• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MTF Fluid

redline sucks in the nsx. Mine made the car feel like crap.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129099&highlight=syncromesh&page=2

mtf_qt_900.jpg

Been using the Redline MTL since 1997. Extremely happy with it. (JDM gears. 4.55 R&P)

Last edited:
I switched over to Amsoiil MTF about 10k miles ago too. Runs fine, but I didnt get the "day and night" difference from my previous Honda MTF.

Not so much difference in shifting between the Honda MTF vs. Amsoil Synchromesh.

Amsoil vs. Redline - alot of difference.

Not so much difference in shifting between the Honda MTF vs. Amsoil Synchromesh.

Amsoil vs. Redline - alot of difference.

Been using the Redline MTL since 1997. Extremely happy with it. (JDM gears. 4.55 R&P)

I've tried Redline MTL, Honda MTF, and synthetic motor oil in the transmission of my NSX, and noticed absolutely no difference in ease of shifting (or in anything else). Now I stick with the Honda MTF.

I've tried Redline MTL, Honda MTF, and synthetic motor oil in the transmission of my NSX, and noticed absolutely no difference in ease of shifting (or in anything else). Now I stick with the Honda MTF.

The reason I put the Redline MTL in my tranny in the first place was that the manufacturer of the 4:55 ring and pinion (Comptech) REQUIRED (not "suggested") it.... and here we are 14 years later and the MTL continues to work well.

Last edited:
The reason I put the Redline MTL in my tranny in the first place was that the manufacturer of the 4:55 ring and pinion (Comptech) REQUIRED (not "suggested") it.... and here we are 14 years later and the MTL continues to work well.

Same here minus a couple years. I wonder if some fluids are better at reducing wear and others that are better for shifting feel. I'm under the impression that products like the friction modified are intended to make a worn transmission feel better, not necessarily reduce the wear that leads to feel issues. I also wonder if CT recommended Redline (required for warranty of R&P) because it really is better for longevity...or just because of their sponsorship. I know the MTF from back in the day wasn't very good (or previous owners had no clue how to shift) as the synchros were not in the best shape before they were replaced during the gear/R&P upgrade.

Last edited:
Amsoil says on their website regarding this fluid:

Is this an issue in our application?

The 91-94 NSX uses a wet clutch type limited slip differential. The diff is lubricated by the MTF circulating through the transmission. If Amsoil is saying not to use it in this application on the box, then I would not use it. It might lead to premature wear of the clutch pack, or other differential components. I use Honda white cap in my NSX and it shifts like butta. :D Of course the LarryB rebuild may have something to do with that too... ;)

The 91-94 NSX uses a wet clutch type limited slip differential. The diff is lubricated by the MTF circulating through the transmission. If Amsoil is saying not to use it in this application on the box, then I would not use it. It might lead to premature wear of the clutch pack, or other differential components. I use Honda white cap in my NSX and it shifts like butta. :D Of course the LarryB rebuild may have something to do with that too... ;)

Perhaps this is why Amsoil suggests using their Signature Series 0W-30 engine oil in the tranny.

It probably dosn't have the proper friction modifiers intended for clutch plates that constantly slip against eachother.

Back