• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

na1 front clip repair

I'm in Georgetown Texas, I would not know any shops with a celette body frame machine or any other jigs, but if you know any places around the Austin Texas area that would have this equipment, I would like to know, thankyou

I'd pass on this one- it needs the entire side hoop on the left side in addition to the entire front clip, plus a new roof panel, door and front firewall. You should look for cars with damage to the front or rear clips, but intact center sections.

I'd pass on this one- it needs the entire side hoop on the left side in addition to the entire front clip, plus a new roof panel, door and front firewall. You should look for cars with damage to the front or rear clips, but intact center sections.
could you further explain why the center section of this nsx is damaged all I could see is that area I circled to be a problem I cant see why it needs a new side hoop and roof panel.

Attachments

• screen11.png
    screen11.png
    459.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot 2023-11-10 095453.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-10 095453.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 15
could you further explain why the center section of this nsx is damaged all I could see is that area I circled to be a problem I cant see why it needs a new side hoop and roof panel.
It's tough to see from the photos, but it appears like the upper corner of the roof panel is bent in. Could be a reflection though. The part you circled is called the "dashboard upper extension" and it's welded to the side hoop. If it's bent, the side hoop probably is too. You'd need to measure the side hoop control points to determine if you only need to replace the extension or the entire hoop. It may be possible to pull these pieces back into spec with the proper jig.

Screenshot 2023-11-10 092227.jpg

It's tough to see from the photos, but it appears like the upper corner of the roof panel is bent in. Could be a reflection though. The part you circled is called the "dashboard upper extension" and it's welded to the side hoop. If it's bent, the side hoop probably is too. You'd need to measure the side hoop control points to determine if you only need to replace the extension or the entire hoop. It may be possible to pull these pieces back into spec with the proper jig.

View attachment 185604

carbon roof panels exist would that fix the roof issue along with some work on a jig, what jigs are they're for something like this I know of celette jigs, what other jigs and options could work? also where could I get something like front clips and replacements for these projects I know of Austrian type racing, any others like them?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-12 095958.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-12 095958.png
    321.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2023-11-12 100403.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-12 100403.png
    335.9 KB · Views: 9
and does anyone have any nsx unibody aluminum scrap laying around I would like to see how it welds using my tig welder its a lincoln square wave 200 I want too see how the aluminum welds and what the best filler rod would work etc you can pm me if you have any piece's or parts laying around.

carbon roof panels exist would that fix the roof issue along with some work on a jig, what jigs are they're for something like this I know of celette jigs, what other jigs and options could work? also where could I get something like front clips and replacements for these projects I know of Austrian type racing, any others like them?
The NSX roof panel is affixed to the A and B pillars by many pinch welds. Not sure how you'd adhere the CF roof in a way that would protect the safety of the occupants and preserve the rigidity of the chassis. The CF product you linked is just a veneer- it has no structural strength. The issue isn't so much covering the dent of the roof buckle, it's restoring the roof structure to its original shape for safety reasons and so that the windows and doors close/seal properly. Compared to other parts of the car, the roof is comparatively easy to replace. You just have to make sure the roof rails are straight and in spec. See below.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 140026.png

and does anyone have any nsx unibody aluminum scrap laying around I would like to see how it welds using my tig welder its a lincoln square wave 200 I want too see how the aluminum welds and what the best filler rod would work etc you can pm me if you have any piece's or parts laying around.

I strongly suggest you download a copy of the Body Repair Manual here. It tells you everything you need to know about how to fix the NSX's unique aluminum body. It looks like A5356WY is the correct filler rod for the body metal. The manual will also show you which cuts (shown in the diagrams as the shaded areas) you will need for a correct repair.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 134234.jpg

For sourcing, ATR Parts has wrecked components. AH Parts dismantlers in Sacramento usually has some wrecks. Also the Toth brothers used to have a decent supply of NSX wrecks, but they disappeared years ago. You may want to gain access to the IAAI insurance auctions- you'll get to see wrecked NSXs before the vultures get to them. Wherever you get your cuts from, make sure they send you what is shaded in the body manual.

also any other threads on this forum of these repairs besides the one example I had a link for?

Here is a link to Vince's Auto Body performing a correct repair to a badly wrecked Zanardi. Vince's follows the Honda body repair method and the repaired car is just as good as new. You should give them a call and they can help you find a shop and jig that will work properly.

Most of the NSX repairs we see are not done to the Honda spec. Instead, they are cut and paste jobs that can put the driver/occupants in serious danger in the event of a crash. It's critical that whoever repairs the car follow the manual.

Based on what you've posted, you're going to need a donor roof panel and a donor front clip. It may be possible to pull the side hoop/roof rail back into spec, but if not, you'll need one of those too. That's nearly half of a NSX and I think it makes it too far gone for a repair without spending a ton of money.

The NSX roof panel is affixed to the A and B pillars by many pinch welds. Not sure how you'd adhere the CF roof in a way that would protect the safety of the occupants and preserve the rigidity of the chassis. The CF product you linked is just a veneer- it has no structural strength. The issue isn't so much covering the dent of the roof buckle, it's restoring the roof structure to its original shape for safety reasons and so that the windows and doors close/seal properly. Compared to other parts of the car, the roof is comparatively easy to replace. You just have to make sure the roof rails are straight and in spec. See below.

View attachment 185702

I strongly suggest you download a copy of the Body Repair Manual here. It tells you everything you need to know about how to fix the NSX's unique aluminum body. It looks like A5356WY is the correct filler rod for the body metal. The manual will also show you which cuts (shown in the diagrams as the shaded areas) you will need for a correct repair.

View attachment 185701

For sourcing, ATR Parts has wrecked components. AH Parts dismantlers in Sacramento usually has some wrecks. Also the Toth brothers used to have a decent supply of NSX wrecks, but they disappeared years ago. You may want to gain access to the IAAI insurance auctions- you'll get to see wrecked NSXs before the vultures get to them. Wherever you get your cuts from, make sure they send you what is shaded in the body manual.

Here is a link to Vince's Auto Body performing a correct repair to a badly wrecked Zanardi. Vince's follows the Honda body repair method and the repaired car is just as good as new. You should give them a call and they can help you find a shop and jig that will work properly.

Most of the NSX repairs we see are not done to the Honda spec. Instead, they are cut and paste jobs that can put the driver/occupants in serious danger in the event of a crash. It's critical that whoever repairs the car follow the manual.

Based on what you've posted, you're going to need a donor roof panel and a donor front clip. It may be possible to pull the side hoop/roof rail back into spec, but if not, you'll need one of those too. That's nearly half of a NSX and I think it makes it too far gone for a repair without spending a ton of money.
Thank you very much for giving this information to me.

Back