• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

NE1 make their own intake?

I was going to take off my stock airbox and bolt on a K&N filter to a section of tube. Anybody do this? I know you can get 'em from RM and dali, but I was just looking for a cheap solution for more air. Also I was looking for the I.D. of the K&N filter...thanks...

Yes, I also put on mesh grill covers when I did it. I found a rubber roof vent at Home Depot (think of a funnel) that I was able to cut with an exacto knife to fit inside the fender behind the grill opening. I cut it slightly larger, so after I pushed it in from the wheel well I was able to pull it backwards to seal it off leaving only the bottom open (so water can drain out). To the 3" opening on the roof vent I attached an ABS 3"x4" bushing...to the other side of the bushing I attached 4" aluminum flex dryer vent and routed up to the 4" opening that leads through the fender and into the filter box. (The dryer hose fit snugly into the 4" rubber opening). I installed a K&N drop in filter charger and a D.C. exhaust at the other end. The results are amazing!! looks, throttle response, power...The sound does not have the wooshing sound that most report. (which is good...I think). Good Luck!

Roof vent? Dryer hose? Who services your car now, Bob Vila? :-)

Just kidding... sounds like a lot of the "forced induction" stuff that Civic/Integra folks do. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with this type of setup in the rain... even if I thought I was clever enough to make it so water would drain out.

Do you have any pictures you can post?

EDR
91 Black/Ivory #3012

Oh goodie, someone who thinks they are smarter than Honda's engineers.
rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 17 January 2001).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
rolleyes.gif

Your too much...Put down the mouse...step away from the keyboard and come up for some air. This is supposed to be for fun.
smile.gif

rolleyes.gif

pfft, the honda engineers werent friends with bob vila!
wink.gif

------------------
me want NSX, me 16 (no license yet), me no have NSX =( but me do 3d art http://members.home.com/mcudich

[This message has been edited by M5150 (edited 19 January 2001).]

Aaaaaaaagh! That comment pops up on this forum every now and then and it drives me crazy! No - I have a heavily modified NSX because I have different needs and expectations (and far fewer compromises) for it than the Honda engineers. That does not mean I think I am smarter than them, it just means the car in my driveway was not engineered to appeal to the vast majority of doctors, lawyers, accountants, M35-54 HHI > $150K, etc. It was specifically designed to appeal to ME.

I applaud Craig for adding a cold air intake of his own design. That is very much in the true spirit of making something you love even better.

Come to think of it, I hope it is very much in the spirit of this forum.

I'll stop typing now.................

[This message has been edited by David (edited 19 January 2001).]

I can imagine how you did it, and it sounds fairly simple. However, I'd like to see pictures of it, or anyones own "home-made" design
smile.gif

------------------
Richard
<A HREF="http://www.guam.net/home/superg/nsxtasy.htm" TARGET=_blank>
NSXTASY</A>
1BADRX7

Thats exactly why I did it. I sold my '92 Lotus Esprit because there was nothing more I could do to it...No one made aftermarkt parts for it...Not even wheels!!!
I have this car as a hobby and love messing around with it. Thats it...It's for me, and not some higher cause.

As for the intake, It provides the exact function as the 600.00 CT Carbon Fiber unit for a fraction of the $, looks great through the side grill,(I'll try to post pic's soon) and I had a blast doing it! Although I dont drive the car in the rain as I mentioned in my original post I did leave the bottom open for drainage. One could even incorporate the original "baffle" and top half of the oem "plumbing" back into the arrangement if wanted. And I have'nt undone anything I cant put back to stock. It works for me.

Lets keep it friendly.
biggrin.gif
(Still dig the big grin)

Lets keep it friendly.
biggrin.gif
(Still dig the big grin)

Cool.
cool.gif

Surprised you didn't make reference to the trombone I have on my NSX, Ken. :-) Haha...that's what Bryan called it...a big fat trombone.

Back