• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Advice on a '91 NSX for sale by dealer JH4NA1153MT000130

What is the most important thing to watch out for when buying a used NSX?

• Panel Gaps (including front bumper)

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Snap Ring (for 91-92 model years)

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Mileage

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Amount and extent of performance modifications if any

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Paint condition

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Leather interior condition

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Audio system modifications if any

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • A/C system

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • condition of windshield glass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maintenance records

Votes: 38 67.9%
  • Vehicle History Report

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Miscellaneous

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters
Re: Need Advice on a '91 NSX for sale by dealer

The interior has been literally cooked from heat exposure. The center consol trim plate has lots of bubbling and the stereo head unit is completely toasted. The volume knob is actually melted and doesn't turn freely. Some of the preset buttons don't depress.

Thats very odd. :confused:
Never heard of that stuff melting, even in Phoenix in high summer

If you do get a PPI, have them test the compression in each cylinder so you know the numbers and that the mechanicals are solid. Have them check the screws in your VVIS plates with a bore scope via the throttle body opening, there is a recent thread about these little buggers.

Moving the bumper up or down for visual alignment with the hood is actually rather easy...there are instructions here on Prime in a bumper remove/replace thread. I'm guessing that whoever removed/replaced the bumper, perhaps for painting or replacement, didn't line those brackets up 100%

So did you look at the frame in the front under the hood?
There should be no, as in zero, difference from left to right in appearance and dimensions. I believe there is a picture in the factory service manual or the body manual that has the factory spec dimensions for the front. If you have a PPI performed, be sure the front end is measured to spec. to verify that the frame isn't out of whack which is still quite possible even if you don't see really obvious visual clues. (Shawn can eyeball it though :biggrin: )

Thats very odd. :confused:
Never heard of that stuff melting, even in Phoenix in high summer

If you do get a PPI, have them test the compression in each cylinder so you know the numbers and that the mechanicals are solid. Have them check the screws in your VVIS plates with a bore scope via the throttle body opening, there is a recent thread about these little buggers.

Moving the bumper up or down for visual alignment with the hood is actually rather easy...there are instructions here on Prime in a bumper remove/replace thread. I'm guessing that whoever removed/replaced the bumper, perhaps for painting or replacement, didn't line those brackets up 100%

So did you look at the frame in the front under the hood?
There should be no, as in zero, difference from left to right in appearance and dimensions. I believe there is a picture in the factory service manual or the body manual that has the factory spec dimensions for the front. If you have a PPI performed, be sure the front end is measured to spec. to verify that the frame isn't out of whack which is still quite possible even if you don't see really obvious visual clues. (Shawn can eyeball it though :biggrin: )

The dealer said the previous owner lived in LA. I guess he didn't garage it and combined with the black top and black interior, the heat build-up was enough to melt the radio buttons. It's odd that the climate control wasn't affected. Maybe the climate control unit had been replaced at some point.

Interesting note about the VVIS screws. I'll make sure they check those and the compression as well.

I'm guessing the bumper was not removed for painting. I can't see how the brackets would have been reinstalled out of alignment like that. It's really something that couldn't have been missed if they had actually taken the bumper apart. It will have to be taken off, however, to asses the extent of the damage. I'm sure the brackets holding the upper half of the bumper are bent as well. Otherwise there would be separation between the two halves and the gap between the hood and upper bumper would not be misaligned. I don't have a repair manual so I can't get a very good diagram of the parts that make up the bumper assembly and how they fit together. Do you know of a place to find one for free on the internet? I'd rather not have to buy a manual before I commit to buying the car.

I did pop the hood to see if I could detect any misaligned brackets or beams where the bumper bolts onto the front end, but other than the previously mentioned brackets and panel misalignments, I didn't notice anything else obvious. I guess you would need some sort of laser alignment tools or something to be sure, though. I also don't have Shawn's eyeballing capability. I'll probably take the pictures to a dealership or my friend's body shop before I bring the whole car in for an inspection. I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks for the advice, RedWings.

Last edited:

For ~$27k I personally would pass on this car.

My car happens to be in snap ring range, I was told it was repaired but don't have any documentation of proof. But it was too nice and the price was right, so I went through with the deal. No regrests.

I may tend to take risks at times, but also realize there is a chance I could end up with an upgraded transmission at some point.

I would think for $27k you could find a nicer NSX if you keep looking. Then again, I haven't kept a close eye on the market lately. Spring is approaching and prices may also start to rise as the weather gets nicer.

Tim's advise was good. He spent quite a bit to get all the maintenance up to date on his 91 NSX. The person who purchased that car, got one that had it's maintenance up to date.

I'm not sure about $300 for the roof. I spent $225 a few years back to have my WW front lip repaired and re-sprayed. And that was the best price I found at a good body shop, some estimates were ~$600 or so. The higest one was from a shop that told me they would have to remove the whole front nose/bumper, when all that was needed was to remove the lip.

But since you have a friend with a body shop that could make a big difference in price. It shouldn't be that tough or labor intensive to fix the roof. Many like the same color roof as the car & have painted their roof.

The black top has grown on me and I like the gloss black top.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Last edited:

For ~$27k I personally would pass on this car.

My car happens to be in snap ring range, I was told it was repaired but don't have any documentation of proof. But it was too nice and the price was right, so I went through with the deal. No regrests.

I may tend to take risks at times, but also realize there is a chance I could end up with an upgraded transmission at some point.

I would think for $27k you could find a nicer NSX if you keep looking. Then again, I haven't kept a close eye on the market lately. Spring is approaching and prices may also start to rise as the weather gets nicer.

Tim's advise was good. He spent quite a bit to get all the maintenance up to date on his 91 NSX. The person who purchased that car, got one that had it's maintenance up to date.

I'm not sure about $300 for the roof. I spent $225 a few years back to have my WW front lip repaired and re-sprayed. And that was the best price I found at a good body shop, some estimates were ~$600 or so. The higest one was from a shop that told me they would have to remove the whole front nose/bumper, when all that was needed was to remove the lip.

But since you have a friend with a body shop that could make a big difference in price. It shouldn't be that tough or labor intensive to fix the roof. Many like the same color roof as the car & have painted their roof.

The black top has grown on me and I like the gloss black top.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Ya, I'm still contemplating my options. I'm sure there are nicer ones out there for less money from private sellers, but I'm still deciding on my financing options.

I'm still most concerned about the front bumper. I'll check the transmission serial number once I have a body shop check out the front bumper. One step at a time.

I definitely like the black top better than the body color top on the early nineties cars. If it was a newer car post-facelift, I'd prefer body color top.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks, rbilder.

Ya, I'm still contemplating my options. I'm sure there are nicer ones out there for less money from private sellers, but I'm still deciding on my financing options.

For financing options there is only one answer: PenFed. They just look at the NADA "high retail" value and nothing else. I think the lady said if it has over 100k then you can only do a 24 month term.

Overall I'm blown away to get 2.49% on a 12 year old car

For financing options there is only one answer: PenFed. They just look at the NADA "high retail" value and nothing else. I think the lady said if it has over 100k then you can only do a 24 month term.

Overall I'm blown away to get 2.49% on a 12 year old car

Cool. Thanks. I'll check it out.

Anyone notice how early the VIN was? :eek:

Nah, that would actually probably mean it was more than likely out of the range, but that's a pretty early VIN car.

I think I'd be concerned about the interior melting!??

I'm in Virginia and daily drove two different NSX for ten years (black/ivory then black/black) and parked it outside in the summertime a lot (we got over 90 outside) and never had anything like that happen.

The ivory car had a moonroof and I never closed the shade panel.

It can be hard to wait, or find the right one, but there were a good number of early NSXs sold. There is also a couple of NSX inspection checklists in the Wiki.

PS The service manuals are also in the Wiki:

Service Manuals

Last edited:

I think I'd be concerned about the interior melting!??

I'm in Virginia and daily drove two different NSX for ten years (black/ivory then black/black) and parked it outside in the summertime a lot (we got over 90 outside) and never had anything like that happen.

The ivory car had a moonroof and I never closed the shade panel.

It can be hard to wait, or find the right one, but there were a good number of early NSXs sold. There is also a couple of NSX inspection checklists in the Wiki.

PS The service manuals are also in the Wiki:

Service Manuals

Ya, the interior melting is pretty weird. How hot would it have to be for this to happen, I wonder?

Thanks for the link to service manuals. I've been trying to get one for free.

Has anyone else been to look at this car? I see it's still listed...

Back