• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Meth Kit with CTSC

I found an article on Import Tuner on a Water Injected NA2 CTSC low boost car...

I find it interesting/odd that they saw no power improvements from just cooling the IATs (before tuning).

I also notice they let IAT's "stabilize" between runs...so they didn't do the kind of extended testing that would illustrate any benefit RE avoidance of heat soak.

I find it interesting/odd that they saw no power improvements from just cooling the IATs (before tuning).

I also notice they let IAT's "stabilize" between runs...so they didn't do the kind of extended testing that would illustrate any benefit RE avoidance of heat soak.
I agree but i'm curious why they did not tune with a combination of meth/water especially when running the FCON.

According to Shad in an older post they did not yield much performance gain from water injection but did notice a drop in AITs. I believe this article confirms the same.

I must state however that these runs are being performed on a dyno. I'm no expert but it's hard for me to believe a dyno can replicate track conditions especially when it comes to severe heatsoak. That's where I believe cooling down the AITs will bring back lost performance that you do not see on a dyno.

Just my $0.02.

Ok guys fresh off the dyno. The setup

91 nsx stock 3.0 engine
CTSC Autorotor 8psi
Ct headers
custom EXH
AEM methanol injection with 70meth/30 water mix
Autowave Series 2 AEM EMShttp://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150818&highlight=series+2+aem

On 8psi without methanol injection this car produced 366whp. The start of the run the Iats were around 140 by the end of the run the Iats were over 185 this is on a 6 second dyno run. when I ran 3 back to back runs the Iats were well over 220f

With methanol injection the car produced right at 400whp. The start of the run the Iats were at 140f dropping down to 112f at the end of the run. I did 3 back to back full dyno runs and saw IATs stay at around 108f. After the three back back runs the blower actually started to condensate from being so cold. I was able to actually run right around 6 degrees more igntion advance through out the whole power band. the car produced 30-40 more whp through the entire power band with meth over without meth.

I will start a new thread when I get a little extra time and go into to full detail with dyno sheets and the entire build of the car

Mike@Autowave

Ok guys fresh off the dyno. The setup

91 nsx stock 3.0 engine
CTSC Autorotor 8psi
Ct headers
custom EXH
AEM methanol injection with 70meth/30 water mix
Autowave Series 2 AEM EMShttp://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150818&highlight=series+2+aem

On 8psi without methanol injection this car produced 366whp. The start of the run the Iats were around 140 by the end of the run the Iats were over 185 this is on a 6 second dyno run. when I ran 3 back to back runs the Iats were well over 220f

With methanol injection the car produced right at 400whp. The start of the run the Iats were at 140f dropping down to 112f at the end of the run. I did 3 back to back full dyno runs and saw IATs stay at around 108f. After the three back back runs the blower actually started to condensate from being so cold. I was able to actually run right around 6 degrees more igntion advance through out the whole power band. the car produced 30-40 more whp through the entire power band with meth over without meth.

I will start a new thread when I get a little extra time and go into to full detail with dyno sheets and the entire build of the car

Mike@Autowave
That's awesome Mike. Were you able to set this up with a 2nd map if in case there's some failure in the spray? What kind of fail-safe sensors did you use?

very interested...

Mike,

What size containers of meth/water does this use (are they pre-mixed in that container or two separate containers and the system does the mixing)? How long do those last?

That's awesome Mike. Were you able to set this up with a 2nd map if in case there's some failure in the spray? What kind of fail-safe sensors did you use?

very interested...

I utilized Aem's new fail safe device. Very nice piece. It monitors the flow of the water meth and you are able to set High and low limits of flow it also comes with a flow gauge. If the methanol injection flows out of these limits than It triggers a ground signal that is fed to the AEM ems to activate a fail safe map. very fool proof

...and it lasts ____.

that all depends on your right foot. the way I have it setup is anything over 3psi of boost the the meth starts to spray. I would say normal street driving the 5 gallon tank should last quite a long time. methanol is cheap it is around 4 bucks a gallon depending on your source

that all depends on your right foot. the way I have it setup is anything over 3psi of boost the the meth starts to spray. I would say normal street driving the 5 gallon tank should last quite a long time. methanol is cheap it is around 4 bucks a gallon depending on your source

Max flow rate?

What size meth jet did you use, and where did you install the jet?

Mike can you make this work with a FIC? Can we make a kit that will pass an OBDII test with a walboro and larger injectors? Can this car now run without Meth? If yes, can you do the same with a FIC?

Did my first spirited canyon drive with the CTSC this wknd...I suppose some sections were more than spirited but it's not close to what i'd be at on the track. It was about 75-80 degs ambient at 3000-5000 feet elevation. The heatsoak was apparent and as expected the car ran very rich (probably due to the high IATs). I noticed the lack of HP about an hour into the drive. I live at sea level so this could have been the altitude but i'm not so sure. Anyway, I'm surprised this isn't more of a problem for CTSC owners.

I was averaging 14.1 mpg :eek::eek::eek: when I usually average ~22mpg up there. I still get about 270~miles on a full tank on street/fwy driving at sea level.

The high_IAT/heat_soak issue needs to be resolved. I haven't decided on my gauge package yet so I can't data log any of this at the moment.

Did my first spirited canyon drive with the CTSC this wknd...I suppose some sections were more than spirited but it's not close to what i'd be at on the track. It was about 75-80 degs ambient at 3000-5000 feet elevation. The heatsoak was apparent and as expected the car ran very rich (probably due to the high IATs). I noticed the lack of HP about an hour into the drive. I live at sea level so this could have been the altitude but i'm not so sure. Anyway, I'm surprised this isn't more of a problem for CTSC owners.

I was averaging 14.1 mpg :eek::eek::eek: when I usually average ~22mpg up there. I still get about 270~miles on a full tank on street/fwy driving at sea level.

The high_IAT/heat_soak issue needs to be resolved. I haven't decided on my gauge package yet so I can't data log any of this at the moment.
The majority of the power loss and rich running condition was probably due to the altitude change. Without a gauge to measure IATs, you cannot objectively quantify the heatsoak issue.

Hopfully we can get some data on this, and perhaps a solution. Dynomike really didn't answer my questions regarding meth/fic, but I hope this just doesn't turn into a thread that came and died with no results. Ryu I am really happy you are looking into this. I wish Shad could chim in here as well. Have you called him?

Have you called him?
Yes, but admittedly I have not been persistent. I think it will require weeks of leaving messages. I just know he's a very busy person.

Honestly, the more I look into this the more a standalone solution makes sense. It would be the best bang for the buck with all things considered. If it wasn't for the smog issue i'd have at least gone with a F/IC already.

Back