• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MR2 Turbo

Hey guys!
Any of you ever driven a 94-96 MR2 Turbo before? Fun car? Since you all are mid-engine wizzards I was wondering if you liked your experience with the MR2. Is it docile? Quick?

Well I have an older MR2 so maybe I can provide some insight.

The MR2 Turbo was available in the United States from 1991 to 1995. '95 models are quite rare (for a non-supercar), with only about 380 imported to the US that year. They are still commanding higher prices ($25000 for a nice low miles example) than earlier years.

With a homemade manual boost controller they will run low-mid 14s in the quarter mile. Not quite NSX territory but these things are a bargain in comparison. Handling is quite good on 93-95 models - very stable. Earlier 91-92 models had more tail-happy suspension characteristics. Some people prefer the early suspension, most seem to prefer the later changes.

I've only had a brief drive in a 93 MR2 Turbo and a 94 NSX (5 minutes each), so I can't really give you a comparison in terms of driving feel and character at the limit. The MR2 Turbo is a pretty luxurious car, though, in many cases. It's quiet on the freeway, smooth, and all that good stuff. A marked contrast to the spartan, simple, noisy MKI MR2. I felt the power steering in the MR2 Turbo to be too isolating, however this could just be the fact that I'm used to some of the most direct steering on the planet. That was probably my biggest gripe with the MR2 Turbo.

You can learn just about everything you ever wanted to know about the MR2 by visiting www.mr2.com .

As an owner of a '91 MR2 T, I can tell you that it is a wonderful car. The early models are for people who DRIVE. The later ones are for those who panic in sticky situations. I can make the car push, neutral, or hang the rear out. I've had it more 4 wheel drifts than I can remember.

It is an easy car to push the horsepower up on, too. Without breaking into the engine at all, and a few $1000, it can easily hit 350hp.

For about $10k, you can take any year turbo car, boost it to 350hp, and modify the suspension to make it handle even better and kick butt on just about anything out there, all for SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than other sports cars.

There is no other car out there that you get so much for so little, bar none!

That is my 2 cents worth.
smile.gif

16 months might be a new record for the longest time a thread has remained dormant, then revived.

Somebody's been digging deep in the archives...
wink.gif

i had a 91 mr2 turbo brand new. i remember racing my friends brand new 90 vette convertible and beating him. that was a blast.turned 14.40's @ 94mph bone stock. with exhaust,fcd(fuel cut defencer) and a air filter ran 13.60 @ 103. then i blew it up by trying to run too much boost. oooh well. ill always have a sweet spot for that car.way too much fun.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
16 months might be a new record for the longest time a thread has remained dormant, then revived.

Somebody's been digging deep in the archives...
wink.gif

Hmmm... Brand new member (1st post), User Name "MR2Bob", wonder if he used the search function for "MR2". If so he has a leg up on many users of this forum (unfortunately including me sometimes)
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 02 April 2002).]

I bought a '93 MR2 Turbo in 1999 because I couldn't afford an NSX at the time. It was all red when I got it. I had a body shop lower the car and "black in" the canopy. I then put 16"/17" wheels on it and had a mini NSX for about 1/2 the money. I loved that car!! Then I made a big mistake - I test drove a '92 NSX. The MR2 went up for sale the next day. Everything I loved about the MR2 (mid engined, fast, handled very well, rare, a looker) the NSX did better. I ended up paying twice the amount of the '93 MR2 for a '91 NSX (with 107,000 miles!) and don't regret a penny of it. I sold the MR2 to my brother so I still get to drive it from time to time and its still great fun - its just not the NSX.
cool.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Back