- They wanted guys with "reliable transportation" . They didn't want guys with a highschool diploma still living with Mom, who's only work experience was detailing a few cars, repairing bicycles, delivering pizza, and busing tables. I could see I was in a jam, but there was this one ad...

"Sports Marketing
Individuals wanted
H/S diploma req
Determine your own $$income$$
Make up to $500 per day!"

Hey! Thats me! I responded. Surprise, surprise, I got called in for an interview.

At the cattle call- err, I mean "interview" I was told of the money making potential in the Pittsburgh market, and how I could easily earn a terrific income if I was a "go getter".

since I appeared "hungry" they were willing to give me an opportunity today, pending an observation of my performance.

What luck! Not only did I get through the interview, but I could start TODAY!

And their "Sr. Field representative" was even going to buy me lunch.

With that, myself, and the 4 other individuals who were in the "group interview" with me were turned over to the big baller Sr. field representatives who would be showing us the ropes.

- Just as an aside, I was highly suspicious at this point.

I was not immediately impressed by my "Mentor for the day", he was a smallish man, probably in his mid 40's- talked very fast, wore black acid wash denim pants, a poorly pressed shirt, and a bola tie.
I was further astonished to discover that even with his mega income of up to $500 per day he was driving a two tone (rust and silver) 83 Honda Prelude with little exhaust left, and apparently no 5th gear.

I was skeptical- but I went along. We headed into the Burgh- 4 cylinder screaming for mercy at red line in 4th, and the rusted remains of the exhaust belching a tune not even a ricer could love...

Upon arrival in our designated "zone" My mentor introduced me to the "Inventory" We had two products to peddle for the day- oh by the way, that is what we were doing, we were "peddlers" as opposed to "sales representatives"

Product #1- a pen set
Product #2- A stuffed gorilla with velcro hands

My Mentor who I will call "Freaky Reaky" advised that the Gorillas were easier to carry if you clasped their hands, and hung them around your neck.
Off we went, me and "Freaky" cruising through a middle class suburb of Pittsburgh with stuffed animals hanging around our necks.

Please be aware, at this point I am just in this for lunch- I decided to go to college back on I-79 when we were sweating it out in in traffic in Freaky's Prelude which was also sans A/C

So who would we be "marketing" to today you ask? Why beauty salons of course! I spent all day assisting Freaky while he pitched his wares to the big haired populace of the South Hills.

At the end of the day I was offered the position- I politely declined.

I have NO idea where "Sports Marketing" fit this job description, but I will say-this was a total nightmare, but in the spirit of experience, I stuck out the day. I was rewarded with a 1/4 pounder value meal, and the experience to know- there are no short-cuts. Go to college.

I also get a great story that makes people howl at parties- trust me, it tells a lot better than it reads...

I wonder where Freaky Reaky is now...

H-carWizKid said:
When I graduated Highschool I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do. <snip> I could see I was in a jam, but there was this one ad...

"Sports Marketing
Individuals wanted
H/S diploma req

Hey! Thats me! I responded. Surprise, surprise, I got called in for an interview<snip>

yup, been there done that with those kinds of "opportunities"...and used to wonder who, beside the company itself, those gigs ever worked out for. nobody, of course.

as for freaky, i believe he's become a "senior adviser" in one of our country's leading political parties :rolleyes:

In 2000 I was the manager of a small import dealership with approx 50 cars. There were two owners, one was a buddy of mine and another guy knew nothing of about the automotive industry. They let me run the show and just like all of you guys would have done, I made a 91 NSX my demo.;)

One night at club I was introduced to this hot girl by a semi mutual friend. After several drinks we went back to my place and did what intoxicated people do that just met at a bar.:biggrin:

In the morning I woke up and realized she was gone. For a very brief moment I thought cool, I don’t have to play nice or drive her home. :smile: Well that feeling faded quickly when I noticed, you got it, and the NSX also was gone.:eek:

The 1st call was to report the theft to the authorities however, they wouldn’t do a thing. She had the keys. Then I had to call the owner of the dealership and break the bad news, the NSX was MIA. To make a long story short; we made contact with her friends who then contacted that crazy
B!!ch. She took the car to show off to her friends, smoked the clutch and left it by the side of the road. Oh yeah, come to find out she was under 21 and had a fake I.D.

Needless to say, that ordeal definitely made for a horrible work atmosphere. :rolleyes:

This is too funny. I can't believe you guys walking around with gorillas around your neck.... It is rolling on the floor funny....:biggrin: :biggrin: :tongue:

H-carWizKid said:
When I graduated Highschool I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted a new car, so I went out looking for jobs.
I went to the one place I knew there were jobs listed- the sunday paper. (This was 1994- I had never heard of the Monster) So I was looking at all the ad's for "Sales professionals"- they wanted guys with "experience" they wanted guys with education- They wanted guys with "reliable transportation" . They didn't want guys with a highschool diploma still living with Mom, who's only work experience was detailing a few cars, repairing bicycles, delivering pizza, and busing tables. I could see I was in a jam, but there was this one ad...

"Sports Marketing
Individuals wanted
H/S diploma req

Hey! Thats me! I responded. Surprise, surprise, I got called in for an interview.

At the cattle call- err, I mean "interview" I was told of the money making potential in the Pittsburgh market, and how I could easily earn a terrific income if I was a "go getter".

since I appeared "hungry" they were willing to give me an opportunity today, pending an observation of my performance.

What luck! Not only did I get through the interview, but I could start TODAY!

And their "Sr. Field representative" was even going to buy me lunch.

With that, myself, and the 4 other individuals who were in the "group interview" with me were turned over to the big baller Sr. field representatives who would be showing us the ropes.

- Just as an aside, I was highly suspicious at this point.

I was not immediately impressed by my "Mentor for the day", he was a smallish man, probably in his mid 40's- talked very fast, wore black acid wash denim pants, a poorly pressed shirt, and a bola tie.
I was further astonished to discover that even with his mega income of up to $500 per day he was driving a two tone (rust and silver) 83 Honda Prelude with little exhaust left, and apparently no 5th gear.

I was skeptical- but I went along. We headed into the Burgh- 4 cylinder screaming for mercy at red line in 4th, and the rusted remains of the exhaust belching a tune not even a ricer could love...

Upon arrival in our designated "zone" My mentor introduced me to the "Inventory" We had two products to peddle for the day- oh by the way, that is what we were doing, we were "peddlers" as opposed to "sales representatives"

Product #1- a pen set
Product #2- A stuffed gorilla with velcro hands

My Mentor who I will call "Freaky Reaky" advised that the Gorillas were easier to carry if you clasped their hands, and hung them around your neck.
Off we went, me and "Freaky" cruising through a middle class suburb of Pittsburgh with stuffed animals hanging around our necks.

Please be aware, at this point I am just in this for lunch- I decided to go to college back on I-79 when we were sweating it out in in traffic in Freaky's Prelude which was also sans A/C

So who would we be "marketing" to today you ask? Why beauty salons of course! I spent all day assisting Freaky while he pitched his wares to the big haired populace of the South Hills.

At the end of the day I was offered the position- I politely declined.

I have NO idea where "Sports Marketing" fit this job description, but I will say-this was a total nightmare, but in the spirit of experience, I stuck out the day. I was rewarded with a 1/4 pounder value meal, and the experience to know- there are no short-cuts. Go to college.

I also get a great story that makes people howl at parties- trust me, it tells a lot better than it reads...

Your "Sports Marketing" story had me rolling at work! I answered the exact same ad here locally years ago!

I went for the interview and sat in a room with 20 other people filling out an application. They call you back one by one and tell you how great you are and that you're exactly what they are looking for. Then you go to a different room where the same people are at. Apparently everyone that was there was exactly what they were looking for. I was also given the "privelage" of starting the same day. I went with my group leader or whatever his title was in his 10 year old Maxima to a neighborhood where the smallest house was maybe $2.5 million. The whole way there he kept throwing out numbers and how much money we could make. He told us about his plan to move up in the company and retire in 5 years.

We had to go door to door in 8 inches of snow selling discount pizza coupons for $10. Of course, nobody was home because they are all at real jobs getting rich, while I'm trying to save them $10 on pizza.:rolleyes: This was probably one of the most depressing/embarassing days of my life. But hey, I got a free lunch out of it. :smile: Needless to say, I didn't go back.

O.K. I just thought of another one that happened to me at my first job when I was 16. I was basically a janitor at a smallish family clothing store. I cleaned the bathrooms, changed the light bulbs, etc....

Warning: the below story is true and disgusting.

One night, I had to clean the men's restroom. I opened the stall door to the toilet only to find the largest turd I have ever seen. This thing was so large it could not be flushed. It just lay there sideways in the bowl. I had to chop it up into pieces with a wire hanger. I even threw up a few times during the chopping process. I couldn't even imagine someone passing this thing through their bowels without doing some serious damage. This was truly a work horror story in my mind.

While I was only 16 at the time, I guess in a way it prepared me for the sh!t I would experience later on in my professional career.

White92 said:
Your "Sports Marketing" story had me rolling at work! I answered the exact same ad here locally years ago!

I went for the interview and sat in a room with 20 other people filling out an application. They call you back one by one and tell you how great you are and that you're exactly what they are looking for. Then you go to a different room where the same people are at. Apparently everyone that was there was exactly what they were looking for. I was also given the "privelage" of starting the same day. I went with my group leader or whatever his title was in his 10 year old Maxima to a neighborhood where the smallest house was maybe $2.5 million. The whole way there he kept throwing out numbers and how much money we could make. He told us about his plan to move up in the company and retire in 5 years.

We had to go door to door in 8 inches of snow selling discount pizza coupons for $10. Of course, nobody was home because they are all at real jobs getting rich, while I'm trying to save them $10 on pizza.:rolleyes: This was probably one of the most depressing/embarassing days of my life. But hey, I got a free lunch out of it. :smile: Needless to say, I didn't go back.
Probably you could have made more money offering to shovel off the 8 inches of snow on the driveway and sidewalks.

White92 said:

I am never surprised to hear other folks tell me they had similar experiences- Everyone has a different story, but there always seem to be similar elements. As Hal pointed out above, it appears no matter what wares you are peddeling for the day, the only party that capitolizes id the "marketing" firm.

Something else that is funny White92- we appear to have the same current job description!

From "Sports Marketing" to Insurance Adjuster

Tell me, were you once with ERAC too?

Philip

Last edited:
Re: You Didn't Explain......

Yellow Rose said:
.....that the regulator broke off. :rolleyes: Your post made it sound like the burner was on and the can was simply knocked over. Sorry, I win. :tongue:

No prob.

THERE ARE SOOO........... MANY MORE FREAK ACCIDENTS ON THE JOB.

We had a buddy we called "liquid plumber" because of his enormous amount of alchohol he consumed EVERY DAY.There was the time he FELL THRU THE CEILING !!.......This was soo F$^&^in' funny but I'd have to tell it live to appreciate the comedy of errors that surrounded the event.

I am amazed Mike (Bridgewater Acura) hasn't laid a Dealership story on us yet. I know when I was in the car biz the "dead hours" were always full of practical jokes, and the classic "sales tales" and other hijinx.

I was telling a friend the other night how much fun we used to have.

I would be glad to recount the story of how...

1. A customer once tried to blackmail me with my CSI survey
2. Mechanics ripped the door off a lady's brand new VW New Beetle 1 hour prior to delivery
3. Finance manager got so drunk at lunch she belched up vomit on a contract as she was trying to do a delivery.
4. I got fired twice, and rehired twice (on my day off) due to mistakes made by the above mentioned finance manager.
5. I sold 2 S2000's over the phone like pizzas, when one of the owners showed up for delivery I had to teach him how to drive a stick so he could take his car back to New Jersey... (we were the only dealer in 3 states selling the StooK @ sticker)
6. I settled an argument with my sales manager by letting my employment ride on making a sale, then closed 3 deals that day, grossing nearly $2200 in commisions, and manufacturers spiff cash- We never argued again, in fact when that manager left the VW/Hyundai dealership we worked for to go to Honda, he brought me with him.

I had such a colorful career in the car business, but alas I left it due to the very reason Mike listed- too many hours. My Ex-wife didn't give a damn about the money, she just wanted me home when she was there.
I thought about going back into it now that I am a batchlor again, but damn it would be hard to recreate the circumstances that made me successful before- and I have gotten adapted to my 38 hour work week...

Philip

Re: You Didn't Explain......

MYNSX said:
No prob.

THERE ARE SOOO........... MANY MORE FREAK ACCIDENTS ON THE JOB.

We had a buddy we called "liquid plumber" because of his enormous amount of alchohol he consumed EVERY DAY.There was the time he FELL THRU THE CEILING !!.......This was soo F$^&^in' funny but I'd have to tell it live to appreciate the comedy of errors that surrounded the event.

While building a new house my wife came to visit me. The first floor was sheetrocked and finished. My brother-in-law and myself were working on the second floor doing some plumbing before we closed in the floor completely. My wife just started walking towards us right on the sheetrock. Just before she disappeared completely my brother-in-law hooked her shirt with his finger. This would not be that big of a deal except my brother-in-law only has his index finger on the hand he grabbed her with, due to a lawn mower accident when he was 5 y/o. That is one strong finger!

Back