• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Interview With Shigeru Uehara some NSX R/S myths dispelled.

the seat issue affects many cars... its a DOT thing and the statistics show american's are too fat anyways to fit.

Why would the NSX-R be a good marketing decision?

It would be more $$$. The "bang-for-the-buck" performance value would be a hard sell with the Z06 and turbo'd Japanese cars (FD, MKIV, 3KGT, 300ZXTT)......

If you're going to bring over a halo car and let it rotten in the show room, at least bring the one geeks will lust over.

When you use that scenario, why even bring over the regular NSX?

Here's another interesting avenue perhaps worth pursuing. Two houses or so from where my uncle lives is the now retired AHM product planner who was in charge of the Zanardi. I posted about it in the past, but I met him when I parked the Z outside his house by coincidence, and then my uncle introduced me to him. He hired the artist who created the signed Zanardi plates and also delivered the first one to Alex Zanardi. I would think he was one of the people in charge of deciding whether it was a good idea to bring over the Recaros from the Type S.

the seat issue affects many cars... its a DOT thing and the statistics show american's are too fat anyways to fit.

lol

From what I understand, all the racing buckets you see in European cars all have FIA certifications on it, but on the NSX seat, you don't' see it.

If you're going to bring over a halo car and let it rotten in the show room, at least bring the one geeks will lust over.

When you use that scenario, why even bring over the regular NSX?

I can't think of anything in the NSX-R that I wouldn't/couldn't change/amend/improve on with stuff like wheels and suspension (to start with).

What that car really needs is some nice set of balls for engine. 300HP~ with a linear power band just won't cut the cake to make people go out and wait in line when the domestics already offer a flat power band with massive HP and TQ.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that it seems like every NSX-R I see for sale at MACS and others in Japan has a stereo???

lol

From what I understand, all the racing buckets you see in European cars all have FIA certifications on it, but on the NSX seat, you don't' see it.

I'm not sure about that, can't say i've ever seen an FIA sticker on OEM applications, but I was never looking for that... but FIA approved racing seats expire and you have to replace them over time for certain sanctioning bodies. also, FIA doesn't equal DOT, so you'd have get it approved by DOT.

the stickers look like this for example...
SparcoFIA.jpg

Thats what I figured the main reason was.

I think it was the front bumper beam, door reinforcements, airbags and seats.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that it seems like every NSX-R I see for sale at MACS and others in Japan has a stereo???

I remember watching a video from Japan with English subtitles explaining how the stereo and painted roof were factory options.

I think it was the front bumper beam, door reinforcements, airbags and seats.

Exactly -- it was DOT safety stuff that was missing.

The type r also doesn't have an airbag...

It's an option. The only NA2 R shipped to England was with both air bags.

Every amenity on the NSX can be ordered with the NSX-R.

Last edited:
Is an airbag an amenity? I think it's a must have for US sold vehicles for a long time... But if you can get the regular steering wheel in a type r I didn't know that.

Cool thread.

-as another said. What does he say the function of the 20mm trunklid lip thats added to tge 02+ and removed on the NSXR?

-does the variable volume butterflies improve response or mid range torque?

-what oil weight for track use and max acceptable oil temp on track?

-what is the minimum acceptable oil pressure at redline?

Outstanding! This needs to be in the wiki.
I agree. But I wrestled with how best to include it in the Wiki and ended up deciding to just add a pointer to this thread just after the Wiki article on Model changes in the "Learning about the NSX" section. Anyone can edit a Wiki page so if someone feels they can summarize all the pertinent information in the thread and think they have a better place for it, have at it.

This is something that I plan on getting more clarification on if possible however I don't believe he meant to mislead us but simply left that minor detail out.

Here's a visual comparison

Zanardi
33uxsnd.jpg

Type S
REMOVED BECAUSE IT WAS INCORRECT

I'm not a suspension expert so maybe someone who is can comment. To my eyes though the Type S coils are not spaced evenly.

ok, i found a video that shows the Type S suspension and it looks identical to me at 0:20...
http://gtchannel.com/videoChannel/best-motoring/tuner-nsx-vs-nsx-r-vtec-club

I really would like to know about the structural strength of the A and B pillars on the targa versus a coupe. I would love to know his opinion on how a T will hold up in a rollover and what his thoughts are on adding rollbars to the B pillars for tracked cars.

Also can we get an answer about the factory airbox design and why it is shaped like that?

The rest of his answers were fantastic to know. Thank you Russ.

Make a list. I don't want to overwhelm him but I do have the ability to reach out to him occasionally.

- By 2002 it was obvious that (only) 290 HP was rather low for a high-end and expensive sportscar. Why did Honda never increase the HP output even if just for the market outside Japan?

- Is it true that 2002+ actually DO have more HP than advertised? In many articles about the 2002+ NSX, it is mentioned that the car feels like it has actually more than the advertised HP.

- The NSX stereo system was never upgraded, even retaining the casette player option in the 2005 model. Was this done because Honda, initially, overestimated demand for the NSX and had so many units in stock?

- Is the NSX-R ECU compatible with the standard NSX ECU?

Also can we get an answer about the factory airbox design and why it is shaped like that?

The rest of his answers were fantastic to know. Thank you Russ.

You're welcome. Now, this is just purely speculation on my part but I believe it has to do with volume. The Realtime Integra R race cars swapped their intakes for the NSX intake and also punched out a headlight to get air.

Great information from Mr. Uehara. Thanks for posting it! A couple questions pop into my mind as well:
  • Was the rear bulkhead upper cross member, which the NSX-T’s triangulated rear strut tower brace bolts to, strengthened for the NSX-T? According to the Service Manual it wasn’t.
  • Did the 2002 facelift reduce overall drag and rear lift but increase lift at the front? According to an Acura brochure the overall coefficient of lift of a pre-facelift NSX was Cl 0.05 and according to Brian Long’s book Acura NSX Honda’s Supercar, that broke down into a Cl of 0.02 at the front and 0.03 at the rear. Honda’s website states the facelifted NSX had an overall coefficient of lift of Cl 0.075: 0.055 in the front and 0.020 in the rear. Is that true?
  • As RYU and Stuntman asked: what exactly is the effect of the trunk lid spoiler on the facelifted NSX? Drag reduction, reduction of rear lift, both, or something else? All we have now is conjecture.
  • As BD asked: were all 2002-2005 NA2 engines dynamically balanced like the NA2 Type R? Based on the results of dyno days in the UK I assume not, but no one knows for sure. If all the 2002-2005 NA2 engines are mechanically Type R engines for all intents and purposes, that would make them a lot more desirable.

...Every amenity on the NSX can be ordered with the NSX-R.

Not every amenity.

Apparently, the NSX-R cannot be ordered with OEM Alarm, I checked. Most likely because the NSX-R doesn't come with auto door locks, as in central locking. You have to use the key, insert to driver's side key hole to unlock driver's side door, get in car, reach over to passenger's side and pull the door lock lever to let passenger in. Reverse process to lock the car, quite troublesome.

Last edited:
I think you guys are assuming Uehara-san was much more involved in the minutiae of the NSX's design than maybe he was. It was a team effort that likely involved a hundred people. As Large Project Leader, he set directions and oversaw the designs, but to expect him to remember every detail might be too much.

Back