• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need alignment advice for new tires

Hello Fellow NSXers. What a great site! I could really use some advice. We have a '91, red, 5spd which we bought in Jan. 1998. I guess you would call it a garage queen, since it only has about 8600 miles on it. It has the original tires, with the rear ones being totally bald. We only drive it to lunch occasionally or to car shows, but every minute is still a thrill. We finally bought a set of new Yokahama S-Drives on-line in the original sizes. I have several important questions: Do I need to get the car aligned after having the new tires installed? If so, should I let them just go ahead and use the standard alignment values? If not, what should I tell them? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I would always have the car re-alligned after a new tire install. An allignment is a very presice prosedure. I think even different brand of tires would need to be alligned. A friend of mine that has been in the auto body business for about 20 years says that sears is the place for an allignment, even the NSX. Just my .02

A friend of mine that has been in the auto body business for about 20 years says that sears is the place for an allignment, even the NSX. Just my .02

I think thats probably a horrible general statement. I wouldn't trust 99% of Sears with my battery replacement, let alone an alignment.

Ask around (here) and find a good local independent shop. I have a local place that is absolutely a rat trap but the guy is nice, does excellent work, and is fairly priced.

Many alignment racks actually use the reference point as the wheels/rims and not the tires. This is how many Hunter Alignment racks work. Technically, if that was used as the reference point to begin with, then there is no need to do an alignment if you haven't done something to mess it up in the first place.

Being that your car is so old, however, it won't hurt to get an alignment done.

As for specs. The 1991-1992 spec has a more aggressive toe in in the rear than say the 1993+. Details can be found here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Alignment

Which spec is right for you is up to you to decide, however by what you describe it sounds like the less aggressive 1993+ spec would probably be best for your application.

OK, lets say I do get it aligned after putting on the new tires. Should they just use standard values or should I tell them something different?

If they have a Hunter system, all the values are measured in degrees. Whereas the spec is written in millimeters of toe. I'm not sure how to convert from one to the other.

Back