• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lotus Elise?

HTN

Experienced Member
I need some input from you car nuts out there.
My wife has an 06 G35 Coupe as a daily driver. We are getting bored with it after driving our NSX for 7 months now.
Lotus will probably be a better fit for her.

Any thoughts? Btw... this will be her daily driver.

Thanks

She'd better be plenty flexible if she's going to climb in and out of an Elise every day.

I'm guessing there's no real ladylike way to do that, either.

Exciting to drive but it's loud, harsh, and tight inside. Tough to get in and out of without giving a quick show to everyone around (if she's wearing a skirt).

Very expensive to fix if you ding the front clamshell as well. I believe $7K is what you'll typically pay to get a replacement, since it's one big piece on the front. Not exactly daily driver friendly.

The Lotus Elise is SWEET!

I'm sure it could be done cheaper..but:cool:
For 19,000 Turn key Secant vehicles can perform an engine swap from a 2.0 SC Ecotec from GM its out of the Cobalt SS only 4lbs heaver but has an extra 40bhp and 71lb-ft + comes with a 1year guarantee. All onboard diagnostics work as they would except traction control.

They have all kinds of killer upgrades for the 2.0 Ecotec SC the thing is like bullet proof.

You want to buy an Elise as a DD for your Wife:eek: - Is this a serious question or an April Fool's joke?

I would NEVER ever consider an Elise as a DD. It is just too much of a death trap, difficult to get in/out of, too expensive to fix etc etc. Get her a boxster if you want to get her a sporty 2 seater then I would consider a boxster or a S2000.

Exciting to drive but it's loud, harsh, and tight inside. Tough to get in and out of without giving a quick show to everyone around (if she's wearing a skirt).

+1 The couple Elise folks I have spoken too say the same thing, its a great fun car, but a little harsh as a DD. (one of em drives a Civic on a daily basis)

You want to buy an Elise as a DD for your Wife:eek: - Is this a serious question or an April Fool's joke?

I would NEVER ever consider an Elise as a DD. It is just too much of a death trap, difficult to get in/out of, too expensive to fix etc etc. Get her a boxster if you want to get her a sporty 2 seater then I would consider a boxster or a S2000.

Spot on.
Elises are great for the track, for a DD only, its absolutely useless.

You guys are HALarious....:biggrin:
I can always count on this forum to give me nothing but the truth.
Thanks for the honest opinions. We love the NSX and was originally meant to be her DD. She then decided that it's too flashy for work.
So lately we've been thinking about dumping the G for something more fun and less of on the road.

Never thought about the getting in and out part.... I'm getting visuals.
No Elise for her.

Hmmm.... I guess we are back to square one. I still love to see more thoughts if anyone else care to chime in.

+1

Boxster...
There are plenty of used Elises for sale with low mileage from people who thought they'd be good DD's.

I'd barely buy one, certainly wouldn't buy one [or recommend one] for any girl I've ever known. The ride is significantly harsher than an AP1 s2000 for reference, IMO at least. I'd let her test drive an s2000. Much, much more practical/reliable/durable/cheaper to maintain/cheaper to repair and probably just as fun to drive to her.

The Lotus Elise is SWEET!

I'm sure it could be done cheaper..but:cool:
For 19,000 Turn key Secant vehicles can perform an engine swap from a 2.0 SC Ecotec from GM its out of the Cobalt SS only 4lbs heaver but has an extra 40bhp and 71lb-ft + comes with a 1year guarantee. All onboard diagnostics work as they would except traction control.

They have all kinds of killer upgrades for the 2.0 Ecotec SC the thing is like bullet proof.
Man I'm disappointed in it having a GM engine.:frown: I'd rather have the non SC Toyota powerplant.

I would love to have the S2000 CR Blk/Blk.
I think a member on here has one. What a beaut.

either an S2000 or a Boxster/Boxster S would be more suitable than a Lotus Elise for daily use

I'd barely buy one, certainly wouldn't buy one [or recommend one] for any girl I've ever known. The ride is significantly harsher than an AP1 s2000 for reference

Who knows, perhaps she likes it rough :rolleyes: :biggrin: :tongue:

My recommendation would be a Miata!
It has the (I don't know why) girly image and is one of the best drives "right out of the box" that you can buy.
If she wants more power: get a supercharged or turbo-ed one and I garantee she will have a lot of fun with it's sharp driving and (if supercharged/turbo)enough power to humiliate lots of "sportscars".

A Miata is very easy to live with, relatively cheap, low maintanance.
I wouldn't want to swap my Turbo-ed '99 10th AE for a S2000! I have driven the S2000 and even though that is a very good car, there is no comparison fun factor wise.

Latest update.
She still wants to check out the Elise. And yes... I told her what you guys wrote. She has a mind of her own. Oh Btw, she does not like girly sport car wanabes. :biggrin:

I am actually looking forward to the test drive, just not the entire sales guy pitch. Don't blame them... I just hate the process.

Back