• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need 02+ owner help with 02+ NSX changes by model year update

Hey guys

I wanted to get the changes by year model FAQ updated ,but the admin needs me to get the info for them to post.

I know some of the info i.e facelift , wheel/tire changes , but need to see if anyone else has any minute ( as in small ) changes that are not well known.

I have the book for the 04 model year and other than changing the gear shift knob and making keyless entry standard all I can find is "freshened dash". Anyone know what they changed to freshen it? Also 05 owners any of you know if anything at all changed for the 05? even small stuff?

Thanks for the help guys and as soon as we have it all I'll forward the info to the admin.

WingZ said:

Mine is a chick magnet too, I think that was new for 03 too!:wink:

Red said:
Mine is a chick magnet too, I think that was new for 03 too!:wink:

I had no idea later model NSX owners were such comedians:rolleyes:

Okay so standard features that I wasn't aware of are numbered as following

1. Supercharger
2. Chick magnet

Anyone else have options I wasn't aware of:wink:

Not sure if this started in '02 but the knobs on the radio and climate control are silver/greyish instead of black. The word "Acura" is written in a goldish color instead of white on the tape deck lid. "An Eternal Sports Mind For You" is not written on my 2005 climate control unit.....It was however on my 1991 ccu.

sjones said:
Not sure if this started in '02 but the knobs on the radio and climate control are silver/greyish instead of black. The word "Acura" is written in a goldish color instead of white on the tape deck lid. "An Eternal Sports Mind For You" is not written on my 2005 climate control unit.....It was however on my 1991 ccu.

Great thanks. Can anyone confirm that this started in 02?

WingZ said:

Yes, they changed the interior trim in a few ways:
1) Colour of "filler metal" in dash and door panels = gunmetal
2) Stitching in dash, etc. = white and "real" not a moulded in shape
3) door panel and seat leater style different (perfed and available in more colours)
4) Arm-rest has two "compartments" in top (change and flimsy drink holder) - may be older than 02+ I know it wasn't in 91s
5) Secret button that ejects the girlfriend and hides the condoms when you pull up beside your wife or someone you know from the office

other:
6) 17" wheels all around, with NSX-R style gold brakes
7) Different suspension
8) all obvious body work
9) Smart airbags (gen ii) with occupant sensing in passenger seat
10) Radio won't play country music - at all!

Red said:
3) door panel and seat leater style different (perfed and available in more colours)
4) Arm-rest has two "compartments" in top (change and flimsy drink holder) - may be older than 02+ I know it wasn't in 91s
5) Secret button that ejects the girlfriend and hides the condoms when you pull up beside your wife or someone you know from the office

other:
7) Different suspension
8) all obvious body work

Do you know what the suspension changes were?

Also it's curious to me that Honda didn't change the brakes i.e larger rotors or different pads or did they?

Also I'm surprised Vancehu hasn't jumped in on this yet. Anyone seen any posts by him lately?

WingZ said:

'05 has reverted back to white "Acura" lettering on the door. '04 has white lettering as well. '03 has the gold lettering.

I think '02 also added the trunk release handle inside the trunk (should you ever get locked inside). An '01 member would need to confirm that it was added in '02.

'04 added keyless entry as standard, and it's the standardized rounded Acura keyless fob (instead of the early '90s vintage rectangular one used from '91-'03). It also blinks the parking lights, as well as has audible beep confirmation on 2nd press.

'04 also made the CD Changer standard, and it's an updated, more compact unit which plays mp3 cds.

'04 also deleted the passenger side power lock switch.

'05 toolkits also have all the cutouts for the missing JDM and EDM tools. Earlier years did not have these cutouts. We would need an owner from each year starting '04 and going back until we find which year starts the older tool trays without all the cutouts.

There may be more, but that's what I thought of off the top of my head.

Last edited:
05's have a different shift knob as well.

in 04+
04 shift knob changed. different from 02, not sure about 03.
The 2004 has a ring on the top of the shift knob. also the CD changer comes standard and its' also MP3 files compatible :smile:

The area around the gauges in the 04's and 05's is black. The gauges have a silver trim ring. These are different than the 02 and 03.

WingZ said:

Also it's curious to me that Honda didn't change the brakes i.e larger rotors or different pads or did they?

They did! The 17s are a must to clear the bigger, R, rotors and calipers!

The gauge faces are actually dark blue for 04 with white numerals. I though it might only be on my blue interior car but it is listed in the sales brochure along with the "freshened dash."

I must have the updated high end stereo because mine plays country music all the time.

WingZ said:

I do not believe there have been any suspension changes to the NSX-T after 1997. At least not according to this chart:

9511susp_grid.JPG

WingZ said:

I also do not believe there have been any brake changes since 1997 other than caliper color. AFAIK even the 02 Type-R uses the same caliper as the 1997. The pads are likely different and the rotors are definitely different (slotted) but not larger.

Red said:
They did! The 17s are a must to clear the bigger, R, rotors and calipers!

This is incorrect. The Type-R calipers and rotors are identical to the 1997-2005 OEM. Therefore they should actually fit under a 16" wheel with no spacers.

Ben said:
'05 has reverted back to white "Acura" lettering on the door. '04 has white lettering as well. '03 has the gold lettering.

I think '02 also added the trunk release handle inside the trunk (should you ever get locked inside). An '01 member would need to confirm that it was added in '02.

'04 added keyless entry as standard, and it's the standardized rounded Acura keyless fob (instead of the early '90s vintage rectangular one used from '91-'03). It also blinks the parking lights, as well as has audible beep confirmation on 2nd press.

'04 also made the CD Changer standard, and it's an updated, more compact unit which plays mp3 cds.

'04 also deleted the passenger side power lock switch.

'05 toolkits also have all the cutouts for the missing JDM and EDM tools. Earlier years did not have these cutouts. We would need an owner from each year starting '04 and going back until we find which year starts the older tool trays without all the cutouts.

There may be more, but that's what I thought of off the top of my head.

Sweet! this is the minor details we need.

amgnsx said:
in 04+
The 2004 has a ring on the top of the shift knob. also the CD changer comes standard and its' also MP3 files compatible :smile:

I was also curious about this. Is the 04 shift knob the same as the 05?

TURBO2GO said:
The area around the gauges in the 04's and 05's is black. The gauges have a silver trim ring. These are different than the 02 and 03.

Alright. Thanks for chiming in!

amgnsx said:
in 04+

03 & 02 are the same in every way I've been able to notice. Whats an MP3 anyways:wink: , is that some sort of new rap music?:biggrin: I listen to the stones, fleetwood Mac and Meatloaf with my CD changer (music from the vintage of the car):cool:

Ski_Banker said:
Is this it???? No one else can chime in? Does no one else have an 04 or 05? :biggrin: Sorry... :wink: :tongue:

Yeah there aren't a lot of us which is why I wanted to find out any changes among these last model years. Also I get ticked about a couple of things that happen quite frequently here on Prime.

1. Why don't people ever compare a later model ( i.e 02+ ) NSX to newer sportscars that they purchased. Then list the differences ,because that's a bit more interesting than comparing a truly 15 year old car to a new one. I mean honestly if you think so much of the car why not buy a new/newer one. Do people who a 91 civic buy a new 3 series and then talk about the differences between the two??????

2. Prime members who tell people inquiring about the NSX to buy a 91-93 ( or at the most a 97 ) as there's no difference??? WTF??? No wonder the car had poor sales most followers wouldn't pay for a new one! It's no wonder 91-93 prices don't drop. Most people are told that new ones aren't worth the money ,but old NSX's are because "it's the same car". Talk about market fixing:eek: I studied the changes by model year before purchasing mine as I could see Honda was constantly making either small or large improvements.

3. If the 02+ nose is soooooooo ugly why then is a kit sold to "upgrade" the older models to the new nose. Do they make a kit to change the new nose to the old one?? If someone knows someone who did let me know as I want to see a picture of that:wink:

4. New NSX replacement discussions are usually most vehemently discussed by people who didn't buy the last one new,but want Honda to make this super sportscar that they say "they'll buy" , but are really just ( forgive the lack of a better term ) "frontin". They know dogone well they'll talk about how great it is and then buy a used one( which doesn't help sales at all ).If I ran Honda I wouldn't pay those people any attention as they truly didn't support the last one.

Okay rants over back to topic. Again thanks for any contributed info:biggrin:

Red said:

other:
7) Different suspension
8) all obvious body work

The stereo upgrade on my '95 has this feature (item 10) as well. More valuable than a 3.2L engine.:smile:

Last edited:
These are just changes that we see. There are many changes made unannounced and unseen. I know both Toyota and Honda do this. When you start taking the car apart, all of a sudden the cars are not so much "the same" from year to year. For example, I have seen something as small as this:

Under the dash the same electrical harness that is in my 05 is wrapped in foam... a 98 NSX's I saw wasn't. I am assuming it was to avoid a rattle. How does a small change like this happen? its certainly not announced in a brochure.

I agree in that I think there is too much advice of "get the older car, its the same" on this forum.

TURBO2GO said:
These are just changes that we see. There are many changes made unannounced and unseen. I know both Toyota and Honda do this. When you start taking the car apart, all of a sudden the cars are not so much "the same" from year to year. For example, I have seen something as small as this:

Under the dash the same electrical harness that is in my 05 is wrapped in foam... a 98 NSX's I saw wasn't. I am assuming it was to avoid a rattle. How does a small change like this happen? its certainly not announced in a brochure.

I agree in that I think there is too much advice of "get the older car, its the same" on this forum.

Hey got a picture of your shift knob. I only ask because someone said they're different from 04.

Last edited:
Back