• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking to buy a new NSX Have questions

well looking at some owners that may be able to answer some questions.
Is this car a great car for the money?
Is the infotainment system good?
What options would you put on your car if you had to buy it over again?
Last what color with inside color combos?

Thank you all in advance
Mark

It is pretty tough to order one of these with out actually seeing it in person which is hard enough to ever see one in person.

where are you located?

I'm sure most owners could spend hours answering your questions but I'll do my best to be short and to the point...

Is this car a great car for the money? - It's honestly a pretty unbelievable bargain, but of course, that depends on what you're paying for the car. Prices have gone up again so a "bargain" is all relative.
Is the infotainment system good? - I'm sure the system was good for its time, but don't expect anything amazing by today's standards. I have a 95 with the cassette deck. The CD shuttle was removed from my trunk as it's original placement inside the trunk was weird and didn't allow for golf clubs to fit in (they fit in quite easily now) Some owners have installed a GPS unit/CD player. I haven't done that but I've heard good things about them.
What options would you put on your car if you had to buy it over again? In my opinion, the only thing the NSX was really missing was a decent exhaust. I've swapped mine out to a Pride V2 but there are a lot of other options out there.
Last what color with inside color combos? This is all personal choice. My car is black with tan interior. Blue/Tan and White/Tan also look really good. But so does all black...I have never seen a bad colour combo in these cars.

Hope that helps a little. You'll find this community is pretty tight knit. I'd definitely recommend meeting up with some of the local owners as suggested already...

***Moderator Note***

Moved to the correct forum.

To the OP, several Gen2 owners should respond to you here. My thoughts are below.

At the $150k price point, there is simply nothing better in the market. The Audi R8 is close, but it lacks the hybrid e-motors, which really add to the driving experience- especially in acceleration. A 911 of similar performance is at least $20k more and again is missing the hybrid tech. TBH, to get the same technology, you have to buy a Mclaren P1, Porsche 918 or similar. The NSX is simply a fabulous value for what you get in terms of performance.
This is probably the weakest point of the NSX, but even so it is still fully functional. The audio sounds nice and it has full Bluetooth capability. I think owners just wish it was a little more smooth and glitzy-looking like the newer cars.
Iron brakes if you track, carbon roof, dry carbon engine cover, Y-wheels, battery tender (the 12V battery is a known source of problems if it gets low). I think all the other carbon bits look cheesy.
My favs:
Nouvelle Blue / Saddle
130R White / Red
Thermal Orange / Black

My wife wants to get a Valencia Red / Saddle...

**EDIT** You really should see one in person if you can and perhaps drive it. If you are a serious buyer, Acura may let you test drive one if the dealer actually has one on the lot. For me, once I actually saw it and drove it, it really elevated the car in my mind. Internet pictures don't do it justice- it's quite a striking car. There is one (maybe two) in my future. Also, owners are reporting the 2021 build slots are almost full, so there might be a wait.

Last edited:
Well, of course you're going to get biased answers on an NSX forum. *lol* But here are my thoughts:

Is this car a great car for the money? You will likely find that most of us found the NSX an unbeatable value, which is why we bought them. It's not the fastest car, or the quickest, or the loudest, or the anything-est. But it literally does EVERYTHING really, really well. It's comfortable, reliable, and just as easy to use as a daily driver as to carve up a track.

Is the infotainment system good? Frankly, no. It's adequate.

What options would you put on your car if you had to buy it over again? I got all the options on mine, and would spec it the same way again. Most of the options are aesthetic, so purely personal choice as to whether you think the car looks better with or without them.

Last what color with inside color combos? I agree with others who have said there's honestly not a bad color combo for this car. Something about the lines and curves just works so well in bright, dark, or striking colors. The two colors with a significant upcharge (nouvelle blue pearl and valencia red pearl) are particularly deep and lustrous, but again this is a very personal decision. As an example, I'm wrinkling my nose thinking about Honcho's top choices in the previous post--personally I don't like the saddle interior at all, and I find white the most boring of all the NSX colors. But what's right for me probably wouldn't be right for him (or maybe for you)! Your dealer should at least have color chips and leather samples of all the colors, letting you get a decent idea of how various combos would look together.

Good luck with your decision!

My thoughts:

Is the NSX a great value for the money. For those of us who own one, I would say YES As noted there are not a lot of other cars at this price point. If you intent to keep the car over a period of years then the answer becomes even more NSX sided. From what I have learned this car is very much like the previous generations in terms of build quality and reliability. While the maintenance costs are a bit higher then for previous generations, it is justified given the technology. I personally considered the Porsche Turbo S before getting this car. I am really happy I went with the NSX.

As for the infotainment system. Given the tight internal space of this car I believe the audio system is actually pretty good. I have a Volvo with a $3200 upgraded Bowers and Wilkins audio system and that really sounds excellent. However the Volvo is a much larger vehicle and has the space for speaker placement. The apple car play and its cousin work well in the NSX. I hear complaints concerning the resolution etcetera, but not sure if those complaints come from actual owners or those who wish they could afford one. There are a couple of owners who have modified the amplifier and speakers to improve the sound. Frankly when driving my focus is more on the car then sitting back and listening to music.

As for options, my car is loaded with everything. I would not have it any other way. I personally like the looks. In some instances the Carbon Fiber does more than just look good. The carbon fiber roof saves weight, with some estimating around 25+ pounds. The carbon ceramic brakes are not only great looking but work extremely well. You will hear folks suggesting that if you track the car you should get steel two piece rotors. For what it is worth that is the cheap approach. If you want the best braking then go with the carbon ceramic brakes and accept the fact that after you wear them out you will need to replace them. If you are serious about tracking your car then you want the best capability. There are a few folks on this forum who track their cars often and do so with the carbon ceramic brakes.

Colors are a very personal choice. The car is extraordinary in just about any color you choose.

Last edited:
I dont own one, but have driven a few.

Yes. New or used for under $150,000 is a great deal.

No. Its the last gen system from Honda. Fortunately you can use Carplay/Android auto. Sound quality is adequate. See the post by @
bngl3rt for his upgrades

All of the options are cosmetic except the ceramic brakes (though they end up being cosmetic as most NSXs wont see track duty). Ceramic rotors get you different caliper color options, so if thats important to you... Interior CF package is a must. I prefer the feel of the CF trimmed steering wheel. I go back and forth on the CF decklid spoiler. Only thing I would add is a subtle aftermarket exhaust to open things up a bit.

Yellow, orange, and silver. Though I haven't seen Long Beach Blue yet. All with ebony full leather interior for me.

Last edited:

At this price point, that is always debatable. It's a wonderful car and if you are a Honda person, it will tick that box for you as well. Mine is 4.5 years old, a bit over 13K miles and has no issues. I will likely have the second oil change done later this year. I though it was time for a cabin air filter for this round of winter summer tires and wheels swapping and my service advisor said, no not yet (in the yellow zone of their green, yellow, red inspection guide).

The infotainment was out of date when the car was released. At least it's a touch screen, which I prefer. The sound quality of the hifi is good, as is the handsfree calling. The texts via infotainment is cool. I mostly just use carplay with my iPhone if I am in the mood for sounds other than the blow off valve.

I have carboceramics and would take those again. I like my alcantara roof liner, I would get the sport pedals (you have to get an interior package to get those back in MY 2017). I skipped all the CF. The CF wheel is just a garnish. If you want to charge me for CF, then give me a real CF wheel. I would pay to get the factory wired trickle charger, which I didn't do on my car.

130R White with saddle/black alcantara seats.

well looking at some owners that may be able to answer some questions.

Thank you all in advance
Mark

It is pretty tough to order one of these with out actually seeing it in person which is hard enough to ever see one in person.
Good info here. Thoughts on what has been said?

It is great to hear from those that have driven and own one of these cars-I love the $6000.00 dollar red but do not want to pay that much more for that color-my other dilemma is out of the colors of interiors red is my favorite but then the outside color that I can live with for the little extra is the long beach blue-One down side of this car is the lack of aftermarket parts like the rear spoiler inside carbon and outside carbon and engine should carbon-its either pony up when built or forget it.

Thanks Again for all your input
Mark

Good luck with your search. And welcome to the site.

Mine has all the carbon options except the wing, and on black it looks very sleek. To me, carbon on the interior and engine cover are a must, roof is nice also (yet no longer available), and the rear diffuser looks great in carbon. I could go either way with the side skirts and front splitter. I like the all leather look and mine has the full black leather. CCBs also - look and perform great. For other things I agree with what the others have said above.

It is great to hear from those that have driven and own one of these cars-I love the $6000.00 dollar red but do not want to pay that much more for that color-my other dilemma is out of the colors of interiors red is my favorite but then the outside color that I can live with for the little extra is the long beach blue-One down side of this car is the lack of aftermarket parts like the rear spoiler inside carbon and outside carbon and engine should carbon-its either pony up when built or forget it.
Thanks Again for all your input
Mark

SOS has a rear spoiler for less than factory:

https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...speed-sport-low-rise-spoiler-nsx-2017-on.html

zfccyll4.jpeg

Yep, going with OEM for me.

If I were to ever get another NC1, which is highly doubtful, the only CF options I would get would be the CCB and rear spoiler. All the other CF really doesn't give any advantage in looks or performance. One person down here actually did a CF wrap on his roof and it looked pretty good. The CF interior really isn't that spectacular, and my instrument cluster CF binnacle squeaked a lot.

I echo your comments about interior CF. I actually prefer the alcantara visor cover vs. CF. I would have chose alcantara headliner but def not paying for interior carbon option($2,500 + $1,300 = $3,800).

Last edited:
If I were to ever get another NC1, which is highly doubtful, the only CF options I would get would be the CCB and rear spoiler. All the other CF really doesn't give any advantage in looks or performance. One person down here actually did a CF wrap on his roof and it looked pretty good. The CF interior really isn't that spectacular, and my instrument cluster CF binnacle squeaked a lot.

Why the CCB? For the caliper color? Or are they that much better?

Not only do the ceramic brakes look good, they also perform and exhibit very little fade with heavy use. Funny you would say they are expensive? Compared to Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, MC, Corvette, they are competitively priced. The NSX is not an econobox damn it. It is a supper car and don’t suggest otherwise. Next thing people on this forum are going to suggest using regular gas to save money. Then I will just scream. Maybe the problem with the NSX is that folks wanted a Ferrari killer that costs like a Corolla, and must last for over 250,000 with only one oil change…

Back