• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for an AEM EMS tutorial

Hi, Primers

I have a 2001 SoS supercharged NSX. I recently switched from the AEM FIC box to the AEM EMS stand alone system. The car has been dyno tuned and is running very nicely. Being a curious fellow, I would like to be able to attach my laptop to the AEM EMS and see what my engine is doing during real world driving. Only thing is I don't how to do this. Can anyone direct me to a tutorial or tell me how to do it? I suppose I need to download a program from the AEM website; but what program? And then, after I connect the laptop to the EMS box, what do I click on next? Most importantly, I need to know what things I should not do so that I don't wreck something. As you can see, I am not a tuner. I just want to be able to monitor things.

Thank you!

Philippe

Depending on whether you have the Series 1 EMS or Series 2, that differentiates what software you will need. AEMPro is the software for the older version and AEMTuner is the Series 2 version. I think you can still download Tuner from the AEM website, but I'm not so sure about Pro. It does come on the CD Rom that comes with the EMS. That CD also has a User Manual for the software.

It is interesting to use the software and tinker. The only thing I'd say is BE CAREFUL. It is not hard to mess something up. I'd advise this: If the software ever asks you if you want to "save changes" just say NO.

I should have mentioned that I have the AEM EMS Series 2 for drive-by-wire NSX's. Also, does anyone know if the idle speed is adjustable?

Thanks, again!

If you are series 2 then things are easier you should not have to mess with USB-Serial adapters, and such. Make sure you have the newest version which right now can be found here under the downloads tab:

http://aemelectronics.com/software-aemnet/series-2-ems-4-series-1-software

Or Direct link(May change):
http://aemelectronics.com/files/software/AEMTuner_3.2.exe

When you run the software, make sure to run it as administrator! You will need to select a workspace to start off with, just select the Series 2 EMS Default. You don't need to select a calibration file so you can cancel that, once you connect it will automatically download the calibration from the ECU. Save a copy of this calibration as a backup that you will never change. Always work off of another copy if you want to make changes.

As for connecting, I suggest connecting the cables while the key is off, make sure the software is up and running, and then turn the key to on. Once connected you should see live updates for all the data on the screen. Also be careful any changes made in the software are updated in the realtime on the ECU.

Idle is adjustable. Most of your idle adjustments will come from Idle Target Base, as well as Idle% vs target in the idle tab. Idle % vs Target defines what duty cycle on the idle air control valve correlates to the intended RPM. Once you have properly mapped your duty cycle vs your target, you will scale your idle target base by selecting your desired RPM relative to the coolant temp. AEM has idle trims so nothing has to be "perfect" but they can only go so far, so if your idle% vs target isn't in the ballpark it may not be able to reach your target RPM.

idle.png

Back