• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Meeyatch1 + Detroit Auto Show Press Day + NSX unveiling = AWESOME!!

Thanks to all the posters for the updates, and for all the NAIAS NSXers representing the community!

On the off chance anyone from Acura NA is reading I would like to mention the following:

1.) styling is nice, but please remove the beak. This is a halo car, you can start a new brand image that is equally distinct, but actually pleasant. If Cadillac and Buick can do this, you can. Stop pushing a bad idea uphill.

2.) Forget the batteries. They are too heavy and this is not what the mainstream American sports car enthusiast wants. Need support for my argument? Look no further than CRZ vs CRX/ITR/RSX sales. You are competing with R8s, GTRs, 991TTs, ZR1s etc. Make it light, not light plus XXXlbs of batteries and electric motors! If you must push a 'green agenda', do it with turbos a la the F150 ecoboost. How about a small turbo'ed GDI V8?

$.02 (you'll have to earn the rest)

etc...

Um guys, has there once, in the history of ever, been a time that you heard ANYONE say "That NSX of yours looks like CRAP in pictures, but in person it rocks!"

The answer is no. I don't buy those comments for a second, as they remind me of a bad marriage - you always try to ignore the faults you see because you WANT it so badly to work. Sadly, you lie to yourself.

If a car isn't knockout beautiful in silver, its going to suck in any other color (unless we're to all get black to hide the non-graceful lines and giant tooth).

When Honda as a company went "green" they lost virtually all credibility they had in the marketplace, and my God look what they did to their F1 team. If they can radically change battery life, size, weight and charge time from the gas engine and regeneration, then maybe they'll have a "curiosity" - but a car that people with the means will want to buy instead of the other $100k sports cars out there? I don't think so.

The original NSX was so different, and had the "soul" factor that few cars since have had - and I just don't see it in this new design. There isn't a line, curve or bump on the original that wasn't there for a reason. It may have some neat technology planned for it, but how much of it will make it to the final design when they start testing and figure out it weighs too much and doesn't have enough horse power?

I've given it a lot of thought, and I for one will save my pennies for spare parts for my car to last until I can't drive it any longer - and I'll be a happy guy.

What? NSX had "soul"... wait are we talking about the same car here??? I remember reading that all the reviewers always talked about "Lack of soul" for the original NSX. How it wasn't a wild supercar. It was too civilized and lacked character. I believe they also complained about how it wasn't very pretty (I think most people on Prime and myself would disagree with that but you get my point).

Yes I agree with those you quoted there are cars that don't look good in pictures and look better in person. It must be a 3D perspective thing vs looking at a still 2D picture.

What? NSX had "soul"... wait are we talking about the same car here??? I remember reading that all the reviewers always talked about "Lack of soul" for the original NSX. How it wasn't a wild supercar. It was too civilized and lacked character. I believe they also complained about how it wasn't very pretty (I think most people on Prime and myself would disagree with that but you get my point).

Yes I agree with those you quoted there are cars that don't look good in pictures and look better in person. It must be a 3D perspective thing vs looking at a still 2D picture.

LOL Finally someone else who remembers what all the Porsche , Vette , Lotus and Ferrari guys said about the original being , bland looking , soulless and how they ( mostly 911 guys ) would rather keep buying oil seals and enjoy having a car with character than this soulless asian crap ( their words not mine ).

Never has the saying "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it" applied so well. The new car truly deserves the name NSX.

Thanks to all the posters for the updates, and for all the NAIAS NSXers representing the community!

On the off chance anyone from Acura NA is reading I would like to mention the following:

1.) styling is nice, but please remove the beak. This is a halo car, you can start a new brand image that is equally distinct, but actually pleasant. If Cadillac and Buick can do this, you can. Stop pushing a bad idea uphill.

2.) Forget the batteries. They are too heavy and this is not what the mainstream American sports car enthusiast wants. Need support for my argument? Look no further than CRZ vs CRX/ITR/RSX sales. You are competing with R8s, GTRs, 991TTs, ZR1s etc. Make it light, not light plus XXXlbs of batteries and electric motors! If you must push a 'green agenda', do it with turbos a la the F150 ecoboost. How about a small turbo'ed GDI V8?

$.02 (you'll have to earn the rest)

That just makes to much sense. :wink:

T

I don't know if you have realized that Obama administration has put a deadline for automakers to reduce carbon emission and increase MPG. I think Honda wants to get ahead of the game and the rest of automakers will have to follow Honda's footsteps in the future.

Last edited:
maybe this has already been said (sorry, i have not read EVERY reply in this thread), but i think we all need a little perspective here...

when the original NSX came out, it was criticized as being soul-less, having imitated design, mediocre horsepower, and overpriced. it is only with time over the years that the perception started changing. today, we consider the design to be timeless... but remember it was not always perceived that way. today we consider the car full of soul, but keep in mind that the bulk of the automotive world still doesn't agree with us on this matter. and perhaps most importantly, if we are honest with ourselves, we know that the NSX is a marvelous chassis that would have been better served with about 100 more hp from the factory. even back then, revolutionary as the car was, it was never the fastest car on the block.

so why are we asking for that from the new NSX?

why do we want (or worse, expect) it to have supercar crushing horsepower?! that has NEVER been what the NSX is about... not back then, and certainly not now. evaluating design is a fool's game. we are all, understandably so, attached to the look of the original NSX... but remember that when it first came... gorgeous as it was, it wasn't so wildly different from the other cars of its time. same thing applies to the new car. it may look similar to the current crop of performance cars... but over time, we will learn to pick out the finer details, and grow to appreciate them. maybe. same with soul... we NEVER know how much soul a car has until it has been around for a few years.

personally, i LIKE that the original NSX was soulless. it had no quirks, no weird behaviors... everything just worked. and in being soulless, it was a great vessel for the driver's soul... translating his/her desires in a manner so pure and untainted by its own soul.

Can't wait to see this car in person, I have heard from many people that it's much better in person. I'll save my comments until I can see one myself but I have my doubts about the hybrid and looks at this point.

I don't know if you have realized that Obama administration has put a deadline for automakers to reduce carbon emission and increase MPG. I think Honda wants to get ahead of the game and the rest of automakers will have to follow Honda's footsteps in the future.

I understand your point, but I am not sure it applies here.
A) Turboed smaller displacement engine vs a larger displacement NA model helps too, and any halo car has almost no effect on the CAFE ratings of an auto manufacturer.
B) Honda is way ahead of game with CAFE compared to other manufacturers that sell huge trucks by the thousands.
C) As for mainstream, GDI/diesel works great for now as does just a lighter car. Longer term, I would love to have a successor to the FCX Clarity once fuel stations are readily available for it. I guess I am in the minority, but I just don't see the benefit to hybrids where I live. They are more complicated, more expensive and financially do not pay back.

Last edited:
so why are we asking for that from the new NSX?

why do we want (or worse, expect) it to have supercar crushing horsepower?! that has NEVER been what the NSX is about...

not back then, ...

Sorry but I disagree, back then the NSX crushed the entry level Ferrari, the 328.

Now today, we are talking about the 458 Italia.

Honda must make a revolution again and I believe that it can be done.

Their new hybrid sportscar concept is brilliant and will set new
standard.

Honda must bring a 4,2 L V6 @ 140 hp/L + electric motors wizardry and we clearly have a winning recipe!

Go Honda go!

Sorry but I disagree, back then the NSX crushed the entry level Ferrari, the 328.

standard.

Honda must bring a 4,2 L V6 @ 140 hp/L + electric motors wizardry and we clearly have a winning recipe!

Go Honda go!

crushed? surely you jest. the 328 had 270hp, which the NSX matched. sure, the NSX was far superior in pretty much every other way, but with horsepower, it was a tie.

more importantly though, back then, ferrari had a much broader range of cars. they had 5 mid-engined cars offered during the late 80s and early 90s, compared to 1 today... 2 if you count the enzo which is no longer produced. to say that the NSX matched (or crushed) their entry level car isn't really saying much. expecting the new NSX to crush ferrari's only real mid engine offering (and one that is considered one of the best current cars on the market, far from "entry level") today, is a bit misguided, and frankly asking for disappointment.

standard.

Go Honda go!

Actually the entry level Ferrari the NSX faced was the 348 and it had 300hp. The NSX didn't crush that car but proved to be better at everyday driving , comfort and usability.

The NSX didn't crush anything back in 91 and that wasn't it's purpose to begin with. It was built to be an everyday supercar/exotic that didn't crap out on it's owner or require constant service. It was meant to be comfortable quiet and have trunk that would accept golf clubs or luggage for two.

It's so funny that I wasn't an NSX fan but seem to remember more about the car than some of you who loved it from day one lol

So I called a few weeks ago to get an oil change done on my brother-in-law's Maserati that I helped him buy. This was just an oil change, nothing more, for a 2006 Gransport. No other maintenance, just an oil change. It was $430. I asked the service rep why it is so much, and he sounded surprised at such a ridiculous question, but then told me the "materials" are expensive and that there are a lot of panels that have to be removed and re-installed. :rolleyes:

This is why I own an NSX. I love exotic cars, to me an exotic is the ultimate car, what I have always wanted since I was like... 8 years old. But I can't stand being told I have to take a bath every few months in order to own one.

The standard NSX is an everyday supercar/exotic, but in stock form, too "everyday" for me. After an exhaust, a supercharger, a few R parts, it is just how I like it. It's very exotic looking, it is rare, it is fast, it sounds pretty good if not REAL good, and it doesn't break. Oil changes aren't $430.

If I buy a new NSX, it will be for the same reasons. A reliable, cost-effective exotic. It's one thing to buy a car, another to keep spending money on maintenance and parts. What other choice is there for such a car? It's not Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Maserati. It certainly isn't Aston. The closest are the R8 and the 911, and the 911 is not really exotic. The R8? meh... it's kind of froggy and still not Honda reliable. The GT-R is about as exotic as a Camry.

I would bet I am not the only one that feels this way. So this is what the new NSX should be like. Don't need "everyday" usability. Very few people buy a 100+K 2-seat cramped car to drive everyday. The NSX should be the "won't screw you in costs" exotic. Give me that and I will buy one. If making it more exotic raises the cost some, then I'd rather it be that way and I will buy a used one than it be lame and more affordable now.

So I called a few weeks ago to get an oil change done on my brother-in-law's Maserati that I helped him buy. This was just an oil change, nothing more, for a 2006 Gransport.

Is this the same Maserati you said before you got for your sister :rolleyes:

Was at the Omaha auto show and the Acura rep there said it would be released in 2014(I thought it was 2013). Thay also said itnwas looking to be $200k:eek: I hope he was just talking out his @$$

Is this the same Maserati you said before you got for your sister :rolleyes:

LOL... that must have really upset you. Don't go off topic. It's bad enough I'm metioned in your signature. You're starting to look like you are obsessed with me.

Thay also said itnwas looking to be $200k:eek: I hope he was just talking out his @$$

He was. How would he know. Honda doesn't even know. They basically said "OMG the company is going down the toilet, we screwed up the civic, Hyundai is breathing down our neck, our beak idea didn't fly, we need a halo NOW... hey how about that Avenger's car we made as a joke off an NA2, people like that the best of all".

So we get a mock model and some vague aspiration to be a hybrid. Now that they have done all the talking someone is probably shitting their pants thinking "now we have to build this thing". LOL

They know as much about price as you and I do. Maybe I am wrong but you know this is a distinct possibility!

If I buy a new NSX, it will be for the same reasons. A reliable, cost-effective exotic. It's one thing to buy a car, another to keep spending money on maintenance and parts. What other choice is there for such a car? It's not Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Maserati. It certainly isn't Aston. The closest are the R8 and the 911, and the 911 is not really exotic. The R8? meh... it's kind of froggy and still not Honda reliable. The GT-R is about as exotic as a Camry.

I would bet I am not the only one that feels this way. So this is what the new NSX should be like. Don't need "everyday" usability. Very few people buy a 100+K 2-seat cramped car to drive everyday. The NSX should be the "won't screw you in costs" exotic. Give me that and I will buy one. If making it more exotic raises the cost some, then I'd rather it be that way and I will buy a used one than it be lame and more affordable now.

Couldn't agree with you more. You're 100% bang on with all of your points. I would rather they make the car kick-ass then try and focus on making it affordable even if it means I have to wait to buy a used one.

BTW, speaking of outrageous cost of ownership examples, a friend of mine with a CarreraGT paid something like $1500 to change out his dead battery!!

He was. How would he know. Honda doesn't even know. They basically said "OMG the company is going down the toilet, we screwed up the civic, Hyundai is breathing down our neck, our beak idea didn't fly, we need a halo NOW... hey how about that Avenger's car we made as a joke off an NA2, people like that the best of all".

I'm pretty sure this is EXACTLY how it went down.

I think Honda realized that we weren’t jumping anymore whenever they headfaked an NSX replacement, so this time they actually shelled out for product placement in a movie and also for a deluxe clay mockup for the auto show.

LOL... that must have really upset you. Don't go off topic. It's bad enough I'm metioned in your signature. You're starting to look like you are obsessed with me.

Let you tell it everyone is:rolleyes: Nice question duck though lol I'll leave it at that:wink:

Couldn't agree with you more. You're 100% bang on with all of your points. I would rather they make the car kick-ass then try and focus on making it affordable even if it means I have to wait to buy a used one.

BTW, speaking of outrageous cost of ownership examples, a friend of mine with a CarreraGT paid something like $1500 to change out his dead battery!!

Isn't that exactly what Toyota tried to do with the LF-A? Going for an all-out kick ass car would lead to the Honda LF-A or Honda Carrera GT. You would get awesome magazine reviews but you would only sell in the hundreds over the model's entire lifetime, and that in its own way limits the reach of the halo generated by the car. With so few owners it becomes difficult or impossible to sustain an effective aftermarket industry for the car. It becomes difficult to build a community of users too. I think that would be the wrong way to go personally. Instead, aiming at the 911 is a great target in terms of performance, price, and attainability, but the NSX of course should be more exotic.

Last edited:
Back