• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MUGEN pedals. Real vs Fake. Have a look

Jay-Dee-Mmm => rice....this is left-over rice.....not that there's anything wrong with that....just a reflection of the change of the demographics of recent owners....If it makes you go fast?...knock yourself out FTW.

This isn't aimed specifically at you, Tim, I just want to speak a little bit about my thoughts concerning JDM tuning, and your comment gives me a good platform to start. Also, for those reading this, please know that these are just my personal opinions, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, just wanting to shed some light on my personal mindset about the whole "JDM tuning" thing using my experiences with Japan and "the scene".

JDM tuning isn't for everybody, but it also shouldn't be knocked on if you haven't experienced actual JDM tuning firsthand, or dealt with the companies that produce high end JDM products. I'm talking about true Japanese tuning companies like Sorcery, GT-One, ASM, Amuse, and other companies like that.

ASM Workshop
11861545454_4acb7aa617_b.jpg

I wasn't always into JDM, but the more time I spent with Japan, its people, and their way of life, the more I connected with the Japanese way of thinking and tuning cars.

ASM
11861539764_5d0a397c85_b.jpg

In my opinion, to really understand true JDM tuning, you have to look at the people who are creating these parts, because this is the root of it all. If you spend time with Japanese people, a common thread that will be apparent is, if you're going to do it, do it the best you can, and that's something that is very widespread throughout the country, and is taught to children from when they are born. It's a countrywide ethos, if you will. In Japan, you will have the best McDonalds hamburger you'll ever have, and it'll look like the picture (well not totally, but way more than the USDM counterpart). One of the major Japanese mentalities is DO YOUR BEST! And if you look around Japan, you will see this is true.

Another thing that is apparent in the Japanese culture is, details and quality matter tremendously. I've held many amazing pieces of Japanese craftsmanship in my hands, from swords, to titanium exhausts, to dry carbon hoods, and every single time, I'm taken aback by how incredibly high quality and detailed each piece is. You can tell that the people making these products really take pride in their work. That being said, it really needs to be experienced firsthand to truly appreciate this level of craftsmanship.

One of the major drawbacks of Made in Japan parts is how expensive their parts can be. But if you understand the Japanese mentality of uncompromising quality, and understand that some of these parts are handmade by masters of their craft, in my opinion, the price for some of these items is justified, and in ways can be seen as works of art.

HKS Titanium Exhaust, R35
11861392963_e94fe566d5_o.jpg

11861102635_029a86e2b9_o.jpg

Top Secret Ti Intercooler Piping, R35
11861538694_ffb0c8ed7b_o.jpg

Amuse Ti Header, S2000
11861103115_d48e748cd4_o.jpg

Realize now, this is the same way of thinking and way of life of the people that made our beloved NSX. All of us can relate to how excellent this car is, how high quality it is, and how many little details are so nice about the NSX. Moreover, our cars were handmade by Japanese people, whose countrywide love for perfection and quality is ingrained into their way of life. I think everyone can agree that the NSX being handmade in Japan is one of the reasons why we still have 20+ year old cars driving around flawlessly with very little maintenance. It'd be interesting to see the longevity of a Made in Mexico NSX.

11862427004_220999ff1e_b.jpg

To me, the NSX is one of the best cars to ever come out of Japan, and I think that's something we can all agree on. For me personally, since the NSX is my favorite car of all time, and one of the best cars in the world, I want to honor it with very high quality modifications using many parts from the country it originated from: Japan.

This brings me to the topic of fake/replica products.

I will personally never put a fake/replica product on my car because I think not only is it doing injustice to the car, but also it's doing a severe injustice to the original manufacturers of aftermarket products, specifically Japan, because most fake products are JDM knockoffs. I am huge on supporting the original manufacturer of a product because they are the ones that took the time to R&D a product, have it developed, and distribute it. A knockoff company only has to buy one of those products, make a mold or jig of it, send it to China and start copying, with no innovation, time or risk involved, and very little money. Now that I produce my own products, I am even more staunch in my standing towards knockoff products because I fully understand what it's like to bring a product from conception to market. It's a lot of work, and takes a lot of money and time, and in a lot of ways it's very much akin to putting your heart and soul into something.

Knockoffs absolutely stifle innovation, and are bad for the industry, whether you think so or not. I have personally been at a meeting with Amuse where they said that they aren't going to produce a certain aero kit for the 370z because they knew it was going to be knocked off immediately. It is sad to me that we live in a time where knockoff products have taken a foothold in the industry and are generally accepted as being ok to have. If knockoffs continue to grow and be accepted, eventually there will be nothing to knock off because all of the legit manufacturers will have closed.

For me personally, I would rather wait longer and save my money for the real thing, than have the look for the cheapest price right now. It took me 13 years to get my Prelude to what it is today, and I can proudly say it is now considered to be one of the best Preludes ever built, and I can also proudly say that it has ZERO knockoff products on it. While the NSX has multitudes higher competition, I hope that by the time I am done with it, my NSX will be seen in a similar light. You see, for me, my cars are an extension of myself, and I always try to live with certain morals which include quality, details, and integrity, and I'd like to think those things are reflected with my car builds.

6845429981_b1124bbf6e_b.jpg

Some might see the recent demographics of NSX owners being kids making bad financial decisions, and sure, in some cases this is true. But as time moves forward, I am also seeing a shift of lifelong JDM enthusiasts getting into the NSX, and I am excited to see what those owners bring to the table.

Last edited:
Well said Colin, well said... at the end of the day, it is true. Once all the Big Boys go out of business because all the fakes have eaten up market share, who will they knock off?

It will look like a big bowl of ebay parts.

It does go deeper... the ethos of the people in the US is much different than Japan. They dont teach people here to work hard and get what comes from the efforts.
Instead our govt loves to support the lazy and stupid people of our country... education is weak which leads to more people with low standards
yadda, yadda, yadda... will go any further but thanks for sharing.

Love your Prelude for sure!

It'd be interesting to see the longevity of a Made in Mexico NSX.

You see, for me, my cars are an extension of myself, and I always try to live with certain morals which include quality, details, and integrity, and I'd like to think those things are reflected with my car builds.

I take quite an offense to your Mexico comment, sir lol..

But in all seriousness, you basically put your essay in a nutshell with that line that I quoted, and I have to agree 100%. The NSX begs for quality parts, leave the ebay stuff in stock for the teenagers with Honda civics that are barely beginning to experiment with car modification.

fake it until you makin it lol...

i been to japan I agree with Collin. I have the real Mugen pedals and I wouldn't have it any other way ... sighs

Its sad we are even discussing this. Mugen(or real JDM brands) is not rice. Most of them are race proven. talking about wanna be parts/knock-offs and putting it on a flagship/engineered car such as this is really......:frown: . Like i said, for me, if it makes the car faster, go for it. I admire people who recognize AND able to afford real JDM parts such as the seats. a NSX rice part would be the engine block damper...that is hodad.

I am certain when we have passion for cars and whatever we do, its the best we can/afford...etc. Hella Flush, Drifting, drag, rice is not for me but its a huge movement for less expensive cars that are made of steel.

>For me personally, I would rather wait longer and save my money for the real thing, than have the look for the cheapest price right now.
Bingo! Hey, Nothing wrong buying a 2 dollar Rolex watch:biggrin:, when I do that, I would not announce it or show it.
Those who can afford Toda/ProCar parts, I am sure there are plenty, would not bother to tell the world, instead, we are discussing knock offs here.
I say, You want Rota, you go Rota.

Last edited:
I think you are missing the point. We are talking about PEDALS. This is not a "race prove part" from MUGEN. I think most everyone agrees that the knock offs that have flooded the market have done nothing but damage to our beloved hoby, but the irony is that this discussion started because of 1) knock off PEDALs being compared to 2) authentic over priced MUGEN PEDALS.

To me, neither mean shit. They are both pointless pieces of bling that have little to no impact on the performance of the vehicle. You want the "real JDM"? Then shut up and buy Honda Type-R pedals with arms attached. Even the AutoVation pedals have better heel toe design than those garbage MUGEN do.

And I disagree - not everything out of Japan is held to the highest quality. I have real expensive, real rare GT-One headlights. Guess what? They are shit! Absolute shit. Most of the JDM body kits that I have purchased? Shit again! But DownForce is right here in the US of A and their stuff is pretty damn spot on. I will trade my JDM as fuck BackYard Special Type-R hood with anyone willing to give me their DownForce hood, and right now. Procar will work too, thank you, and they aren't JDM either, are they?

I get the JDM bit and I like the obsession to find and install rare parts, but I really wish we could cut the bullshit lies about Japan being superior. It all depends on what you are comparing to what. Just leave the replica garbage on eBay for tweener wanna be's; nobody likes that crap.

what about JDM wives?:smile:

I'd rather have the knockoffs.

With bolt ons?.....lol

- - - Updated - - -

Another scenario:

"Hey guys check out my 10HP (to the crank mod)."

"congrates, u started to modify your NSX.."

Someone like me with serious mods rolls up:

"WTF is this? a Weapon-R plugs made from unobtanium?!??!"

Did you sell your car and buy a seriously modded one?:rolleyes:

Back