• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Cabin Technology Refresh Project (picture intensive!)

I just finished installing the WiFi backup camera routed to my Android phone. I use a car dock and have all my apps run from it. Took less than 45 minutes and it powers up quick. I have it powered up thru the radio antenna so the lag is minimal. It can stay on all the time if I choose, take pictures or run video. Very cool little piece of hardware and app. Thanks for the tip.

Would it be possible to listen to music while the navigation is ON?
Has anyone try?

If this question is being asked of me, the answer is yes. I usually have Waze, Navigation and Pandora all going at the same time. And now I can click on my backup camera too, which also can take still pictures and video at any time.

If this question is being asked of me, the answer is yes. I usually have Waze, Navigation and Pandora all going at the same time. And now I can click on my backup camera too, which also can take still pictures and video at any time.

Can you pm your setup as far as apps goes?
If root is needed..etc..

****UPDATE - Now with WiFi Backup Camera!****

For power, did you tap into the plate illumination. Hmm... maybe not, I don't think that lamp is lit full time... Where are you getting power from?

Did you tuck the transmitter inside the bumper cover, or attach to the valence somehow?

- - - Updated - - -

I just finished installing the WiFi backup camera routed to my Android phone. I use a car dock and have all my apps run from it. Took less than 45 minutes and it powers up quick. I have it powered up thru the radio antenna so the lag is minimal. It can stay on all the time if I choose, take pictures or run video. Very cool little piece of hardware and app. Thanks for the tip.

It appears that your phone/tablet must join the wireless network created by the transmitter? So unless it's on all the time, it seems like there would be a significant delay while your phone connects. What is your experience?

I could have it connected all the time but I like having my tablet connect with my home WiFi when I'm in my garage. Guess I could just manually turn off the camera wifi when I want to use the garage wifi... or just use a WiFi prioritizer app!

Last edited:
For power, did you tap into the plate illumination. Hmm... maybe not, I don't think that lamp is lit full time... Where are you getting power from?

Did you tuck the transmitter inside the bumper cover, or attach to the valence somehow?

- - - Updated - - -

It appears that your phone/tablet must join the wireless network created by the transmitter? So unless it's on all the time, it seems like there would be a significant delay while your phone connects. What is your experience?

I could have it connected all the time but I like having my tablet connect with my home WiFi when I'm in my garage. Guess I could just manually turn off the camera wifi when I want to use the garage wifi...

I mounted the transmitter on the inside rear wall of the trunk, near the latch and behind the carpet. There is a conveniently placed rubber fee-thru grommet in the vicinity to get the wire from the camera into the trunk. I tapped into the power antenna connector in the trunk for juice. I spliced into the lead that is energized only when the radio is on so I don't have a live wifi hotspot draining my battery. After the radio is turned on, it's just a few seconds before live video is displayed on the N7.

Last edited:
Why not use the reverse lights then? You said in your post you tried that but there was a 5 second delay - how is the power antenna connector any different?

Never mind, I think tapping the power antenna is ideal for me anyway. The radio is *always* on when the car is on, so the camera will always be on when the car is on, which is what I want.

Last edited:
The camera stays active as long as the radio is on so the delay only happens once, when the radio is initially turned on. I was lazy and didn't want to run a power wire thru the engine bay and to the accessory block but no reason you couldn't. Yes, I've played with spying on the car behind me while driving, but like you said, that's for passengers only :smile:

Bring this back. For those that used a gen 2 Nexus 7. Did you hack it up to fit a usb or was there enough room to plug a 90 degree cable?

You can not fit a 90 degree micro-usb adapter on the Nexus 7 2nd GEN. Nothing will fit. I've even tried to rip apart existing 90 degree connectors with no luck. I had to hack the back of the cover up and directly solder to the PCB to get power connected. The same goes for audio out.

Hind sight 20-20, I would have soldered all wires to the PCB to get access to data+power through USB. I have to remove the Nexus 7 from the housing to get access to the micro USB connector. On the verge of upgrading to marshmallow.

Sounds like more work than I'd like. I already have a gen 1 Nexus 7 but I wanted the better performing gen 2. Guess I'll use the gen 1. Do you think a 90 degree usb would fit with the gen 1?

You can not fit a 90 degree micro-usb adapter on the Nexus 7 2nd GEN. Nothing will fit. I've even tried to rip apart existing 90 degree connectors with no luck. I had to hack the back of the cover up and directly solder to the PCB to get power connected. The same goes for audio out.

Hind sight 20-20, I would have soldered all wires to the PCB to get access to data+power through USB. I have to remove the Nexus 7 from the housing to get access to the micro USB connector. On the verge of upgrading to marshmallow.

Rusted_nailz, you are aware the 2nd Gen N7 charges wirelessly correct? I actually just found this tidbit of information out from 2NDWIFE's thread detailing his installation. I have recently purchased a 2nd Gen N7 and am awaiting the arrival of my NavPod from SOS. The route I am going to go is wireless charging with cigarette lighter connection so I don't have to connect to the fuse box. And from what 2NDWIFE as well as others have said, its a very tight fit. You have to dremel out some of the interior of the NavPod. I originally had the Gen 1 and a NavPod previously but ditched it. After seeing the ease of installation, I can't wait to get it all setup. I'll create a thread when I do so.

Actually, I didn't know that the gen 2 was wireless. That's good to know. Basically, just make sure it stays on the back of the tablet and you're good to go. Hmmm might have to look into buying one now.

Rusted_nailz, you are aware the 2nd Gen N7 charges wirelessly correct? I actually just found this tidbit of information out from 2NDWIFE's thread detailing his installation. I have recently purchased a 2nd Gen N7 and am awaiting the arrival of my NavPod from SOS. The route I am going to go is wireless charging with cigarette lighter connection so I don't have to connect to the fuse box. And from what 2NDWIFE as well as others have said, its a very tight fit. You have to dremel out some of the interior of the NavPod. I originally had the Gen 1 and a NavPod previously but ditched it. After seeing the ease of installation, I can't wait to get it all setup. I'll create a thread when I do so.

Kudos to clean_green for posting a great detailed thread which drove me to install my own!

I don't mean to hijack but thought this may be useful to some considering using a 2nd Gen N7:

Wireless pad came from my Samsung Galaxy S6. I secured it on with double sided tape on 4 edges. Lower part of the bezel, I secured a plastic bar with velcro to provide added firmness when pressing on the tablet. As Spa2KJT said, you will need to trim the inside edges of the bezel - it does not affect the structural component. Other than that, I simply ran the USB cable behind the radio and thru the ashtray. I have the option to keep the bottom door open or closed. Hope that helps those interested.

Sorry for the noob question, but does the oem navi pod require drilling to install or is it fully reversible?
You can drill the dash or you can use mounting bracket. Bracket needs to be trimmed if you want to use factory plugs/covers to hide the screws.

Do you have your wireless charger wired to be turned on when ignition is on or is it from a constant 12 volt source? I bought a hard wire usb charger since I don't have a cigarette assembly and wondering if I should wire it to a constant or not. That way the tablet will always stay charged.

Kudos to clean_green for posting a great detailed thread which drove me to install my own!

I don't mean to hijack but thought this may be useful to some considering using a 2nd Gen N7:

Wireless pad came from my Samsung Galaxy S6. I secured it on with double sided tape on 4 edges. Lower part of the bezel, I secured a plastic bar with velcro to provide added firmness when pressing on the tablet. As Spa2KJT said, you will need to trim the inside edges of the bezel - it does not affect the structural component. Other than that, I simply ran the USB cable behind the radio and thru the ashtray. I have the option to keep the bottom door open or closed. Hope that helps those interested.

OK, so I decided to tackle this project today. Why? I honestly believe Wade (clean_green) has done all of us a tremendous service by providing a template for bringing our cars somewhat into the 20th century in terms of ICE and a navigation option. I'd also like to thank 2NDW1FE (Fernando) for the support provided today via text message and the vote of confidence as I performed the install. Enough chit chat, onto the pics..

What my dining room table looked like at the start:

Making progress:

More progress:

Console ripped apart:

Hey, it fits!!

Yup, works good even in traffic…

Again, thank you all. For power for my install, I didn't splice into the fuse box. I simply taped the wireless charging pad to the back of the Nexus. I routed the USB cable to the cigarette lighter so it was 100% reversible if I decided to remove it in the future. For fitting, I did have to dremel some of the side of the NavPod so it could accommodate the larger Gen2 Nexus 7. Overall, I am happy so far, just have to order my AUX cable to route the sound from the tablet through my GROM. Also, I need to play with Tasker and Keepscreen to fine tune everything. Once done, I will be 100% satisfied. Thank you all for your guidance and NSXPrime ROCKS!

Overall, I am happy so far, just have to order my AUX cable to route the sound from the tablet through my GROM. Also, I need to play with Tasker and Keepscreen to fine tune everything. Once done, I will be 100% satisfied. Thank you all for your guidance and NSXPrime ROCKS!

Looks great. No luck using Bluetooth to connect to GROM?

Looks great. No luck using Bluetooth to connect to GROM?

Solidol, I just wanted to get everything installed since I was off today. I figure the best option is to route the sound from the tablet since I installed the majority of my music onto it. If necessary, I believe I can still play from my iPod if necessary when just using the tablet for navigation purposes. I have to play around a little bit more and get everything fine tuned. Once done, I'll update the thread. Thanks for the compliment..

OK, so I decided to tackle this project today. Why? I honestly believe Wade (clean_green) has done all of us a tremendous service by providing a template for bringing our cars somewhat into the 20th century in terms of ICE and a navigation option. I'd also like to thank 2NDW1FE (Fernando) for the support provided today via text message and the vote of confidence as I performed the install. Enough chit chat, onto the pics..

What my dining room table looked like at the start:

I think the real question is, where in the setup process did all those hair products come into play? LOL. All kidding aside, installation came out great. It truly does modernize the cabin tremendously. All credit to Wade (clean_green).

Back