• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Let's talk electric car

Actually, four are being built right now. Two southeast utilities are the largest construction projects in the US right now. Our utility has already spent $500million clearing land and doing base work on two new reactors (out of a ~$12billion program). They should go online in the next 6 years or so and produce another ~2300MWe total.

In the nuclear industry, the past few years have been our renaissance :cool:

As a nuclear engineer, I'm aware of the benefits and dangers. I'm certainly not an oblivious fanboy. There is no perfect energy technology yet (especially when you factor in cost). But, it does play an important role in our energy dependency.

Dave

I was completely unaware of this, although I am aware of some passed funding coming from the current administration. What fuel base will the reactors be using? (232-Thorium?) I ask because there have been some MAJOR revelations in regards to the production and byproduct of nuclear energy and the byproducts can be safer than coal-burn waste with much greater yield.

To be fair, I pay more attention to the production of nuclear isotopes used in medical imaging than power production, so my involvement may be less than yours.

I was completely unaware of this, although I am aware of some passed funding coming from the current administration. What fuel base will the reactors be using? I ask because there have been some MAJOR revelations in regards to the production and byproduct of nuclear energy and the byproducts can be safer than coal-burn waste with much greater yield.

To be fair, I pay more attention to the production of nuclear isotopes used in medical imaging than power production, so my involvement may be less than yours.

I think the isotope business is a better one to be in! Everyone needs electricity, but the isotopes are in even greater demand (with even less supply).

Not to turn this into a political thread, but Bush started the nuclear credits, while Obama has effectively killed the nuclear industry (even though he advocates he's for it) with the cancellation of Yucca Mountain. For the record, I don't like Bush or Obama, or really any politician.

Anyways, even though our utility meets the requirements for the credits, we haven't been gauranteed them yet. It shouldn't matter for us as we weren't even counting on them anyways (we began raising rates to finance this project awhile ago).

I know the first few reactors to be built in the US are the Westinghouse AP1000 design - a Gen III design never constructed in the US before. Nothing revolutionary on the fuel, it's still 5wt% U-235 fuel, but the primary safety systems are passive and they make use of a more simplified layout.

Construction began on the same reactors over two years ago in China:
http://ap1000.westinghousenuclear.com/ap1000_nui_ic.html

Dave

As a new father with a currently "useless" daughter, this made my week. Seriously, best quote ever. :biggrin:

I only wish I could claim to be so original.:redface:

On the 21st of November 1783, in Paris, Benjamin Franklin was among the hundreds of people who gathered in the gardens of the Rue de Montreuil to attend a wonderful spectacle: the first manned flight in history, using a hot air balloon.

Of course, people who watched the sight were amazed beyond description; however, as often happens with great discoveries, some skeptics loudly expressed their contempt for the invention. One of them clutched Franklin’s arm and asked him scornfully: “Sir, frankly, what’s the use of flying in the air?"

To which Franklin replied, “Sir, what’s the use of a newborn babe?"

P.S., Hard Five, the baby looks really sweet. Congratulations!

Last edited:
So sorry for my derail Guys - back to the matter at hand.

At one point I saw a thread on here touting the latest in solar power, somewhere around 90% efficiency. Since then I haven't seen anything regarding the development. Does anyone know if that was vaporware? It was supposed to be cheap to manufacture as well....

the newest car&driver has a full review on volt, including a great spread on the planetary gear differences which make volt much more efficient than plu-in prius.

I picked up a Leaf a couple months ago, damn cool car. After driving it for a while you do start to wonder how awesome a proper EV sports car would be. And sportsbike.

I think Tesla is supposed to revisit the Roadster after the Model S comes out, it will be interesting to see what they come up with. The current Tesla Roadster is a little too small for me personally, I prefer something NSX sized.

I'm in San Diego (PB area). If any of you guys want to take the Leaf for spin drop me a line.

Well if anyone wants to invest in my new Electric engine let me know.

we would be rich overnight.

I am dead serious.

Well if anyone wants to invest in my new Electric engine let me know.

we would be rich overnight.

I am dead serious.

Tell us more! But remember a high performance electric car will have a ("pancake") motor in each of its four wheels -- will your motor design offer this?

(P.S. It's electric "motor" and gas "engine.")

Last edited:
Personally I hate the idea of electric cars. I would much rather see bio-fuels come into more widespread use (not e85... No petroleum based products.). We already have the infrastructure for them, a huge percentage of cars (mostly diesels) can already run them (so no need to spend 40k on a pos volt) and we don't have to worry about te damage from mining, creating and disposing of these batteries in 10 years when they die! Moving to electric just creates another dependence on materials with limited resources. Not sure where electric cars really make sense...

Nor can I create my Audi v10 tdi swapped rx7 without biofuels / diesel haha. Electric cars just don't do anything for me. Sorry.

Bump.......because it has happened...

A lot of familiar names in this thread.

I now drive a Chevrolet Volt, in 2010 I never would have thought about an EV. Now my replacement when my Volt gets old will likely be an all electric. I do believe a 100+ mile range EV is great for most people in the normal situation, taking an EV out of town for the weekend becomes a lesson in logistics. Even here in Southern California, there are places without charging stations and an EV would be on the side of the road.

But the times they are a changing.

The ultimate perk of an EV is having a full tank of electrons every morning. Unless they install chargers ( which Germany has mandated ) gas stations will slowly disappear and I, for one, surely won't miss them. Before Covid 19 we traveled extensively in our Model S and, aside from enjoying the lack of NVH which makes highway driving much more pleasant, found stopping an additional few minutes to supercharge also made the trip more pleasant than gassing up like a NASCAR pit stop and hitting the road immediately. Aside from the NSX I'm through with gasoline.

Last edited:
Bump.......because it has happened...

Which electric car did you buy?

Only thing keeping me from electric is speed of charging. On a road trip, if I can charge as quickly as in a gas car, that’d be ideal. Of course, all my routine driving can be easily covered otherwise by a Model 3, which would be my electric car of choice.

not happening for me.....but for a lot of other folks....I enjoy revisiting old dead threads that predicted the future.

not happening for me.....but for a lot of other folks....I enjoy revisiting old dead threads that predicted the future.
I'm with you Doc. Something about the silence is just wrong. While I don't enjoy putting premium fuel in all 4 of my cars, I do like the convenience of gas and go. On the road, I can get decent mileage out of each of the cars, depending on how hard I press the far right pedal. If all my driving was extremely local, I could see getting something electric, but if I go down to VA. every two weeks, like I'm doing, I'd have range anxiety, and that certainly is being addressed by todays EV's, and yes the performance is there, in many of them..................but..........not yet ready for it.

I'm with you Doc. Something about the silence is just wrong. While I don't enjoy putting premium fuel in all 4 of my cars, I do like the convenience of gas and go. On the road, I can get decent mileage out of each of the cars, depending on how hard I press the far right pedal. If all my driving was extremely local, I could see getting something electric, but if I go down to VA. every two weeks, like I'm doing, I'd have range anxiety, and that certainly is being addressed by todays EV's, and yes the performance is there, in many of them..................but..........not yet ready for it.

This is the problem, or shortcoming, of the current state of EVs. My father in law used to live in Big Bear, CA, about 150 miles from San Diego. With a Model 3 or a Bolt (~250 mile range) could drive up for a weekend ski or fishing trip; but the last time I was up there there still were no Level 2 chargers. I could charge an EV from a house outlet at the rate of around 5 miles / hour. I’m ok with charging my Volt at Level 1 over night, but that doesn’t work for a full EV, unless I’m driving a fairly short amount every day.

But even my Volt has that electric drive torque at a stop light! And it is smooth as butter.

Back