• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Help. Upgrade speakers, Keep deck

Like most other owners, I am getting tired of the factory Bose door speakers freaking out of me. I have replaced the speaker/amp combo a few times and now I'm done with it.

Is it possible to keep the factory deck and replace the door speakers with aftermarket speakers and amp(s)?

I was thinking it would be nice to keep the factory sub and center fill speaker, but upgrade the door stuff.

If it IS possible, could you give me some details and suggestions on where to mount the aftermarket amp?

Thanks.

-FurBall

Hi Furball - looks like you're realtively new here - your idea is quite do-able & good news is if you Search you will find lots of examples, including pics of what you would like to do.
Here's a couple to get you on your way -
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22301&highlight=subwoofer
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22306
Kpond's idea is pretty original & makes for a really clean install -
I think if you add an external amplifier & better door speakers, you will essentially not see much additional gain from leaving the stock "subwoofer" in place; however if you decide to retain the "sub" & locate your amp in the trunk or behind the passenger seat, it won't do any harm & of course the stock system will provide the capability to do that (bearing in mind that the sub amp will likely go the way of the door amps eventually!)
I have been lobbying for a forum specifically on the sound/entertainment system, which is a very popular subject - you can add your support for it here, which would make it much easier to research the type of info you are looking for.
Good luck with your project

Thanks

D'Ecosse,
Thanks for the link about the tweeter replacement. I too have MB Quarts tweets but actually are mounted in the trim panel itself. Although it looks very good and stock, I love the idea of mounting them in the upper corner of the door.

D'Ecosse,

Assuming you use an aftermarket system with high quality components, and your current Bose system lasts you 2-4 years, how long would said high quality aftermarket system last in comparison?

If the aftermarket system did break, in say 4-5 years, would it most likely be the amplifiers and not the speakers, like our current Bose setup? If so, and the amplifier was merely sitting in the trunk, this would be easy to remedy.

Perhaps we could use Boston Acoustic, or MB Quartz as our example of high end equipment? Are there quite a few higher end brands out there you would recommend?

I would hate to purchase a 1k-2k system and the have to replace it as often as the Bose system.

Thanks D'Ecosse

Edwardo, I'd quantify the chances of having failures with a good quality after-market system as pretty low - if people do blow amps or speakers, they are usually as a result of a mis-match or being over-driven beyond their intended range. Todays MOSFET amps have extremely low distortion figures even in moderatly priced items - about the only way you can blow a speaker is to drive too much power into it. Modern electronics in general are extremely reliable - think of your household equipment, TV, HiFi etc - these last "forever" these days.
The problem specifically with the Bose is that the capacitors used are of a low grade with minimal voltage overhead for the application - they deteriorate and leak, often causing other component failures. Overall it's a very poor design from a reliability standpoint & we suffer along with Nissan 300ZX & Corvette owners amongst others with this problem. (My 300ZXTT had 4 of 5 speakers blown!!)
Especially if you are talking about the $ figures & quality names in your e-mail you should quite reasonably expect the equipment to last as long as you will use it. I'm not saying it'll never happen but is the exception rather than the expected with the Bose.

D'Ecosse,

Thank you very much. I replaced my Bose amps this last time. I think the system sounds pretty good stock. However, I did the installation myself and it was no easy task. I do not want to do it again.

In the future, I will be going with an aftermarket solution.

Thanks again.

Is it possible to use an aftermarket amp and connect it directly to the pre-outs on the factory deck, or do I have to get some sort of converter to interface the Bose pre-out signal with an aftermarket amp?

-FurBall

FurBall said:
Is it possible to use an aftermarket amp and connect it directly to the pre-outs on the factory deck, or do I have to get some sort of converter to interface the Bose pre-out signal with an aftermarket amp?
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22306 - if you read through this post (already referenced further up in this thread) it will show you exactly how to do it - no converter is necessary for signal conditioning although an adapter interface for the wiring will make it more convenient - directions & source for parts is included in the thread.

Back