• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Meeyatch1 + Detroit Auto Show Press Day + NSX unveiling = AWESOME!!

I talked to more people today that went to the auto show yesterday, and they said the same thing. That the car looks SOOO much better in person than it does in the pictures. :smile:

Yeah, take the beakplate off and it's so much better. Granted, it's not the same concept, but it's a similar mouth.

Anyone up for chopping the beak off of one of the real concept shots?

Edit: Nevermind, did it myself. Also took the opportunity to match the roof and pillars.

Problem Solved: :biggrin:
77411d1290401587-scarab-y2ks-2000-black-1-8t-plasti-dip-can.jpg

Goes on like spray paint, dries to an even matte finish, but if you hate it, it just peels off like vinyl.

img001272011040910431.jpg

(not my car above but I have an MR2 that is currently COMPLETELY painted with plasti-dip)

Last edited:

This is a great article, saw it on the front page of MSN. Doc beats me in posting it up, obviouly.

Very positive views on both "Old" and "New" NSXs, couple of my favorite comments:

From the looks of it, the new NSX isn't a logical evolution of the previous diamond in the rough. It will rely on technology for its appeal, with all-wheel drive, a hybrid drivetrain and a paddle transmission, while the original was a purist's vehicle, a simple, well-considered sports car. Even so, we have to think that when the new NSX does drop, it will gain a following. It just won't be the same bunch who loved the previous car.

While that might remove some of the fun of the original, you have to put yourself in Acura's shoes. If the automaker doesn't incorporate technologies such as all-wheel drive, hybrid powertrains and paddle transmissions, it isn't going to have a prayer of competing against rivals such as the Lexus LF-A or the indomitable Nissan GT-R.

Read it. :smile:

Yeah, take the beakplate off and it's so much better. Granted, it's not the same concept, but it's a similar mouth.

Anyone up for chopping the beak off of one of the real concept shots?

Edit: Nevermind, did it myself. Also took the opportunity to match the roof and pillars.

By removing the beak, the radiator opening looks too big now. Reducing the size of it just a little bit would further improve the looks me thinks :smile:

I think the front end is just whacked, beak or no beak. It needs to be redesigned.

The beak still sucks. And yes the front end needs work. It chops off abruptly when viewed from the side. I don't care if It is the latest fad. It doesn't look good. And the reason are not necessarily for pedestrian safety requirements because many exotics and Porsche still have a low nose. Pedestrian safety requires a certain gap between the hood and a hard object under the hood. For front engine cars, this is a problem so manufacturers either raise the hood line or design in deployable rear hood hinge to increase the gap during a pedestrian impact.

Mid and rear engine cars should have no problems so the leading edge of the hood can be further lowered like our NSX.

The rear of the car also needs work. Just look at the pictures from the rear 3/4 view.

I talked to more people today that went to the auto show yesterday, and they said the same thing. That the car looks SOOO much better in person than it does in the pictures. :smile:

After attending the show on Saturday, I 100% agree with the in-person reactions to the looks as opposed to just seeing the pictures. I was reserving judgement on the looks until seeing it in person - I'm impressed with everything except the rims and any real, subtle outward link to the earlier generation NSX. Even the rear-end looked good. As far as the front goes, given the silver color of the concept car, it really offsets the overt presentation of the beak and it tends to mute its presence. I'd like to see the trademark integrated rear spoiler somehow in the final product, but all-in-all, a knockout in person.

General comments from the peanut gallery were overwhelmingly positive.

As an aside, I asked one of the Acura reps what the target price was going to be and he said "somewhere close to the original ..." Take that for what its worth.

I'd post my pictures, but that seems to have been over done, so I'll just exit quietly ...

Ikeda

The new Acura NSX concept is perhaps the most important design ever for a brand that hasn’t always presented a clear, consistent face. We walked around the concept with Acura head designer Jon Ikeda to learn what he likes best about the new concept. Though he cautions that this is not the final shape – time in the wind tunnel will likely result in some changes – he thinks the concept points toward a new, more emotional Acura design language.

1. Proportion: I like the fact that it’s an NSX. I like that it’s a mid-engined proportioned vehicle.
2. Size: We’re all about performance and efficiency. We’re always trying to make the car have a lightweight feel and look. The [NSX’s] basic styling expresses what we’re really trying to do.
3. Front-end graphics and roof pillars: We’re trying to [give] a lightweight feel about the car. The front-end graphics lighten up the whole front of the vehicle. The roof pillars and mirrors seem to be floating.
4. Wheels: 1 of our young designers came up with this wheel. It looks like a dish type, aero wheel while it’s turning, but you can see when it’s stopped that it’s completely different. Very aggressive, very purposeful.
5. Emotion: We tried to put a lot more emotion into our design language. We still kept the tech look because we’re about technology and want to try and portray that, but we’re trying to do it in a sexier way.

Acura-NSX-Concept-rear-view1.jpg

Here's some other interesting quotes from an SAE article: http://www.sae.org/mags/sve/10553

On the topic of when things began:
"About a year ago is when the NSX design project began, according to Jon Ikeda, head of the Acura Design Studio, talking to AEI at the auto show Jan. 9. That’s when designers from the Los Angeles studio were sent to Japan."

“We were using all of our assets globally in terms of studios,” he explained. “Obviously to get to this point, there are things our engineers were already bringing up to create a vehicle that enhances what we call managing synergy [between the vehicle and its operator].”

On the topic of materials:
"The car will employ lightweight materials, but what those materials will be and to what extent they will be applied could not be discussed. “Lightweight is an absolute priority,” said Robinson. “You can expect exotic materials.”

“It’s going to be a hybrid vehicle, it’s a V6 engine, and an all-wheel-drive system—everything’s not going to be the lightest in the world, so everything else probably has to be very light,” Ikeda told AEI. “That’s what all these guys will be looking at—the lightest materials they can get their hands on [and involving] many components to make this happen.”

Just back from the show and pics just do NOT do this car justice.
Going on the pics I had seen, I wasn't to crazy about the beak and the rear treatments. In person the whole design flows wonderfully ..my only concern is that it gets priced out of reach and I have to wait to buy a used one.

After attending the show on Saturday, I 100% agree with the in-person reactions to the looks as opposed to just seeing the pictures. I was reserving judgement on the looks until seeing it in person - I'm impressed with everything except the rims and any real, subtle outward link to the earlier generation NSX. Even the rear-end looked good. As far as the front goes, given the silver color of the concept car, it really offsets the overt presentation of the beak and it tends to mute its presence. I'd like to see the trademark integrated rear spoiler somehow in the final product, but all-in-all, a knockout in person.

General comments from the peanut gallery were overwhelmingly positive.

As an aside, I asked one of the Acura reps what the target price was going to be and he said "somewhere close to the original ..." Take that for what its worth.

I'd post my pictures, but that seems to have been over done, so I'll just exit quietly ...

Last edited:
if lightweight is an absolute priority, then that's awesome! please please aluminum and carbon fiber body panels

I could do

carbon fiber:
-front and rear bumpers
-hood
-side skirts
-wing
-mirrors

aluminum:
-front and rear fenders
-frame/subframe
-doors
-roof
-trunk

less than 3,000 lbs!

yes!

less than 3,000 lbs!

yes!

No way. "light" these days is 3500. If it comes in at 3300 they will be very proud. 3000? Hybrid car with all new safety gear, batteries, motors?

Last edited:
Just back from the show and pics just do NOT do this car justice.
I 100% agree with the in-person reactions to the looks as opposed to just seeing the pictures.
That the car looks SOOO much better in person than it does in the pictures.

etc...

Um guys, has there once, in the history of ever, been a time that you heard ANYONE say "That NSX of yours looks like CRAP in pictures, but in person it rocks!"

The answer is no. I don't buy those comments for a second, as they remind me of a bad marriage - you always try to ignore the faults you see because you WANT it so badly to work. Sadly, you lie to yourself.

If a car isn't knockout beautiful in silver, its going to suck in any other color (unless we're to all get black to hide the non-graceful lines and giant tooth).

When Honda as a company went "green" they lost virtually all credibility they had in the marketplace, and my God look what they did to their F1 team. If they can radically change battery life, size, weight and charge time from the gas engine and regeneration, then maybe they'll have a "curiosity" - but a car that people with the means will want to buy instead of the other $100k sports cars out there? I don't think so.

The original NSX was so different, and had the "soul" factor that few cars since have had - and I just don't see it in this new design. There isn't a line, curve or bump on the original that wasn't there for a reason. It may have some neat technology planned for it, but how much of it will make it to the final design when they start testing and figure out it weighs too much and doesn't have enough horse power?

I've given it a lot of thought, and I for one will save my pennies for spare parts for my car to last until I can't drive it any longer - and I'll be a happy guy.

The original had plenty of people who didn't like it and said it has no soul. I don't think this is any different. It really doesn't matter much what a few hardcore nsx owners and prime members think of this versus the current NSX. The large majority of ordinary people think the concept looks awesome, and few of them would take the current nsx over this much more modern looking car.

This whole argument is a moot point if you ask me. The public response to this car has been overwhelmingly positive. What difference doses it make if a few of us don't like it (and I'm not one).

The original had plenty of people who didn't like it and said it has no soul. I don't think this is any different. It really doesn't matter much what a few hardcore nsx owners and prime members think of this versus the current NSX. The large majority of ordinary people think the concept looks awesome, and few of them would take the current nsx over this much more modern looking car.

This whole argument is a moot point if you ask me. The public response to this car has been overwhelmingly positive. What difference doses it make if a few of us don't like it (and I'm not one).

IMO it really doesn't matter what the public at large thinks about it. What matters is what the people who are likely to buy one thinks about it. And from what I've seen (not just on prime) with a few exceptions the enthusiast crowd hasn't had many positive things to say about it.

I found this to be the case asking people around the office as well. I don't think Prime opinion counts as what percentage here can afford to buy it depending on price?? Most primers now paid between $20-50k and the new car will be around $100k.

Like I've said before once used GTR prices drop more we'll see most here switching over and then depending on the new cars stats they'll come back
after 2.0's prices have dropped.

Dave you remember when we used to get blasted for buying the car new lol

etc...

Um guys, has there once, in the history of ever, been a time that you heard ANYONE say "That NSX of yours looks like CRAP in pictures, but in person it rocks!"

Actually I have always thought that the NSX looks better in person than in pictures. Pictures just can't capture the lines as well. Not to say there aren't some nice shots of the NSX but just captivates me more in person.

etc...

The answer is no. I don't buy those comments for a second, as they remind me of a bad marriage - you always try to ignore the faults you see because you WANT it so badly to work. Sadly, you lie to yourself.

I have always thought that the original NSX does not look very good in photos, and looks better in person. It only starts looking good with longer lenses, similar to taking portraits of people. I agree that it is better if a car looks good in photos and in person, and there are occasionally cars that pull that off.

Last edited:
IMO it really doesn't matter what the public at large thinks about it. What matters is what the people who are likely to buy one thinks about it. And from what I've seen (not just on prime) with a few exceptions the enthusiast crowd hasn't had many positive things to say about it.

The "Enthusiast crowd" like who? Guys on car forums? Most of them probably are not the people you are talking about, the people that would actually buy the car. ANYONE I have shown it to has said "whoa"... and it is MODERN unlike our NSX.

Dave you remember when we used to get blasted for buying the car new lol

Yes. Anyone that bought a new one had to explain themselves. LOL... I was plenty maligned especially because of the other cars I could have bought. Now all those cars are worth a fragment of what my car is worth.

This NSX concept is beautiful and modern (cept the nose detail). But I will reserve judgement on just how modern the new NSX may look until I see what changes are made in production, and what the new R8 and C7 look like in 3 years...

For the most part though, if this car made production as is with a cleaned up nose I think it will continue to look modern for many years. I haven't been able to say that of any vette since 1984.

Back