• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Midnight_Raven's Build

I installed the dash today and started reassembling everything. I had to make some adjustment to the decorative stitching so it lined up based on the driver and passenger perspective. So far I think it looks good. It's not perfect but it's to be expected since this is my first attempt ever for something like this, so I'm happy with the end result.

IMG_20140128_122410_014 by xXMidnight_RavenXx, on Flickr

One thing that sucks is I really messed up the emergency brake handle material during the install of the dash (it made a bunch of small cuts in the leather). I think I need to order a new one to fix the mistake I made.

Additionaly I need to repair my center console air vent that crack during removal. Hopefully I can have the entire interior done by this weekend.

Last edited:
Well I got my bandwidth back so I can now update with more pics :).

I finished reinstalling everything in the car. Took a couple of pics to show better detail. Only thing that sucks is my vent cracked in two places when I was installing it. I was upset because I just spent two days repairing and painting the thing. It's a tight fit now with the new fabric which required a little more force that it would normally see during install. Either way I'll have to fix that later down the road or just buy a new vent piece. Either way here are the pics.

You can see an example of wrinkles that I couldn't get rid of but since it's kind of hidden behind the glove box I don't think it's that bad. Do you think a steamer would get these out?

I'm not done yet. Last thing I want to do is get seats and have the cushions be the same color as the door inserts. I want leather with grey alcantara inserts to keep the NSX Type-S/R theme going.

Last edited:
Hi,

i must salute you for all this excelent work you've done... really...
i'm amazed by your skill, specially being the 1st time for you..

a white, or light grey, thread on a very dark fabric is growing on me...
i always wanted black alcantara with red threads, but seeing yours make
me wonder ;)

Keep up the good work.

Nuno

Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words.

Nuno,

I think since your car is red, the red thread would work better for you. I did silver cause my car is silver. It could work as white or silver I guess. It just depends if you have anything else in the interior that will make it match.

Last edited:
I was bored today and wanted to do something with my car. I started it up to get the fluids flowing and the battery working a little. While doing this I thought why not let the car warm up and make the 7K rev I need for my comparison video. So I ended up doing that. Here's the updated comparison video now with a 7K+ rev for the GRF exhaust. Hope you guys enjoy. :)

I guess I'll also add up what's happening next. Since Dave is upgrading to his carbon ceramic brakes I've agreed to purchased his Stoptech BBK. I will probably pick them up and install them next month. Additionally a new development in my plan. Since I updated the majority of the interior, my oem seats are the last thing that kind of look out of place (since they are worn and all leather), so I've decided to just go ahead and get the seats to complete my interior now instead of later. I've arranged to have Downforce make me a custom replica Type-R seat.

The seat will be Type-S style with Leather bolsters, chic grey alcantara cushions to match my door inserts, and hopefully use the same Nickel Silver threading to match the rest of my interior. I probably won't see those until sometime in late April or May but at least I know by then the snow will be gone and I'll be able to enjoy my car with all of it's updates. I've never sat in real Type-R or replica Type-R seats but it seems like everyone who's tried either of these have said they are very comfortable and I'm sized 32 waist so I think I should fit fine in them.

Last edited:
Problem came up that coincidentally can help with my weight reduction plan. My ABS modulator I think has finally stopped functioning properly. I was contemplating just taking the unit apart and rebuilding it but considering there is a better, lighter, and more modern ABS modulator I think fixing the old one is not a great idea. I ordered that a couple of days ago but it sounds like I might have to wait a couple of months until I even receive the kit which is a bummer.

In regards to my weight loss tracking it seems since I'm doing these 3 upgrades, my NSX should weigh about 2,750lbs with a full tank of gas after I'm done. That is assuming 30lbs removed for the Type-R rep seats, 15lbs removed for the abs modulator upgrade, and about 8lbs removed for the Stoptech BBK system upgrade. Looking further ahead the path forward to reduce even more weight is going to be tough if I want to be lighter than NA1 Type-R. I'll have to figure out how to remove about 50lbs more to be under 2700lbs.

Last edited:
Anthony, your work is impressive as always. The interior looks amazing!

Looking forward to your new improvements, I'm very much so envious of your weight reductions.

My parts are slowly arriving :D. Last new thing left is the DF Type-S seats which I'm told should be back from the upholster by Monday the latest and I'll probably see it a week from that date. Hoping they get them today or tomorrow so I can have them by next weekend.

One thing to ask you guys did any of you with the SOS rails have issue torquing the button head screws? (These are the bolts that hold the front and rear piece to the rails) Their install process direct you to torque the bolts to 22Ft-lbs but I start stripping the head before i get to the torque. I ended up just tightening them until I felt like it was going to start stripping... Maybe it would be a good idea to replace with a better bolt.

Last edited:
Sounds like SOS might have a problem there, I would contact them and let them know. In the meantime I would get something from ARP.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you weigh those Anthony?

I just weighed one rail set and got about 13.8lbs after taking multiple readings. They seem pretty heavy but I'm guessing they were designed to be very robust for safety reasons which I'm okay with. I'm thinking you could save some more weight by skeletalizing the front and rear pieces of the rail since it seems their main purpose besides mounting to the floor is to add rigidity to the side rails. Might do that if I have time next week if not I'll just leave it as is.

Anthony is not just very talented but also a really nice guy. One of those people you want to have as a friend. We met before he had an NSX and he couldn't really afford one back then but finally he bought this thing and he's taken it from rough shape to a really well done car. He keeps all his mods performance oriented. No hokey shit, no half ass jobs, he does it right.

I just installed a pair of I's Impact carbon fiber B pillars today since I was bored and wanted to see how they would come out. I think they are ok quality. Very wavy looking. Driver side is worse than passenger side. I think that when I paint my roof, I'll ask them to smooth it out with primer and paint it black as well so it doesn't look weird. If with paint and and primer the weight is increase to near oem weight, I'll just put my oem pillars back on. On the bright side, they definitely remove at least 5 lbs of weight.

Still waiting for my DF seats. The upholsterer was suppose to be done this week but seems like they are behind schedule. I probably won't see them until the week of May 4th.

Thanks for the kind words Dave :)

Anthony primer and paint will add ounces, not pounds.... You will still be way ahead.

It's been a busy month for me. Been working on Turbo2Go and my NSX for the past month on a bunch of things. Here's what I've got done on my car this month.

Decided to take off the carbon B-pillars about two weeks ago to get the fit to be better. All the posts broke when I removed them so I ended up using epoxy to re-seat only 2 of the 7 posts on each pillar. I also cleaned out the internal B pillars and adhered the gasket that comes with the stock pillars onto the carbon fiber piece. Here is how it fits now much better than before. Only issue is with the passenger B pillars has a bit of a curve so it sticks out about 1/4" more than the other near the door handle area. I may pull that one off and stick that spot down with some 3M dual sided molding tape. Also I weighed the difference and I determined it was about 4lbs removed.

Excuse me for the pollen lol.

Last picture of how it looks under direct sunlight. It won't be like this for long I'm planning on painting the roof next month finally. It's kind of cool but I rather have the stock look vs the bare carbon fiber look since I don't have any other carbon fiber piece on the car.

Next up was the 2000+ ABS modulator upgrade. Purchased it about a month and a half ago and was waiting to do that with the BBK I was going to buy from Turbo2Go but as some of you know he's currently having fitment issues with his carbon ceramics brakes so I went ahead and did the ABS upgrade first to get ABS and TCS functioning again.

After about 2 sears runs and maybe 5 hours of actual work here is where it sat. ABS modulator removed!

Brackets and blower removed for the install.

Old modulator and turkey baster lol.

Two new front lines in.

New ABS harness routed and mounted.

New ABS modulator, protective brace, windshield washer fluide container, and cruise control module removed. Total weight removed was 20 lbs. 15lbs for ABS modulators/accumulator/control module and 5 lbs for cruise control device and control module from glove box area.

Everything back in at 3:30AM on a Saturday morning of May 24th. I was determined to finish this project before I went to bed lol. I did the brake bleeding process today and brakes feel good and ABS is functioning properly. I have to say the car definitely slows down better than before. Less tire squeal when I slam the brakes.

Last upgrade I did was install NSX-R sway bar in the front this Sunday May 25. That increased weight by 3 lbs.

Still waiting for my Downforce seats which sucks cause they are a month late now... Hopefully Dave new wheels and fenders get done in about 2 weeks so I can upgrade to the Stoptech BBK in about 3 week time frame. I guess until then I'm just waiting now. So as of now my NSX should have a curb weight of 2779lbs wet. With the seats that should bring my curb weight down to just under 2750lbs wet.

Oh yes I almost forgot I also bought myself a new racing helmet. First helmet I bought and customized it a little with the 2nd Honda vinyl I purchased when I did my tail light center piece. Additionally I also ordered new interior panel clips and engine mount but the engine mount is on back order at the moment so I have to wait until Honda ships that out.

Last edited:
I shared this in the weight reduction thread but decided I'll put up in my build since it's more specific to my car than anything else lol.

I revised my weight reduction plan to see if I really was going to hit 2750lbs. I modified my stages and if I get everything I have planned to purchase for stage 2, I should have a curb weight of 2725lbs +/-10lbs wet curb weight. I should have all this stuff sometime this month. We'll see if DF can deliver.

Also a little bit of maintenance work coming up for tomorrow and Friday. I finally ordered a new motor mount to replace the one I pictured in page 1 of my build. It was on backorder for a month but should arrive tomorrow. In regards to maintenance all that is left is the transmission everything else has been replaced or fixed.

Update: I got the motor mount out in an hour.
Update2: Motor mount was installed in about 2 hours. I think someone damaged some threads previously requiring me to tap the hole and using a longer bolt. Didn't get to torque it in fear of stripping all the threads. Just snugged it up. Luckily the other two were okay so I was able to torque those.

New development purchasing NSX-R headliner A+B Pillars, sunvisor, dome light from AdvancePAPs. I'm guessing I'll get it some time in July. Now I won't have any more mismatched grey materials in my interior. Should look cleaner. I'll also weight the difference I'm assuming the NSX-R used lighter material for headliner so I wonder how much is the difference in weight.

Last edited:
Back