• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Longest member without an NSX - finally gets one!

Thanks Mike!!! Looks like a local person!

People suggested Evasive or Ramon to use for any work. Anybody you guys recommend?

I have 7 days to wait to pick up car.. agony of wait!

Sounds like you have already connected with Ramon, so that's great! Others would also recommend HQ Engineering in San Gabriel and Genesis Automotive in Pasadena.

Sounds like you have already connected with Ramon, so that's great! Others would also recommend HQ Engineering in San Gabriel and Genesis Automotive in Pasadena.
Thank you. Those are much closer to me and will have to use them going forward.

We have the scheduled the delivery for tomorrow. I just got home late last night.

The owner (who has been fabulous) has been gathering all his NSX memorabilia and I can't wait to see them. True gentleman and enthusiast!

I will then drive it to Ramon, and leave it there for the T Belt service. On the phone he mentioned, even though it will look new when he takes it off, he will do it, as he thinks it is recommended due to the age.

Then will bring it home, when he is done.

It should be a nice 30 mile first drive. I may have to take the long way to Ramons.

Thank you. Those are much closer to me and will have to use them going forward.

We have the scheduled the delivery for tomorrow. I just got home late last night.

The owner (who has been fabulous) has been gathering all his NSX memorabilia and I can't wait to see them. True gentleman and enthusiast!

I will then drive it to Ramon, and leave it there for the T Belt service. On the phone he mentioned, even though it will look new when he takes it off, he will do it, as he thinks it is recommended due to the age.

Then will bring it home, when he is done.

It should be a nice 30 mile first drive. I may have to take the long way to Ramons.
I'm so happy to see you finally got one! And a NA2 to boot! As you know, I'm a big proponent of maintenance. Even though it will "look" new, you can't see the condition of the internal nylon cords in the belt. Plus, the danger to the NSX isn't really a belt snapping, it's a belt slipping teeth due to wear and/or loose tension. Best to avoid that.

I'm so happy to see you finally got one! And a NA2 to boot! As you know, I'm a big proponent of maintenance. Even though it will "look" new, you can't see the condition of the internal nylon cords in the belt. Plus, the danger to the NSX isn't really a belt snapping, it's a belt slipping teeth due to wear and/or loose tension. Best to avoid that.
Thank you VERY much! I really appreciate it.

Agree, on the maintenance. I will check if it needs fluids or anything else. It has had 500 miles in last 4 years, although it has been serviced yearly.

Anything else you recommend? I read about the 22 coolant hoses, which I will have him check

Tires are all 2020.

Last edited:
Thank you VERY much! I really appreciate it.

Agree, on the maintenance. I will check if it needs fluids or anything else. It has had 500 miles in last 4 years, although it has been serviced yearly.

Anything else you recommend? I read about the 22 coolant hoses, which I will have him check

Tires are all 2020.
Most critical are the hoses. We just had a NSX Youtoober who blew up his car on an old hose. If Ramon has the engine out, I'd definitely do the hoses.

Next is the TB/WP, but it's not as immediately dangerous to the car as the hoses. I'd also have all the rubber seals and gaskets replaced on the engine too while it's apart. I'd also replace the crank pulley if it hasn't been done.

That's the main stuff. Less critical but likely due are things like:

Rebuild brake calipers
Clutch master/slave cylinders
Brake lines
Window regulators
Suspension bushings
Motor mounts
Shock absorbers
HVAC unit

Basically any rubber on the car should be inspected and addressed.

Most critical are the hoses. We just had a NSX Youtoober who blew up his car on an old hose. If Ramon has the engine out, I'd definitely do the hoses.

Next is the TB/WP, but it's not as immediately dangerous to the car as the hoses. I'd also have all the rubber seals and gaskets replaced on the engine too while it's apart. I'd also replace the crank pulley if it hasn't been done.

That's the main stuff. Less critical but likely due are things like:

Rebuild brake calipers
Clutch master/slave cylinders
Brake lines
Window regulators
Suspension bushings
Motor mounts
Shock absorbers
HVAC unit

Basically any rubber on the car should be inspected and addressed.
Thank you.

When you say the hoses, you mean the coolant hoses (newbie, just clarifying)?

Do most people have the engine out to do the belt service?

He has serviced the car last 4 years, so I will ask him to give everything a inspection and replace as necessary, as you suggested.

Thank you.

When you say the hoses, you mean the coolant hoses (newbie, just clarifying)?

Do most people have the engine out to do the belt service?

He has serviced the car last 4 years, so I will ask him to give everything a inspection and replace as necessary, as you suggested.
Yes, sorry- the 22 coolant hoses.

Most of the top guys worldwide pull the engine. I always do it. Stuff like the valve adjustment and belt tension setting are pretty tough to get right with the engine still in the car.

Yes, sorry- the 22 coolant hoses.

Most of the top guys worldwide pull the engine. I always do it. Stuff like the valve adjustment and belt tension setting are pretty tough to get right with the engine still in the car.

Got it. Given how he has been around so long, I imagine he does. I will ask him when I see him tomorrow.

Appreciate the newbie question response.

I added you on Instagram.

Congratulations on the acquisition!

Not sure if the NSX tech experts would agree, but as a preventative measure when I got my ‘99 NSX in Dec 2022 (not too long ago), I also replaced the clutch and brake interlock switch pad buttons, the main relay (and some other relays from a package purchased from Mita), and ignition/steering switch. Those items I read on Prime can be failure points that are inexpensive to address.

I personally experienced having the clutch slave cylinder go bad on me on a previous 2000 NSX, which left me stuck in a parking lot once!

One of my friends with a ‘98 NSX had his ABS go bad years ago, requiring a replacement to the updated 2000+ ABS, he says, to the tune of $4K!

Oh trust me, he has it now. CONGRATS! Go drive it! And then get some maintenance... :D

LONG POST WARNING:

Well today was the day of delivery. I could hardly sleep last night. I have already watched every single NSX video and re – read all the reviews over and over again. I needed to see the NSX again. Was hard to concentrate on X mas, and New Years, with delivery day pending.

I chat with the owner via text, and we schedule a lunch pickup, hoping not much traffic. Of course, being Los Angeles, traffic, I am 38 minutes late. I pull into his driveway, he is sitting down, where the NSX is usually parked. The NSX is sitting in the driveway. He ushers me to back my Land Cruiser in the driveway, which I do.

I get up, shake his hand. I can see he is a bit emotional. I tell him, today I finally feel like an NSX owner. He starts showing me all the things he has. Original window sticker, all 4 keys, repair manuals, the A badges he changed to H on the car, trickle charger, magazines, battery tender, Motorola radios, cassettes, NSXPO passes over the years, photos, car cover. He did tell me on the phone, to bring a bigger car to take all the stuff, and I did. Purchase paper when he bought it. I am overcome with emotion, but I can tell he is as well. But as car guys, we put that aside, and focus on the inventory of things.

Once and loaded into my car, he tells me a few things:

1) hands me a Honda watch, and said “I put in new batteries for you so it works.” WOW, I instantly put it on. I tell him that the jacket and shirts he gave me, my wife told me to frame it in the garage, and I haven’t worn them yet. He chuckles.
2) He shows me all 3 keys, and keeps on one his hand, “at the end I will give you the final key.”
3) "As I told you the car has not seen rain except that day in 2004, thus I bought a new set of wipers for you."

We chat for a bit about the car. I tell him how thankful I am how he has taken care of the car, and what an amazing steward, enthusiast, he has been. We go over how he bought the car. Interestingly enough he wasn’t interested in the NSX before 1998 at all. He essentially bought it on a whim when he saw it across his office at an Acura dealer. I loved hearing his story. He said he couldn’t believe that he paid that for the car. I know the feeling, I told him!

Graciously, I was going to get a cup of coffee, but his wife makes one for me, in a NSX friendly go cup. Very generous. We exchange info, and she invites my family to dinner when I am back in the area.

I already know I will remain friends with the owner, but the kindness he showed me, truly there are good people left in this world still.

We take some photos where he finally hands me the keys to the car. It has the silver NSX key ring. I have never taken a photo with a car before. It just isn’t my thing. His wife wanted to take the photos, and my wife wanted me to also take the photos. It was actually quite fun having the photos.

Attachments

• sticker 2.jpeg
    sticker 2.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2883.jpeg
    IMG_2883.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2882.jpeg
    IMG_2882.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2889.jpeg
    IMG_2889.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2888.jpeg
    IMG_2888.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2885.jpeg
    IMG_2885.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2884.jpeg
    IMG_2884.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2932.jpeg
    IMG_2932.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2943.jpeg
    IMG_2943.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2944.jpeg
    IMG_2944.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 18
We spent a good 2 hours chatting about the car, my excitement, and his reluctance on selling. I can tell how attached he was. I was already attached, I can’t tell how much more attached he was over the years.

I told him he can not only drive it anytime, he can visit anytime, and I will stop by to say hi from time to time. I will take the car to NSXPO and keep up his legacy of him taking the cars there, and creating the memories he has. It still hadn’t hit me that the car was mine.

It was finally mine. I had earned it, worked for it... hasn't hit me yet.. it was my NSX... it is my NSX..

I get in the car, start it for the first time. I put on the watch he gave me, and set on my way. The clutch is so gentle, the controls feel like any 90s Honda would, easy. The seats are comfortable.

I pull out of his driveway … He waves good bye… it was difficult..I see it.. I could feel it. What a gentleman and a true automobile enthusiast, who loved the NSX, took care of it, enjoyed it, made memories with it. Truly an inspiration… hope I can live up to what he started…

IMG_2932.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2928.jpeg
    IMG_2928.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2895.JPG
    IMG_2895.JPG
    328.5 KB · Views: 24
I pull out to the street, driving around the neighborhood, essentially on my way to nowhere. I turn the AC on, very cold. I preferred a non power steering wheel car, but it didn’t bother me.

The shifts are so tight, excellent. Reminds me of my S2000. However, there is no slop on the handle, unlike my Elise or MR2, this one is so tight. The clutch is so light, typical Honda. It isn't hard work to drive around. The turn signals definitely feel different. The angled screen on the AC is a bit hard to see. Silly things. I just keep telling myself what a car.

I keep comparing in my head. The visibility is as good as the Elise. However, the car isn’t as light. It is almost a 1000 lbs more than the Elise, and about 250lbs more than the MR2. Comparisons doesn’t matter, this is my hero car. I get on the freeway onramp. 80mph, cruise on, AC nice and cold.

It rained all morning. Rains 8 days a year here, and today it rained. No rain for about 4 hours, while I picked up and drove the car. Reminded me of an old Acura Legend. A honda that has some torque! What would the fanbois say. Lots of looks, even in a silver car. I am driving around, enjoying. The seats are comfortable, not punishing. Between my Elise and my lexus LS.

I love the front view, as good as the Elise. I am still absorbing. Fantastic quality, unlike the Elise. Lot quieter inside, more comfortable.

For lack of a better term, almost a grown up larger MR2. I keep buying and selling many cars over the years, and I keep telling myself I have a type:

NSX, MR2 – Turbo, Elise. Sometimes cars just speak to you. I have finally found my nirvana

After 2 hours of enjoying, it hits me, I need to take some photos for the forum people! No one will believe me. Hah. I pull over and take some photos for you. The car is too easy to drive. 6th to 5th downshift and past 80 without effort. Few pulls half to redline to hear the intake noise in the car. What a machine.. no wind noise… no dartiness… just solid.. analog… yet relevant in today’s world.

Loving the climate control vents in the door and the way the window buttons are curved

Some photos

Attachments

• IMG_2930.jpeg
    IMG_2930.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2901.jpeg
    IMG_2901.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2902.jpeg
    IMG_2902.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 20
Well the fun was over. Time to head over to one of the last remaining original NSX mechanics trained by Honda. I head over there, he tells me how he is now on his 14th NSX. We talk for 2 hours. He knows the car very well. Tells me he can’t believe the owner sold it. Tells me, enjoy as is, don’t modify, maintain and a good detail. He has one other gentleman that comes to his shop over 90 years old, with the last 05 Blue car. Respect!

He shows me the Zanardi NSX that comes to the shop, the rare as hens teeth (mid 6 figure $) NSX Type R (one in the shop as we speak on the lift). Usually 3-4 NSX in there all the time. I have heard of him for 20 years, I know all about him, but the first time I meet him. He is a 1 man show. I ask him how long will it take, for the T belt/water pump/ fluid service? “Ryan, I will call you – he says.” He writes down on a piece of paper my phone number and the service needed.

He tells me he doesn’t take new customers. Sends them to other shop. However, this is “Frank’s NSX, and I will keep working on it.”

He is right. This is Frank’s NSX. It will forever be, and I am proud to continue the life of the NSX, and be a steward for Frank’s NSX as long as the car gods allow.

Thank you Frank. Thank you for making this dream come true for me. I appreciate you. You are an inspiration to a generation like me. Thank you for keeping the candle alive for us. Here is to a friendship for many years to come….

The NSX is now tucked into a lift. Where Ramon says, no coolant lines needed. Looked it all over. He doesn’t do engine out service. Says no need. I trust him….

Looking forward to the NSX coming home and then I start enjoying it for real..

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpeg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 23
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 24
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpeg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 24
Back