• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NA1 ABS to NA2 ABS... Anyone noticed the differences in brake pedal feel?

Just upgraded from NA1 ABS to NA2 ABS on a 91 car. Shaved about 10 lbs going from old one to new but I no longer have that great pedal feel :frown:
No bite until 1/2" pedal travel and feels spongy... Master cyl has been replaced, flushed and filled with fresh Motul 600. It has been bled several times due to pedal going deeper on the track.
Shop swears it has been bled properly but I'm puzzled as what has happened to the brakes? I have aftermarket Brembos on all 4 corners but no brake components has been changed when did NA1 to NA2 swap.

Last edited:
You probably still have some air in the system. It took me a long time to bleed the system of all the air after upgrading to the new ABS. (2000-2005)
if you replaced the master, that is another opportunity for air. I just bled one wheel at a time and continued went around several times until there wasn't any more air bubbles. Use a clear hose and a clear bottle so you can see all the air bubbles. Exercise the ABS. that will help as well. I did it a couple times after a half track day as well. ( still more air bubbles ) I think I passed about three litres of brake fluid through the system in total.
My brakes have never been better than before this new ABS install. Brake peddle is always firm.

Last edited:
I agree with warrenw. It seemed to take forever to get all the air out of the system. I believe a number of us have done write-ups on our experiences with the upgrade. I don't have a link to the posts, but if you search for it, you will likely find a number of useful posts on the topic.

Thanks for the reply.
Now I need to find someone who can perform a such work since I'm not a DIY type of guy LOL
Anyone or a shop recommended in So Cal?

I'm afraid I don't know anyone in the So-Cal area. You may want to post in the regional section and see if anyone can give you some recommendations. I know there are a number simply due to the fact that there are so many NSX's in CA

I'd love to do this conversion. I'm not sure if I can take that spongy feeling.....................................in my wallet.:frown:

There's no such thing as "NA1 ABS" and "NA2 ABS". NA1 and NA2 are engine codes, which refer to the 3.0-liter and 3.2-liter NSX engine, respectively. The NSX came with two different brake setups - the setup for '91-96 model year cars (all of which had the NA1 engine), and the setup for '97-05 model year cars (some of which had the NA1 engine, others the NA2 engine).

Last edited:
There's no such thing as "NA1 ABS" and "NA2 ABS". NA1 and NA2 are engine codes, which refer to the 3.0-liter and 3.2-liter NSX engine, respectively. The NSX came with two different brake setups - the setup for '91-96 model year cars (all of which had the NA1 engine), and the setup for '97-05 model year cars (some of which had the NA1 engine, others the NA2 engine).

There are actually 3 different ABS setups. 91-92, 93-99, and 2000-2005
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Abs

Last edited:
What the op is talking about is the new actuator that did away with the secondary reservoir. This revision came out in 2000 or 2001. See chrisnsx thread in nsx builds for a good write up on the difference but it is lighter, simpler and is significantly faster at actuating the brakes

Last edited:
I'd love to do this conversion. I'm not sure if I can take that spongy feeling.....................................in my wallet.:frown:

$2000 for this upgrade. Well worth it. It took me about 6 hrs. $2k isn't much considering people wouldn't hesitate this for wheels, exhaust or HP gains. I think it is the best money spent on a pre 2000 car.
And a pretty easy DIY.
I have a write up on Prime for this. http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Upgrade_to_2000-2005_ABS_using_SOS_kit

And another write up to rebuild the first gen ABS.http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/162710-ABS-ALB-modulator-rebuild-write-up

Last edited:
Back