• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My NSX vs Ford GT

Ok, I promised a comparison and here it is.

1. Interior.
The GT has a very basic interior. I did not like some of the cheap plastics and rubber, but it looks nice for the most part. I absolutely hate the speedo on the far right. It is terrible. I understand why they did it, but it just plain sucks. I liked the switches on the dash as I thought they looked cool. My wife said they look like crap. The stereo was a $4000 option and I thought it didn't sound great at all. The seats are awesome!

Overall, the NSX is much easier to live with. I still think the NSX has one of the best interior designs ever made.

2. Clutch.
The GT clutch is really light and easy - just like a stock NSX clutch. I was really surprised how easy it is.

3. Feel
The GT feels WIDE and it is. The steering is very precise and not overboosted at all. It takes a while to get used to driving it.

The NSX to me just fits better. Like a Glove. Hop in and you just feel like you are home. :)

4. Power. Absolutely no comparison to a stock NSX. Still not much of a comparison to my boosted NSX. The TQ is awesome. Put your foot down and hold on. It makes 6lbs of boost at 1300 RPM! :eek:

5. Sound.
The GT is VERY quiet. You can barely hear the exhaust. When you nail it you really only hear the blower whine. It sounds cool, but I was expecting more. For me though, it was great because of how quiet it is. I wouldn't change a thing, but those looking for a killer loud V8 will be dissapointed.

My NSX sounds much better at WOT, but I wish it was as quiet as the GT around town.

6. Driveability.
The GT takes a little getting used to. It is very wide, but it has HUGE blindspots. It is hard to see where anything is around you. Changing lanes is a HUGE pain in the rear. It is almost scary because you just cannot see. Basically look as well as you can, nail the gas and pray nothing is to your right. The car is very easy to drive around town though and at WOT. I thought it would really break lose easily, but that was not the case. I guess those GIANT 19" 315 tires do the job well.

I think the NSX is far easier to hop in a drive. The car feels much more precise and you have a much better view of the road and all around you.

7. Practicality.
The GT has no trunk, no cupholder, the AC sucks, the car is hard to get in and out of, the doors need a LOT of room to open. Living with this car on a daily basis would not be much fun.

NSX - you all know. Pretty great for an exotic.

8. BLING factor.
If you get stares in the NSX, triple it and that is what the GT is like. EVERYONE stares at this car. I nearly caused at least 5 accidents with people starring at the car instead of the road. If you like attention, this is the car for you. Also, when you park people flock around the car. I sure would not feel comfortable at all leaving it ANYWHERE except my garage.

9. Overall
The GT is a great exotic car - I just don't think I would enjoy it much as a daily driver or even weekend car. The NSX just fits me better.

Still, the GT is one bad ass car. I am very grateful for having the opportunity to drive it for the weekend.

OOPS. I forgot about the Gas Mileage. IT SUCKS. I would be surpised if it gets 150 miles to a tank (18.5 gallon) with normal driving!!!

Goo review, thanks! So...how did you get this car anyway?? :confused:

Thanks for the review; I am really attracted to that car. Its good to know that NSX is more user friendly but there is something about that GT. I won't part with the NSX but I still would like to acquire a GT if the deal is ever right enough.:rolleyes:

Thanks again,
Bob

Last edited:
Kind of what I expected to hear. I have a GT on order but won't see it for 3 to 6 months. After sitting in it I agree about how wide it is and how the NSX feels like a glove afterwards. However, as with any car, after a period of acclimatisation, it will feel just right.

According to the folks over at fordgtforum.com there is a Borla exhaust for the car that sounds pretty damn good. (http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162)
I'm sure with time there will be plenty of aftermarket goodies. Just a simple pulley change and some tuning has already netted some folks 700 RWHP!

I tried one out and the ergo just didn't work for me. The shifter was a bit far back such that my elbow was banging against the seat bolster (unlike what Ford does with SVT Mustangs, where the shifter is too far forward) and the visibility was just awful compared to the NSX. As much as I liked the car (and got preapproval on the loan, just in case...), when you spend this kind of money, the ergo has to be nearly perfect or you just won't be able to get the best out of the car.

I dont see how people can track these cars, Murcielago, Ford GT ETC? How would you knows who's next to you when racing? I know about the blndspots in the Murcielago and how huge it feels driving it and how akward it is manuvering it. We totally took out the carbon fiber sideskirt/air intake on one side from misjudging the width of the rear while parallel parking, this was on a test drive:eek: :eek: :eek: I wasnt driving, we took the car back to the dealer and he said, no I dont like the wrecked one, how about pulling that other one off the floor. He ended up buying the second one. After driving the murcielago and pretty much any car it makes me realize how well they engineered the NSX..

Hugh said:
Since they're in the same price range, have you tried out a Gallardo?
I have a soft spot in my heart for the styling of the Ford GT, whereas I just don't particularly like the Gallardo, especially the styling at the rear, so the latter isn't really an option. Mercifully, there are a number of interesting cars coming out - this is probably the best era for car guys since as long as I can remember...

Sinisfun said:
Would you buy one if you had the money?

I don't think so. I would prefer the gallardo. Of course, I have yet to drive one.

Sports cars are so subjective. I still want a Ford GT. There is a group of people in our racing club that own a Ford GT as well as a ZO6. They said that the Z06 was easier to drive fast on the track and certainly more suited as a daily driver.

Now I can't afford a Ford GT. If I can't pay cash for a car, then I don't want it. My limit is about $70K at this point in my life and that includes selling the NSX and the race car. The Ford GT is the only sports car that I'm aware of that I don't think I'll want to upgrade after a few years. I've always loved the looks and if you don't love the looks then it's a non-starter. The performance is great. It's just not practical. So, I'll drive a Miata as my daily driver and keep the GT for special drives.

I took a look at one the other day. I too was suprised at how quiet it was. I parked my NSX nose to nose with it and they are remarkably similar from the side. Definately wider. I didn't drive it b/c there is no way I could afford it.

If any one is interested, there is a Red/White one at Ceiner-Woods Ford in Kernersville, NC. They also have a White/Blue one that should arrive in about a month.

thanks for the review. To have that car for one weekend would be spectacular. It is a beautiful machine! Even with all the imperfections, I would still love to have one.-dreaming in H-town

Agree with you on some points, disagree on some.

1. Interior.
The GT has a very basic interior. I did not like some of the cheap plastics and rubber, but it looks nice for the most part. I absolutely hate the speedo on the far right. It is terrible. I understand why they did it, but it just plain sucks. I liked the switches on the dash as I thought they looked cool. My wife said they look like crap. The stereo was a $4000 option and I thought it didn't sound great at all. The seats are awesome!

Overall, the NSX is much easier to live with. I still think the NSX has one of the best interior designs ever made.

The speedo position is not a big deal to me, the Mini and Prowlers have them in the center so I am used to this. It is nice having the tach front and center. Switches are cool. The Mac Intosh (sp?) stereo sounds pretty good to me, not the best and not worth 4 grand but it is not bad. The worst part of the GT interior is the total lack of storage space.

2. Clutch.
The GT clutch is really light and easy - just like a stock NSX clutch. I was really surprised how easy it is.

Agree.

3. Feel
The GT feels WIDE and it is. The steering is very precise and not overboosted at all. It takes a while to get used to driving it.

The NSX to me just fits better. Like a Glove. Hop in and you just feel like you are home.

The width of the GT does take a little getting used to. I think it is more of the views out of the car that impart the unease.
I find the seats in the GT to be better feeling and fitting.

4. Power. Absolutely no comparison to a stock NSX. Still not much of a comparison to my boosted NSX. The TQ is awesome. Put your foot down and hold on. It makes 6lbs of boost at 1300 RPM!

Agree. The GT is a hairy chested beast.

5. Sound.
The GT is VERY quiet. You can barely hear the exhaust. When you nail it you really only hear the blower whine. It sounds cool, but I was expecting more. For me though, it was great because of how quiet it is. I wouldn't change a thing, but those looking for a killer loud V8 will be dissapointed.

My NSX sounds much better at WOT, but I wish it was as quiet as the GT around town.

Agree. The GT is fairly quite for what it is. I was surprised at how quite it is traveling at highway+ speeds.

6. Driveability.
The GT takes a little getting used to. It is very wide, but it has HUGE blindspots. It is hard to see where anything is around you. Changing lanes is a HUGE pain in the rear. It is almost scary because you just cannot see. Basically look as well as you can, nail the gas and pray nothing is to your right. The car is very easy to drive around town though and at WOT. I thought it would really break lose easily, but that was not the case. I guess those GIANT 19" 315 tires do the job well.

Again it takes a little while to get the hang of the GT. I had to play with the mirrors for a couple of days until I found the best driving position.

The traction on the GT is surprisingly good. Even when it starts to break away it is very controlled.

The GT handles great but it does not have the balanced feel of the NSX.

7. Practicality.
The GT has no trunk, no cupholder, the AC sucks, the car is hard to get in and out of, the doors need a LOT of room to open. Living with this car on a daily basis would not be much fun.

NSX - you all know. Pretty great for an exotic.

Agree with you except for the AC comment. It was 92 degrees last weekend and the air would freeze you out in a matter if seconds.

8. BLING factor.
If you get stares in the NSX, triple it and that is what the GT is like. EVERYONE stares at this car. I nearly caused at least 5 accidents with people starring at the car instead of the road. If you like attention, this is the car for you. Also, when you park people flock around the car. I sure would not feel comfortable at all leaving it ANYWHERE except my garage.

Just about anywhere you stop in the GT turns into an instant car show. My GT has it's photo on more cell phones than I can count!

9. Overall
The GT is a great exotic car - I just don't think I would enjoy it much as a daily driver or even weekend car. The NSX just fits me better.

The GT would not be my first choice for daily driving.

OOPS. I forgot about the Gas Mileage. IT SUCKS. I would be surpised if it gets 150 miles to a tank (18.5 gallon) with normal driving!!!

In mixed driving, I have been averaging about 16 miles to the gallon. Not bad for the amount of fun I have driving it!

2004 NSX Black / Camel
———————————————————————————————————————————————–
Our other cars: 2006 XLR-V Silver/ 2006 S55 Silver / 2006 Mini Cooper S Green / 2006 SSR Red / 2005 Ford GT Silver / 2005 SL65 Pewter / 2005 G55 Graphite / 2004 Gallardo Yellow / 2002 Candy Red Prowler + 2001 Orange Prowler + 2001 Silver Prowler + 1999 Yellow Prowler / 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible / 1970 Camaro SS350 / 1970 Black Chevy SWB Pick up / 1969 Garnet Red Camaro SS 350 / 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 1969 Impala SS 427 / 1968 Chevy Step Side Truck L98/700r4 / 1967 Hugger Orange Camaro 400 / 1966 GTO / 1955 Yellow Chevrolet Truck / 1934 Ford Sedan / 1930 Ford Hiboy Coupe 302 5spd

Hey Steve T,

thanks for the ownership and driving impressions. What is your favorite car out of all those beautiful machines you own? What car is your daily driver?

TIA

Great review. But disappointing to hear the word "cheap plastic" associated with a car in the ~$300k range. I'd expect carbon fiber interior, suede..etc.

Maybe just me?

NetViper said:
Ok, I promised a comparison and here it is.

1. Interior.

Steve T said:
2004 NSX Black / Camel
Our other cars: 2006 XLR-V Silver/ 2006 S55 Silver / 2006 Mini Cooper S Green / 2006 SSR Red / 2005 Ford GT Silver / 2005 SL65 Pewter / 2005 G55 Graphite / 2004 Gallardo Yellow / 2002 Candy Red Prowler + 2001 Orange Prowler + 2001 Silver Prowler + 1999 Yellow Prowler / 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible / 1970 Camaro SS350 / 1970 Black Chevy SWB Pick up / 1969 Garnet Red Camaro SS 350 / 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 1969 Impala SS 427 / 1968 Chevy Step Side Truck L98/700r4 / 1967 Hugger Orange Camaro 400 / 1966 GTO / 1955 Yellow Chevrolet Truck / 1934 Ford Sedan / 1930 Ford Hiboy Coupe 302 5spd

I have said this before, and I have to say to say it again. DAG:eek: NNE Steve!

2004 NSX-T
other cars: 2006 XLR-V Silver/ 2006 S55 Silver / 2006 Mini Cooper S Green / 2006 SSR Red / 2005 Ford GT Silver / 2005 SL65 Pewter / 2005 G55 Graphite / 2004 Gallardo Yellow / 2002 Candy Red Prowler + 2001 Orange Prowler + 2001 Silver Prowler + 1999 Yellow Prowler / 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible / 1970 Camaro SS350 / 1970 Black Chevy SWB Pick up / 1969 Garnet Red Camaro SS 350 / 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 1969 Impala SS 427 / 1968 Chevy Step Side Truck L98/700r4 / 1967 Hugger Orange Camaro 400 / 1966 GTO / 1955 Yellow Chevrolet Truck / 1934 Ford Sedan / 1930 Ford Hiboy Coupe 302 5spd

Steve T- I had never seen this list before. You are officially my hero

I better go get a better job now...

NetViper- great review- you never told us how you came into possession of the GT for the weekend?

Just curious.

Philip

Wheelman - It is really hard to pick a favorite, like asking which of your children you love the most. I drive a Crew Cab 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4 more than anything else. Of the newer cars the NSX has the most miles, 5,400, in 20 months.

SilverOne - The GT had an msrp of 159,000. I really think the interior is not bad at all, mostly black leather and aluminum. At least the seat backs are carbon fiber.

donwon/H-carWizKid - I could have retired by now if I did not spend so much on "toys":biggrin:

2004 NSX Black / Camel

Amazing. I'd like to know how you store all those vehicles. Single garage, multiple structures, storage services? Around my 'hood, I'm starting to see a lot of lightweight canopies being put up around peoples' cars. :biggrin:

Back