• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My CTSC Nightmare... 56k Warning!

SaberX,

Did Comptech or anyone comment that with a proper seal it should: (a) be absolutely dry, or (b) that some very minor leakage is acceptable?

Mine leaks at a very, very slow pace, yet still does leak. Thanks.

Brian,

I'm very sorry that you were dissatisfied with your warranty experience. I agree with you 100% that 2 months is too long to wait for a warranty procedure, however my records don't show it going on for that long of a duration. Our customers have always been our top priority and it's unfortunate that this hasn't become apparent in our dealings. To certain other posters I'm sorry that our warranty procedure seems so foreign. We want any car with a problem to be up and running ASAP. We simply sell you a replacement part and credit you upon approval when we get the defect part back. Many companies in many different industries have identical policies. Our initial call from the Opcon service shop was different from the outcome you see here. It was explained to us that the gasket material was so liberally applied that it was ingested into the unit and caused the failure. It was only upon microscopic inspection where the manufacturer learned of the presence of auxilary contaminants. Since these contaminants could not be identified this was treated as a warrantable condition.
If Comptech extended a replacement blower at no charge to everyone that had a problem, how would we recoup our money when it turned out to be customer or installer error? It would be next to impossible to call a customer weeks after the ordeal to collect $2000 or more. Once again, I'm sorry that the original poster is less than satisfied with his experience but I assure everyone else that they have nothing to worry about. If you purchase or have purchased Comptech products we are more than happy to help you in every and any way possible.

Nate Haines
Comptech
(888) 626-6783 x.112

Nate just your reply here shows some concern that goes a long way as far as I am concerned. Can you please tell me if its possible other units may have this issue although to a lesser extent? I have a CTSC sitting in my basement to be installed soon and want no oil problems. Can I or should I send the blower in for an inspection?

I do not mind doing this, even paying for the shipping, and have peace of mind than have to pull the unit later. I understand these things happen, can we avoid a possible problem by a shipment?

You may PM me if you'd like.

Thanks for the help and the reply here.

Larry is a bit far, but Mitch at Mechanics direct is authorized Comptech and has done 10+ of these on NSX's so I am having him do mine. I just heard others say they too have a small leak from the same area and I don't mind spending a few bucks to get it taken care of at the beginning than later. Obviously Brian's was inspected too but was missed.

TURBO2GO said:
Nate just your reply here shows some concern that goes a long way as far as I am concerned. Can you please tell me if its possible other units may have this issue although to a lesser extent? I have a CTSC sitting in my basement to be installed soon and want no oil problems. Can I or should I send the blower in for an inspection?

I do not mind doing this, even paying for the shipping, and have peace of mind than have to pull the unit later. I understand these things happen, can we avoid a possible problem by a shipment?

You may PM me if you'd like.

Thanks for the help and the reply here.

This is a ventilated system and will "seep" oil or moisture. It should be a minute amount and is nothing to worry about. The #1 cause of excessive leakage is overfilling of the unit. In this particular case, contaminants have contributed to the failure. If you observe excessive leakage by all means call me and I'll get it sorted out for you. As you may already know, a deposit would be required for a replacement unit while we evaluate a warranty claim.
TURBO2GO, the claim wouldn't apply to anyone that wanted to send their unit in without requiring a replacement. If you have not installed your kit yet, you have nothing to worry about. Just make certain to fill the unit to the correct level and to keep exterior contaminants out of the unit. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you.

-Nate

Nate@Comptech said:
This is a ventilated system and will "seep" oil or moisture. It should be a minute amount and is nothing to worry about. The #1 cause of excessive leakage is overfilling of the unit. In this particular case, contaminants have contributed to the failure. If you observe excessive leakage by all means call me and I'll get it sorted out for you. As you may already know, a deposit would be required for a replacement unit while we evaluate a warranty claim.
TURBO2GO, the claim wouldn't apply to anyone that wanted to send their unit in without requiring a replacement. If you have not installed your kit yet, you have nothing to worry about. Just make certain to fill the unit to the correct level and to keep exterior contaminants out of the unit. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you.

-Nate

Did the previous generation blower in CTSC seep oil as well? How is the new one different (and better)? Thanks.

MiamieNeSeX said:
No pissing match on my part, the amount of oil shown on the pictures would not equal engine damage.

I don't know how much oil can damage an engine... but keep in mind. I put at least full quart of oil in the blower before I removed it for waranty. Some sprayed out the snout, the rest (I assume) was sucked into the engine. I imagine that at least a half quart of 20w50 went directly into the top end of my engine.

SaberX said:
I don't know how much oil can damage an engine... but keep in mind. I put at least full quart of oil in the blower before I removed it for waranty. Some sprayed out the snout, the rest (I assume) was sucked into the engine. I imagine that at least a half quart of 20w50 went directly into the top end of my engine.

The engine will burn off that small amount of oil, I would not worry about any damage. Easy way to check is pull the plugs and see what they look like.

Armando

MiamieNeSeX said:
The engine will burn off that small amount of oil, I would not worry about any damage. Easy way to check is pull the plugs and see what they look like.

Armando
Thanks Armando - I'll do that. Since they were new when the SC went in, it'll give me a good idea of what's been happening in the cylinders.

SaberX said:
Thanks Armando - I'll do that. Since they were new when the SC went in, it'll give me a good idea of what's been happening in the cylinders.

Post the pictures of the plugs, Im curious as to how they are burning.

Armando

lutera said:
Did the previous generation blower in CTSC seep oil as well? How is the new one different (and better)? Thanks.

I have 2 of the previous [Whipple] SCs and have noticed no oil residue anywhere. I recently pulled the SC to replace the by pass tube and noticed nothing out of the ordinary on the manifold or between the SC and the manifold. I check oil levels frequently and have not noticed any oil consumption between oil changes.

It is my understanding that the Autorotor SC's are more efficient and produce lower intake manifold temperatures and higher boost in the stock configuration. That equals higher HP output.

I am glad this has been resolved professionally and amicably irrespective of all those who wanted to flame the issue with irresponsible posts blaming Comptech without first diagnosing the cause.

The quotes from Nate are quite telling regarding the causality.

Nate@Comptech said:
....... Our initial call from the Opcon service shop was different from the outcome you see here. It was explained to us that the gasket material was so liberally applied that it was ingested into the unit and caused the failure. It was only upon microscopic inspection where the manufacturer learned of the presence of auxilary contaminants. Since these contaminants could not be identified this was treated as a warrantable condition. ..........

Nate@Comptech said:
........ In this particular case, contaminants have contributed to the failure. .........

Contaminants by their very definition are introduced externally.

Opcorn and Comptech should be recommended for extending the warranty as a good will gesture for a product after finding contaminants that are not identified as part of the manufacturing process. They deserve alot of kudos.

Hrant said:
Opcorn and Comptech should be recommended for extending the warranty as a good will gesture for a product after finding contaminants that are not identified as part of the manufacturing process.

Hrant -
I would like to clarify a few things here to ensure people didn't think I was getting special treatment:

1. After a complete examination of the blower, an independent 3rd party advised Opcon that it was indeed a warantyable claim.
2. Opcon chose to proceed with the repair based on that information. Afaik, this does not constitute a "good will" extension of the waranty by Comptech.
3. The presense of unknown external contaminants in the seal does not imply that these were introduced after I took delivery of the blower. Hence, the waranty claim being valid.

As a side note: I have spoken to both Nate and Jay numerous times over the last few weeks and discussed many things - including this thread. After talking to them, I feel confident that Comptech did everything they could within the restrictions of the waranty process. At this point, everyone is satisfied with the outcome and I should get my fully repaired blower this week.

Bob Kenney said:
It is my understanding that the Autorotor SC's are more efficient and produce lower intake manifold temperatures and higher boost in the stock configuration. That equals higher HP output.

Bob

I cant see how that can be the case when the new Autorotors are giving actual 6 lbs of boost, more boost more heat.

Armando

Prior to this thread, there were no issues reported.

The Supercharger use a whopping 3.5~4 oz of motor oil. Below is word for word from the Comptech Supercharger maintenance instruction manuals:
NOTE: Some superchargers have a vent on the snout that will allow a small amount of oil to accumulate in that area. This is nothing to be alarmed about, unless it seems excessive (oil overfill), and can be easily wiped off.

IMHO Comptech did everything they could. They offered 2 options from the day 1, the option 1 would had got the car back on the road immediately.

I can't think of other aftermarket FI systems that offer this kind of support or have anywhere near the # of problem free units on the road. I would had took the option 1 with hope of getting the $2k reimbursement later.

I have put 3k miles on the autorotor, quite frankly I have not spoted any oil residue yet. Since it is a open vent system, where is the vent? My Supercharger oil was changed 500 mile after install and again at 2000mile. It's a mechanical item, so probably wise to change the oil after a you put on some miles on the new unit IMHO. It use so little oil, easy 5 minute job with no mess.

The Comptech Autorotor SC for NSX have been around for a long time, it was in the C&D 9/2002 issue 10k horsepower shootout, obviously they did at least 2+ years of extensive testing prior to making the unit available.

SaberX said:
:
3. The presense of unknown external contaminants in the seal does not imply that these were introduced after I took delivery of the blower. Hence, the waranty claim being valid.
Did they told you what might had caused the external contaminants getting into the blower? To my understanding, this type of blower is widely used in many other cars:

IMG_3742.JPG

MiamieNeSeX said:
Bob

I cant see how that can be the case when the new Autorotors are giving actual 6 lbs of boost, more boost more heat.

Armando

It is my understanding that because of the efficiency of the Autorotor even at the some what higher boost the manifold temps are lower. I don't own one so I can not make the comparison myself but I have this information from reliable sources. It does seem counter to what I have experienced about the relationship between higher boost pressure and temperatures.

I know from your past posts that you have spent a great deal of time and effort to control manifold temperatures. Per lb of boost how much increase in temperature have you seen?

I dont have any data either, but my understanding is also that the system runs cooler at higher boost than the whipple was (because of size?). My understanding is that this also raises the risk of detonation slightly as more boost is being stuffed through at a lower temp. Because the whipple ran hot, on a non EMS'd car the computer pulled back timing sooner than it is with the autorotor.

It was almost a passive failsafe in the whipple.

MiamieNeSeX said:
Bob
Armando

JohnZ just installed the new blower tonight. Everything went swimmingly. I finally got the drive the car just now. I am pleased to say that everything feels great. After a solid driving session, there was no oil to be found anywhere on the snout. Which is good because after the first test drive on the old one, there was already oil coming out.

I also took a picture of the plug from cyl #4. The plug itself looked fine, so I didn't bother to look at the other ones. (lazy) I'll post the picture later.

It looks like all this is finally drawing to a close.

P.S. - After driving a Civic for over a month, the NSX feels scary fast. :biggrin: I wonder how long that will last...

Good to hear your car is up and running! So when are we gonna have that little friendly run?:biggrin: My car won't be stock for much longer:smile:

Ok - so I have to say the POWER... the fixed blower is hands down better than the last one. Granted, different day, different dyno. But I went from 313hp/230ft lbs to 344hp and 243ft lbs. Check it out! These are the numbers I expected!

10358NSXCTSC-med.JPG

Back