• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Movie Theater, Lobby, AV Room, and Game Room

electronics are denon speakers are snell and projecter is vidikron.

Thank you Striker.
We can definitely hold 100 people and much more. We had a NYE party before and we had more than a hundred, right Ben? :wink:

Thanks Arshad.

We made the starfield by simply drilling holes in the designated places from the butcher paper which was custom made for the size of our theater. They said that it replicates the sky from the SE part of the USA during the summer. The Milky Way stars do not twinkle like the constellation and shooting stars, and they are a little less bright.

Sounds like a very nice system Doc. I always enjoyed Snell, and Denon makes great bang-for-the-buck receivers (which I'm a fan of). Vidikron is an awesome brand of projectors.

DSC05595.jpg

Is that your SLR? Any more pics?

Very nice HT set up. If and when you end up selling your home, will you start another (possibly similar) HT project in your new home?

Hi Chong,
Sorry. My mistake. Many of my family members have the first name Chong as well, and there is a Korean fellow down here, so I thought you may have been him. If you are in the bay area, look me up.

Yawwn, I shall keep that in mind the next time I am passing by :biggrin:

Is that your SLR? Any more pics?

Very nice HT set up. If and when you end up selling your home, will you start another (possibly similar) HT project in your new home?

Hi Freshazzburu,
I wish that was my SLR! The McLaren belongs to a friend of mine who has an incredible car collection. Don't get me started.

I will build an even more extensive HT at the next home. I asked my architect to contact THX, and he was able to get the specifications for Home THX certification. We designed the new theater to accomodate the requirements. It will contain 50+ seats. It is 45'x30'x19'. I love this hobby!

Take care.

Thank you Striker.
We can definitely hold 100 people and much more. We had a NYE party before and we had more than a hundred, right Ben? :wink:

Yeah, there were definitely quite a few people, at least 100 if not more. So, any plans for an NYE party this year? :wink::biggrin:

Hi Ben,
I would like to hold another NYE party and end this year with a bang, but my wife is reluctant with how difficult it was to host the last time. I'll try to convince her, but it's even more of a challenge to do so with a baby in the equation, along with an even larger number of guests.

I hope you have been doing well.

I will build an even more extensive HT at the next home. I asked my architect to contact THX, and he was able to get the specifications for Home THX certification. We designed the new theater to accomodate the requirements. It will contain 50+ seats. It is 45'x30'x19'. I love this hobby!

You, sir, are my brothers' new hero :biggrin:

Hi Guys,
Our theater is pretty much done now. Just little knick-knack stuff to do.
Here are some updated pics. Sorry for not posting sooner.

One of two racks with the EpiCenter HTPC and five Sony 200 DVD changers daisy-chained via firewire:

29b51d44.jpg

Screen and stage with temporary speakers in place. You can almost make out the tops of the first row of seats:

d1c9a4fb.jpg

Close-up of screen, starfield, and front-right column showing the double crown molding uplights and fabric walls:

f5d85bc0.jpg

More starfield, crown molding uplight, and flush mounted light images:

57ae2539.jpg

d936ec05.jpg

ee6561f9.jpg

90be4e8c.jpg

f0bfe489.jpg

4c13d76b.jpg

Last edited:
More photos.

I should have closed the double doors in the back to give a better representation of what the theater would look like. However, since I wheeled the second rack with all the components (and temporarily placed the projector on one of the shelves) and wired all the speakers to the 906 receiver, I didn't want to disassemble it for the sake of the photo. I will update again when the rack is finally placed appropriately in the A/V room:

37c447c3.jpg

b62d1f74.jpg

b07378dc.jpg

d3b25fd0.jpg

d11c009e.jpg

79329dc3.jpg

d1be19af.jpg

Very nice.:cool: You can even charge admission to watch a movie at your house.:wink:

Glad to see it's getting all finished up and looking good. Next time I'm up visiting NorCal on a road trip will have to get in touch and see if we can hook up. Would love to check it out.

I like the extra comfy, recliner seats for you and your wife surrounded by the watch the movie and get out seats. lol

Last edited:
HT setup looks awesome! When you do it, you do it right.
Any plans to have couches in there a-la- Parkway Theater style in Oakland?

Hi slamstrom,
I should set up the business plan to be like movie theaters in that most of their profit is from selling their concessions. I won't charge family or friends for admission, but will have them pay outrageous $ for Raisinets and popcorn and soda. :wink:

Hi Ilya,
I would be disappointed if you didn't call me and stop by the next time you visit the bay area! Definitely let me know the next time you are here, and I'll make sure to do the same if I'm down in your neck of the woods.
You are one of many who have made the same observation about the seats.
You would be surprised how comfortable these seats actually are, especially since the seat backs rock. However, you are right that they are not made to have someone sit there for 3 movies straight, unlike the two money seats.

Hi mickeylex,
Thank you for your comments. I wish you were still living in the area so we could hang out. Let me know when you and Lisa are visiting your old stomping grounds so we can meet up. I don't have any more plans for seats, as I think 22 seats fill up the theater pretty much up to capacity.

Take care,
J.

Hi slamstrom,
I should set up the business plan to be like movie theaters in that most of their profit is from selling their concessions. I won't charge family or friends for admission, but will have them pay outrageous $ for Raisinets and popcorn and soda. :wink:

J.

That can fund the poker games when the movies aren't playing.:wink:

That's pretty badass. I don't think i know enough people to even need that many seats though hehe. Maybe I'd have more friends if i had a theater room like that :tongue:

Hi Slamstrom,

You mean like this?

4969.jpg

We had 20 people at a time playing, with others waiting to get on a table.

Thanks Chong, Cozmo, and Roninasauna.
We watched the Dark Knight yesterday for Mother's Day. My parents, in-laws, and sis' family were over for a BBQ, and we concluded it with a movie.

Hi mickeylex,
Thank you for your comments. I wish you were still living in the area so we could hang out. Let me know when you and Lisa are visiting your old stomping grounds so we can meet up. I don't have any more plans for seats, as I think 22 seats fill up the theater pretty much up to capacity.

Take care,
J.

J,
Next time Lisa and I are in the old 'hood, I'll let you know. I'd love to check out the new theater sometime.

Back