• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking at 91 NSX Black 5-sp with 55k

whats the difference between a NSX CERTIFIED MECH and a general one?LOL

An example 1: I take my car to my local get'r done mechs opened the engine bay to let them look at the engine, as my A/C wasnt blowing cold and I thought it might be the compressor the guy pressed the coolant bleed valve and said "yeah there is some pressure in the System it def has some freon in it."
I didnt say anything.

example 2:took my car to a honda dealership to get a belt for my old Accord, the Mechanic on duty said "those corvette's sure burn thru rear tires huh"

I laughed thinking he was joking he went on about how his fav was the 75 vette, I said this is a honda/Acura NSX

he was surprised said my bad the pop-up lights had me going there for a minute, then started to tell me that they dont hand make 4CyL engine like that anymore.
I had to.... say its a V6 Vtec C30 engine he was agian surprised
I said well gotta go.

Example 3: wanted to get some scratches out of the side of my car went to very well know bodyshop called Gene Perez Autobody in tampa
the smart ass body guy said "what do those corvette go for these days?"
I said it an Acura All aluminum.
he tells me cars made out of Aluminum frame will buckle way before a car made of steel from Detroits frame will.

I didnt even say bye I got in my car and drove away.

example 4:went to another shop that I know that sells junkers was looking for a cheapo car for a friends son's first car. when i pulled up the Mechanics all ran out and 2 of the 3 had never even seen one in person.
they loved it. told me all about their civics that was a long chat ugggh

others can chime in WHY never let someone work on your NSX that has never done so before

Im not saying all mechanics are dumb asses but there are a few at EACH shop that should be carpenters or lumberjacks

Last edited:
Yea, 20k for that is WAY underpriced - suspiciously so. A really good 91 with 55k (I have 55k on mine) would be in the 29k - 32k range for sure. Good luck, don't let the timing belt needing replacement or even a salvage title scare you if the car is good. 20k is 1/3'rd underpriced.

A great general mechanic will check stuff that he knows. A NSX skilled mechanic will know specifically what to look for. Trans Snap ring is biggest exposure--but you can't necessarly tell by looking. If it is the trans serial range---just realize that failure could occur anytime and just because it might not have happend yet doesen't mean it wouldn't fail a year from now--mine did at 116k miles--one month after getting a new clutch installed!! The doors have several issues---window lifts, inner door release. The radio is notorious for speaker amplifiers failing and the heater/AC control is also a weak link. The car has lots of aluminum and rubber in it's suspension, all of which is expensive upon failure. Weatherstripping can be expensive---so---the overall look, feel and performance of the car is what makes it's value. Find a local PRIME member who knows the cars really well and he/she will be the best help in making an intellegent buying decision. The other key factor is availability of a good NSX mechanic within a reasonable distance from you---this can become a real PITA if you need to travel hours for skilled service. Ask me how I know that!

I don't mean to get off topic, but what type of things/problems would a NSX certified mechanic might find that a good general automotive mechanic may not see?

That list is pretty long:).. the fact is a tech that works on a specific car, becomes proficient and understands a lot more about issues, and the many things that typically go wrong. Snap-ring is an example, CC units, clutch hydraulic system, age of hoses......

The bottom line is this: A tech that "knows" the car will provide a much better PPI.

That's my story and I am sticking to it:D

Happy New Year!

Regards,
LarryB

That list is pretty long:).. the fact is a tech that works on a specific car, becomes proficient and understands a lot more about issues, and the many things that typically go wrong. Snap-ring is an example, CC units, clutch hydraulic system, age of hoses......

The bottom line is this: A tech that "knows" the car will provide a much better PPI.

That's my story and I am sticking to it:D

Happy New Year!

Regards,
LarryB
Get back in your garage and finish my car already, stick to it, oh and Happy Holidays!!!!

I'm going to chime in and say that a good independent NSX mechanic is as good or better than an Acura dealer "certified" NSX mechanic. Don't assume that the Acura dealer can do a good PPI or has a NSX tech just because they are an Acura Dealer. The last NSX is now 6 years out of production and who knows if the dealer's NSX "tech" has stuck around.

My car goes to Justin at Source One Auto and won't EVER go to either Acura dealers in town. Besides Brian being great to work with, Justin has 10x the experience on NSXs as both local dealers combined. Here in the Midwest, we're lucky to have Source One. Plus Brian at Source One takes every NSX customer to Mortons for lunch and pays when they bring their car in for work and it's always washed and detailed with a new coat of Zaino when you get it back. (just checking to see if you're reading this Brian. ;) ).

Last edited:
Back