• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Miata vs NSX

I currently own a 94, NSX, and all of this talk about modified cars is really starting to get to me. I have spent a lot of time over at a few shops, and in the end, I keep coming back to the fact that I dont have ANY skills whatsoever when it comes to working on cars.

I thought about making changes to my NSX, I/E/H maybe super charger, but it being my first time, and not really knowing what to expect, and the money to do these mods are as much as an almost new miata. I thought the best thing to do was start on a small and less expensive car. I was thinking about a 1999 miata. ($10,000 for 30K miles).

In doing some research, I see a lot of the guys in the Miata space are getting 200-250rwhp out of their cars with $3500 turbos. considering they are 2300 lbs, thats a whole lot of pep! Not to mention exhauses are like 300 bucks and sets of wheels cost less than one wheel for the NSX. And best of all.. if I blow up the engine, they say you can get replacements for less than $1000?!?

I rented one back in college in 1994, and I had a blast with it. Obviously not a rocket, but you can really explore the cars limits at relatively low speeds. I remember drifting the car around a 90 degree turn at about 30 mph and having so much fun, where my NSX would have been doing the same turn with no drama whatsoever. Maybe taking the same turn at 65 would have given me the same grin, but the margin for error widens also, as well as repair bills.

Im wondering if any of you have any expirience with them at all. I wanted to post this here becuase I know the information I have recieved here has been pretty unbiased, and being that most of us have the same ideas of what performance, quality and craftsmanship should be, I highly value your opinions.

thanks!

------------------

I am also partial to the Miata, and have been thinking about getting a cheap used one to use as a daily driver. Its fun to drive, cheap to fix, and I don't feel at all bad putting on tons of miles or beating the crap out of it.

It sounds like you have put more research into it than I have and if I get one I will probably be inclined to add a little pep to it too. Are there any decent miata forums where one might pick up some knowledge, or maybe even a conservatively modded mid 90s example?

Mark

Edit: Man my typing sucks

[This message has been edited by Markbert (edited 14 February 2003).]

I agree about the Miata. A classic sportscar. I had a 91 Miata and still consider it one of the most fun cars I have ever had. You are correct that you can explor the limits of the Miata's handling at really low speed. What a lot of people mistakenly do, IMHO, is to throw big wheels and super sticky tires which manages to ruin exactly what makes the Miata fun. As the saying goes, its more fun to drive a slow car fast, then a fast car slow. Oh, and in my 3 years of ownership, I had exactly one unexpescted trip to the dealer. After 2 and 1/2 years the power button for the radio began to fail. Other than that it was dead reliable. Good luck.

Last year I bought a 1990 Miata for the purpose of converting it into a SpecMiata race car. I paid $1,500 for the car, but to do the conversion would have cost over $25k to do it right. I drove the car for 8 months and had alot of fun with it. However, I felt very unsafe in it because it is sooooo small. On the highway I was terrified when an 18 wheeler came up next to me. If you are planning on using it for around town driving and carving up back roads it's a great car. Also, as you have noticed, there so many parts that are cheap and give you great bang for the buck.

If you get it, you most definitely have fun driving with the top down getting thumbs up from every other Miata owner.

If you get one, PLEASE install a roll cage immediately! I still cringe remembering my previous neighbors (husband and wife) who both got paralyzed from the neck down after a rollover in their Miata.

Originally posted by zoomnsx:
If you get one, PLEASE install a roll cage immediately! I still cringe remembering my previous neighbors (husband and wife) who both got paralyzed from the neck down after a rollover in their Miata.

Oh my God, that is so sad!!
frown.gif

Regards.

If you are really doing this project to learn about modifying cars, get a 92 - 95 Civic hatch. Drop in a dohc vtec motor and have at it. Your experience will be a LOT more relevant to your NSX and the car will just as cheap to mod.

I just helped build an all motor hatch with a B20/VTEC that makes 235 whp. It scoots. A turbo car will easily put 360 - 400 hp to the wheels.

[This message has been edited by David (edited 16 February 2003).]

Originally posted by zoomnsx:

Another option would to install a roll bar. If I were ever to go the econo convertible route again, I would be in favor of the MR2 or 2nd gen. Miatas. The first gen. Miata has too much chassis flex for my liking.

The Miata is truly a fun car to drive, as a 2nd car only! I guess that would make the NSX a 3rd car
wink.gif

You still probably want a hard top sedan or SUV as a daily driver.

My first car was Honda Prelude and I did I lot of work on it myself. I know for sure I can tear the car down to it's chassis. Still trying to put it back together, my father is pissed!!!! =) its been like 3-4 months i think he's over it

------------------
-Rich
ph_tac_ext_tl.jpg

2002 TRD Tacoma SR5 4x4 5-Speed

[This message has been edited by KulSecHskY (edited 19 February 2003).]

Originally posted by NSX_Dreamer:
The Miata is truly a fun car to drive, as a 2nd car only! I guess that would make the NSX a 3rd car
wink.gif

Its a sporty, fun car -- one that isn't too serious about "performance". I drive ours as often as I can (Blizzaks in the winter).

Bonus in city driving -- easy to park and maneuver. Only drawbacks are that trunk/storage space is limited, and large hulking SUVs sometimes don't see you -- reminds me of the NSX in that sense.

So a couple of weeks ago I picked up a 1995 Miata with 92k miles on it for $1500 (well under KBB). No accidents. No tears in the soft top. The rear window and door trim was oxidized. Rest of the car didn't show any age. All I did was spend $350 to have the front and rear bumpers repainted from rock chips and scuffs that accumulated over the 20 years of the life of the Miata.

Seats were in mint condition too.

It's good to have buddies who's pregnant wife make them do things in a hurry.

First kid he sold a AP2 Sky blue (not sure exact year) S2k in mint condition with 39k miles for $12k ( I gave him a little heat for not calling me)

The 2nd kid is about to come flying outta the oven and she told him that over the weekend the Miata had to go and he needed a sedan. I helped him shop for a 2012 TL so that he can keep the Mini Cooper.

What happen to the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky? They were supposed to be the Miata killers...

i'm really sorry to hear about that. I'd wondered about the roll potential--any observations about that? Low center of gravity?

Just depends. If you go sideways off the road, and the tires dig in to mud, it's going to flip.

Skip the weak kneed poser and get something with some balls-S2000.

That's what I would do. Modifying the NSX isn't cheap, I wouldn't supercharge it if money is a concern.
Modifying a S2000 should be cheap I would think would be more fun than a miata.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I want to like the S2k.... but compared to the Miata the S2k has less leg room and there is that funny beam indentation on the floor.

Used Miata parts are silly cheap.

I'm on the local Miata Facebook page and see things like working trannys for $150. working long block for $400~.

Last edited:
This has to take the cake for oldest thread bump!!

BTW - I own a SM and love, I mean absolutely love the car. I wouldn't drive any Miata on Texas highways. It is ideal for back country road spirited drives and eating Porsches/Corvettes on the track! :)

I've owned an S2000 and my sons had a first gen and a second gen Miata between them. Fun cars, all. The Miatas were more fun to drive than the S2000 (except for the S2000 engine which is a jewel) but the S2000 was (to me) more fun to own, better looking with better seats, and more practical...if cars of this type can be called practical. I could fit my gulf clubs in the trunk of the S. You'd be lucky to fit a woman's purse in the trunk of a 1990 Miata. I still think about picking up a Miata, though. Something in a 1.8L NB.

Back