• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mod OEM console or get SOS console?

So I want to get DDIN with the Pioneer X930BT. The question is, should I modify my OEM console or get an SOS one and leave my OEM one unmolested.

I know the OEM costs a lot, but I can never see removing the DDIN even if I sold it as I think that is a nice feature to have.

I also just put in the SOS gauge plate, so I am not sure how you would mount gauges in with the SOS console.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I would say mod the oem one, unless you plan on going back to the oem radio at some point, which I highly doubt will happen.

The SOS Console will be much cleaner. I did the mod on my OEM console when I installed my X920BT, and ended up getting an aftermarket console to clean up the space.

Last edited:
I vote SOS. It's a lot easier to cut a hole for the gauges than it would be to cut a dd hole and refinish the oem one (which you could always sell to recoup some money on the SOS one)...

I modified my OEM console. But if SOS had the option at the time I would have gone that route; so it could easily be removed down the road, if I ever decide to sell my car.
securedownload.jpg

I modified mine as well cause SOS was out of stock at the time

If you decide that you will be modifying the oem get a spare, keep yours untouched in case if you want to go back to stock.

We've done this both ways (when we did not have consoles available, we had to modify the stock consoles).

Modifying the stock console is not a DIY job unless you have a decent amount of plastic fabrication experience. Because the factory console has the unique shape around the stereo, it cannot simply be "cut out" to accommodate the double DIN shape. In addition, because the surface finish is a metallic foil that is applied by heat transfer, this foil must be ground and sanded off first to prevent the edges between this foil and the new bonded in piece of plastic from separating after painting.

Once the metallic foil is removed, you then need to grind out the entire stereo section to the edge of the console. Next, bond in a compatible flat plastic stock. You must use a bonding agent to fuse the plastic together. Once bonded, you would then cut out the plastic stock for the stereo unit. Finally prep (making sure all of the foil has been removed) and paint.

This is a much more labor intensive process than simply cutting our composite console. I would expect to pay an installer at least 5-6 hours to do this work + the cost of prep & painting. The usual labor rate for a good fabricator is around $25-50/hr. Doing the math, and considering you get to keep the factory console at the end of the day (which is becoming an important issue to the resale of these cars as they become rarer) - I think the composite console is a good choice. For more info, check out this:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ.../NSX/ScienceofSpeed/composite_center_console/

I would consider using the factory console however if you were instead planning on using a single DIN, and you wanted to keep the factory ash tray. Most buyers in my experience will want the factory stereo and console however, so there is still the factor of permanently modifying the factory console.

Cheers,
-- Chris

hi chris

could you kindly share any pictures of the console in an actual nsx with a double din application?

re the double din application + sos console is there an option to purchase the console with the double din hole cut by sos (vs doing it myself)?

i hope i am not understanding, as on the SOS website i only see the console with the centre hole all filled in.

thank you.

Last edited:
Wow, I haven't seen an EQ in a car in years!

Don't most DD units have this feature built in?

I would go SOS if your not doing a DIY job. I did mine and removed all the foil it was time consuming but worth it. Cut the hole with a fine tooth blade and jig saw. Filled with 2 part expoxy sanded primed and painted.

Painted it with some sandable primer to fill any nicks/ inconsistencies. Last coat if primer I dident sand to give it an OEM like texture. I then painted it with a rattle can of factory Honda solaris silver. I'm happy with the results and have since done the other interior pieces with fantastic results.

Don't most DD units have this feature built in?

I would go SOS if your not doing a DIY job. I did mine and removed all the foil it was time consuming but worth it. Cut the hole with a fine tooth blade and jig saw. Filled with 2 part expoxy sanded primed and painted.

Painted it with some sandable primer to fill any nicks/ inconsistencies. Last coat if primer I dident sand to give it an OEM like texture. I then painted it with a rattle can of factory Honda solaris silver. I'm happy with the results and have since done the other interior pieces with fantastic results.
I meant the separate EQ like how he has it.

Why would you even have to ask? Get the SOS console, fit it to the head unit, and keep the OE version in storage in case you want to return it to stock one day.

This is an OEM piece we modified for a local owner.

Not everyone wants to be the same as everyone else and for those who demand the best, custom is the only way to go.

Note how we angled the unit in a reverse fashion to eliminate glare and added a few extra gadgets.

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3886.jpg

I agree with s4play, a custom shop can give you a better overall finish. Just make sure you choose a reputable shop and see samples of their work. Atleast make sure they center the radio properly...

Last edited:
I agree that angling the head unit is a good idea to prevent the glare (I can't see my unit during the day) - your solution makes the buttons at the bottom of the unit near impossible to press...

I agree that angling the head unit is a good idea to prevent the glare (I can't see my unit during the day) - your solution makes the buttons at the bottom of the unit near impossible to press...

Not true, the unit has an auto tilt function so you can move it at any time. You can also program what is the default angle for daily driving :)

Only Kenwood has thought of this feature so far, not Alpine, not Pioneer sadly :(

rick

Rick, are you willing to make that center console for others? Or should I just ask a shop you mimic your design?

I would love to help but unfortunately for this type of work, you REALLY need the car here in front of you. It's nearly impossible for someone to build what you need by guessing on the fitment.

Any installer who says he can is lying unless he just so happens to have the exact same parts sitting in front of him. You really need the car there as every car has variations in fitment.

rick

Back