• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help? My clutch went to the floor and fluid leaking underneath

I suspect the master cylinder problem that caused the leaking. I guess I need to replace both master and slave cylinders. Where can I order them? I would appreciate your help after I receive the parts on how to take out and install them back. Pictures or videos would be helpful.

Reference the factory service manual for your model year, if you don't have one now would be a good time if you're doing DIY stuff like this. https://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991_svcman/1991servman.pdf

You can get a Centric master and slave cyl off Rockauto for very cheap, or order from a vendor in Japan for an OEM one if you'd prefer that. A US dealer will be quite a bit more expensive than either option.

There are some threads here floating around for replacement, use the forum search. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/34999-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-DIY is good. The slave cyl replacement is very easy, at most you can remove the shift cable covers to get better access. You don't need to bench bleed the master before installation, just make sure you thoroughly bleed the line with matching DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid once you replace everything. Should be easier than doing brakes but on jack stands you'll be on your back for quite a while.

It seems the centric clutch slave is oem.

It is easy enough to swap in a new slave.

I've had a cylinder pull off the transmission housing due to bolt over torque. I put it all back together with max depth bolts and washer shims with trial/error. Lasted until the snap ring broke and I replaced the housing...all problems solved.

My clutch fluid is leaking near the transmission. Not inside the car underneath the carpet. I don’t know how to upload the pictures

Leak near the transmission means either a clutch line fitting is loose/broken or the slave cylinder "blew its brains out" as the great LarryB used to say. Best to replace both master and slave in this instance. If you replace the slave cylinder, make sure to lubricate the push rod and the cup on the clutch fork with Honda Urea grease. A lot of shops forget this critical step or use the wrong grease.

What is the vintage and mileage of your car? When was the last time fluids were flushed? If its high mileage I would plan for both the slave and master cylinder replacement. You are going to be refilling and bleeding the system so avoid the hassle of the re bleed when the MC fails - which it probably will.

Chances are that a MC or slave cylinder is going to be a special order from any dealership in Canada. I have been ordering a lot of parts lately for my NSX timing belt and cooling hose project and the last batch of parts that I got from Amayama.com in Japan arrived in 8 days using their basic delivery service - faster than ordering from Rock Auto. In fact, the delivered cost of the last couple of OEM parts that I got from Amayama were cheaper than aftermarket parts from Rock Auto. Little tip, if you break the order up into separate shipments with a $ value that is around $150 Cdn or less CBSA so far has waived collection of import tariffs and taxes.

You can search Amayama's site for the part number; but, it is not the easiest system to use. Go here:

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/

Enter your vehicle data - the parts diagrams are generally easier to use than on Amayama's site. Get the part number and enter it on Amayama's part search bar to find the price and shipping cost. As a bonus, Amayama quotes in Cdn $ if you request that and accepts payment in Cdn $ so you don't get hit with currency exchange fees at your bank.

Slave

I got my slave cylinder from Rock Auto for less than $50. You cannot tell the difference from the original. I got the master from them also. Do a search on the forum for install tips. One tip on the slave installation is to push the lever back and reinstall the plastic insert or dust cover on the fluid line to hold the lever back. If you don't do this, you will be fighting the throw out bearing. Jerry

which brands are the cmc and csc from Rockauto?

I got my slave cylinder from Rock Auto for less than $50. You cannot tell the difference from the original. I got the master from them also. Do a search on the forum for install tips. One tip on the slave installation is to push the lever back and reinstall the plastic insert or dust cover on the fluid line to hold the lever back. If you don't do this, you will be fighting the throw out bearing. Jerry

The Rock Auto ship appears to have sailed. Some time ago, out of curiosity (on a 20 year old car spare MCs and slaves might not be a bad thing to have on hand) I was checking the Rock Auto website and they no longer list any clutch related parts for my 2000 NSX. That is probably because Centric (and others) no longer list MCs and slaves for the NSX clutch (they were probably all the same supplier).

Rock Auto (and Centric) still list the brake MC as available along with a large range of the other brake parts. That is probably because there is more turn over in brake parts; but, don't be surprised if the brake MC is delisted soon. Discount vendors like Rock Auto make money on volume and at some point if turn over on parts drops too low the listings will disappear. Dusty inventory is just unemployed capital.

If the OP wants a new clutch MC or slave, if he can't find it in somebodies dusty parts bin inventory I expect he needs to go to the dealership, Amayama, JP-CarParts or Mita Motorsports.

Last edited:
I would suspect that Centric is awaiting a new batch by the OEM.

If Honda still has it, then eventually it would be reasonable that it will in Centric's hands again.

I also recommend S&L Brake Supply in La Crescenta as they are good at procuring OEM parts.

I had both of mine done and went OEM. I want to keep all parts OEM...but that is a personal preference. I just didn't want to run any risk of part failure for this job as that master cylinder job is not one I want to pay to have done twice (I won't even consider doing it as I wouldn't fare well on my back on the floor of the car.)

First I thank you guys for your suggestions. My NSX IS 1999 and 36000 miles on it. I checked the website of Amayama and they are permanent out of stock. Since I am going to change master and slave cylinder clutch might as well order parts for doing timing belt too. Where is the website to order all these parts? Thanks again.

Chances are that you typed the part number in incorrectly. Substituting an O for a zero is a common error. If you type the part number in incorrectly, Amayama's web site just comes back with permanently out of stock rather than part number not found.

Anyone heard or has experience with LUK or Adler brand clutch master and slave cylinders? How are they compared to OEM or Centric's? Thx.

Back