• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for advice on buying a 1st gen NSX (PPI, mileage, etc)

nsx789

Hi,

After 20+ years of wanting one, I've finally reached the point where I'm a serious buyer for an NSX right now. I've decided that I'll only take a targa top and a 5 speed or 6 speed.

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on mileage? From what I'm reading, it sounds like I could get a good deal on one with say 150,000 miles and the car may be 100% fine. Is anyone here able to confirm this, that the high mileage ones can be fine? Or are there pitfalls that I'm not thinking of?

I was also wondering about the pre purchase inspection. Should I get engine compression checked, is the local Acura dealer the preferred place to go?

Why only a targa top? The early cars are lighter.

I would absolutely get a compression test with a leak down. Most Dealers know how to do this.

High miles are okay if you have documented maintenance history.
Otherwise, I would pass on a high mileage car.
Lots of garage queens out there with deferred maintenance.

Good Luck!

Hi, Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep in mind to look for a documented maintenance history and get a compression test with a leak down before buying.

With the targa, I'm planning on keeping the car forever, so I figured the targa would be the preference on a "forever" car for me. Although I know it does come with some extra weight. I'll probably daily drive it to work in the summer with the top off:)

My '96 has 160k including 111 track days and over 12,000 track miles. Keep it maintained and drive it like you stole it.....

That's part of why I'm thinking of getting a high mileage one. You can drive it as much as you want and not worry about putting miles on it.

First of all, welcome to the community. Seems this question is asked with some regularity so please use the search function as it can be quite helpful. Not a big fan of the dealerships as they have fewer and fewer people who are smart on these cars. Hopefully you're near an independent shop that specializes in NSXs. I can tell you that if it weren't for HNA (in San Antonio), I almost certainly would no longer have my car. From your profile, I cannot tell what part of the county you're from but would recommend you going to your applicable regional forum and asking your local community for shop recommendations as a first step.

Last edited:
As a relative newcomer to the site, make sure you're aware of the NSX Wiki on this site. It can be found on the red action bar at the top of most pages. It has a wealth of information on wide ranging topics and there is a specific category on "Purchasing an NSX" which has checklists which may be of value.

As an owner of a '91 that is very close to 200k miles, I believe I can address some of your questions. I bought mine in 2001 with 90k and have put on the add'l 110k as a daily driver since then. I'm a big supporter of the thinking that regular use ("exercising") is a very positive thing .. things become maintenance items not only when not serviced according to schedule but also from sitting there not being used. As someone already said, a well documented maintenance history is very important for a high mileage car in answering questions about proper maintenance.

The biggest item that people over look is the the major service interval at 7yrs/90k miles (timing belt, water pump, etc). It is expensive so people often don't do it because they haven't hit the 90k mileage mark .. but it's the lesser of years or mileage. So, if a car hasn't had a major service in the last 7-9 years regardless of mileage .. that's a red flag. Anything over 90k should have already have had the major service and probably the clutch by then. You'll quite often see prices drop after the 80-90k mark because people try to sell so they don't have that expense. Anything that hasn't honored that schedule is a ticking bomb since a timing belt failure results in very expensive damage .. although I believe that Acura did later extend the original 7 yr recommendation to 9 yrs.

Besides the major service interval, most stuff is just routine wear on things .. like clutches, tires, shocks, brake pads, etc. Weak items are the A/C evaporator (expensive); sound system (not too costly to get rebuilt); window motors (an inexpensive diy fix is available); seat wear (replacement covers are available); the ABS on early models .. the checklists notes most of these things. Parts are going to be more expensive than other Acura/Honda products so take that into account. But generally these cars are very robust and many people regularly track them. I have stressed mine in other ways that is rare .. it has survived over 25k miles of daily Canadian winter driving (snow, ice, salt, etc) at temps down to -40F so I can confidently state that it's very robust and reliable. However, you should be honest with your own situation .. if you're buying a high mileage one just to squeeze into the buying experience without keeping a reserve for unexpected repairs, that's probably not a wise strategy as you might end up with a rebuild or some other surprise despite your due diligence. There's a page on the site somewhere with a map of the US and the names of good independent shops .. check to see if there are any near you.

Good luck! It's an amazing vehicle.

Very good advice, Ian.
BTW, the NSX shop map is at the top of the page, under "NSX Shop Map" in red. haha

AJ

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed that map.
I've been on the sidelines too long :)

Ok, thanks. I'll take a look at the Wiki. Yeah if I got a high mileage one, I would be thinking that a re-build may need to happen at some point and be prepared for that. I think my plan if the motor had issues would be to rebuild with a 3.5L stroker kit, and then I would have a re-built motor with more power. Either way I'd be planning on keeping the car long term so either the motor would be fine, or I'd pay to have it re-built and hopefully it would be ok for some time after that.

Thanks for the note about the major service interval, I'll definitely look at when that was last done in the maintenance history.

Physical condition and maintenance records will tell the tale! 150,000 miles with maintenance records and visual evidence that the car has been cared for - you are probably good to go.

Just a comment on the T versus coupe issue. I have a T. I used to take the roof off fairly regularly when I first got the car; however, that novelty has kind of worn off. Even though the body was reinforced, the T does flex. I suspect that the T is probably more subject to wind noise than the coupe because of the additional gasket surfaces along the roof insert. The door gaskets on the coupe are moderately expensive. The door front edge / roof gasket on the T is all one piece and is way beyond moderately expensive if you have to replace it. The best time for roof off driving is the spring and fall. If you have the really common black leather interior, it gets really hot really quick with the roof off on a sunny day in the summer. If you want a T, search hard for a tan interior if you plan to drive with the roof off.

The determining factors for my NSX selection were the later ABS system, 3.2 engine with 6 speed and EPS (yes I like the EPS). Coupes with those features are exceedingly rare so that pretty much narrowed it to a T. I don't dislike the T; but, having experienced it I would not list it as a must have feature.

In terms of your comments about planning to rebuild the motor. A full rebuilding on a C30 or C32 by a qualified tech is just mind bendingly expensive. Doing the 3.5 l thing even more so. Unless you believe that you absolutely have to have a performance increase, it would probably be better value to take that $15 - 20 k for the planned rebuild and apply it to the upfront price for the car to get a better condition / lower mileage / newer / whatever vehicle.

Last edited:
Hi Old Guy,

Thanks for feedback. I suspected that with a T it would be fun at first but then after a while it might not feel like the effort most of the time. I still think it would be fun to have there if you want it.

I'm thinking my cap on budget is around $45k USD. If I got a high mileage one, I'm thinking I would not be willing to spend $45k on a high mileage one, this would leave built in cash in case of issues. A high mileage one I'm thinking $30-35k, worse case scenario it has motor issues down the road and I'll take it to Science of Speed for the $15-20K re-build. Or like you said, apply it to the upfront price for the car to get a better condition / lower mileage / newer / whatever vehicle.

My preference would be an NA2, I think the big question is can $45k get an NA2 now a days? I guess I'll be finding out...

Last edited:
T top depends a lot on where you live and when you drive it. I take my top off all the time and wouldn't ever want a full coupe. I use my car for weekends and vacations though and live in a fairly sunny area.

$45k should get a high mileage NA2 if you look around closely and act quickly on a sale. Might creep closer to $50k, but that will be between you and the seller.

Thanks blue_myriddn. I think my final plan is to plan on waiting for as long as a year to find a 97-01 NA2 NSX-T for around 45k and be ready to get on a plane at a moments notice.

Did you see this market analysis? The analysis is slightly skewed because it is based upon asking price versus clearing price (which is frequently unknown).

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/199875-Gen1-NSX-Current-Market-Analysis

If you look at the price versus year analysis, the very bottom of the price range on 1997 and 1998 models is in the $50k range, so it may be difficult to find your 97-01 NA2 for $45 k. However, not impossible, particularly if you heed his comments about the price variation between dealer, auction and private sales. His price data goes back to 2014 so there may be some lag in the values. I think it is fair to say that the current price trajectory may conspire against your plan. That said, the market 'price' analysis can useful in helping to inform what you should be able to get for the price you want to pay.

Good hunting!

Back