• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need some thoughts on dealing with Goodyear

First, I am an NSX owner but I also have an EVO 8 MR for my daily driver. My son did an SCCA PDX school several weekends ago, it was his third time. He has done this school with Advans and cheap all season Hankook tires without any issues. This year I put on brand new Eagle F1-GS tires. The track was very cool, ambient temps were in the 40s. These "Ultra High Performance" tires are now trashed. Goodyear will not do anything because they were on the track. They will also not give me an explanation as to why 16 other cars had zero tire issues.

Should I take pictures and post them along with a description of my experience on every auto related website. These tires are not safe and I don't anyone to buy these tires and waste their money like I did.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

BTW, Just got the NSX back together with new brakes and the Bilstein shocks. IMO the car looks perfect with the 17/18 wheel combo and is still streetable.

... This year I put on brand new Eagle F1-GS tires. The track was very cool, ambient temps were in the 40s. These "Ultra High Performance" tires are now trashed. Goodyear will not do anything because they were on the track. They will also not give me an explanation as to why 16 other cars had zero tire issues.

:confused: Were you in the NSX, and were there 16 other NSX's with the same tire?

...These tires are not safe and I don't anyone to buy these tires and waste their money like I did.

:confused: Why are they unsafe? You used them on a track where the conditions are more harsh than on the road. Did you have a blow out?? Did the bead come off of the rim and cause you to crash?? I don't understand your justification for telling us not to buy this tire. I happen to have the GS-D3 FI on my NSX, and they fell awesome. I couldn't imagine going back to a lessor and cheaper tire again.

The right front is severly flared and it is throwing chunks of rubber. The left front not as bad but I would never take them out to another PDX.

My son has done this event two previous times as I said. No problems with other manufacturer's. No tire issues with the other cars at the track. This tire is marketed as "Ultra High Performance." It should be able to handle 6 20 minute sessions like every other tire I've had on the car and every other tire that did the same event.

There is no question in my mind that if I had run them last summer when the track temp was 143 degrees the would have failed. Hankook all seasons held up to those conditions and delivered 30,000 miles of service.

These tires were run on my evo not my NSX.

I will neverf purchase another Goodyear tire and I warn anyone about their apparrent anability to be used in a high performance manner. If I were a goodyear tire engineer I would want to see these POS tires.

I will post pics when I get them off the car, I am going back to the Advans even thought they are only good for about 12,000 miles. I will not have to worry about them falling apart.

I noted that the tires that you are having problem with are the F1-GS

This is NOT the same tire most that most of the folks here have on their NSX

The Goodyear tire most NSX's use is the F1 GS-D3!!!! This is a totally different tire than the F1-GS you are using and have had problems with.

Maybe you should try the F1 GS-D3 that we who drive NSX's have had fewer problems with!

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS:
gy_eagle_f1_gs_emt.jpg

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3:
gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci2_l.jpg

Which do you have?

BTW: When I saw this thread and your handle, I thought to myself "I didn't create this thread..." Haha, our names are too much alike.

This year I put on brand new Eagle F1-GS tires. The track was very cool, ambient temps were in the 40s. These "Ultra High Performance" tires are now trashed. Goodyear will not do anything because they were on the track...

Quoted directly from Tire Rack:

"Engineered with a directional tread design and race-bred dual Aquachannels, Eagle F1 GS gives serious wet traction for today's performance-minded individual. Dual Aquachannels mean unparalleled stability and traction under wet conditions, as well as reduced hydroplaning. Goodyear's exclusive AATRAX tread compound offers outstanding treadwear without sacrificing traction or noise reduction, however like all summer tires, Eagle F1 GS tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice. Its smooth, quiet ride is the result of its unique pitch sequence, while spirally wound nylon overlays give Eagle F1 GS a smooth, disturbance-free operation, even at high speeds. An angled ply construction and multi-radius profile offer precise steering and uniform wear. It's ultra-high performance at Goodyear's best."

I think you need to place the blame somewhere other than the manufacturer.

Thanks for the 'heads up' but I don't think it's worth your time or the hassle to make a big deal out of this. It's just a set of tires and it seems you go through those often. Don't buy this tire again, problem solved.

I agree, I'd be heavily agitated but 'ultra high performance' tires typically don't fair so well in near freezing temps, I think that's more or less common knowledge in regards to street tires.

Can you post some pics of what is happening? Goodyear refusing to do anything is not surprising if you mentioned "track"....though it'd be nice if they would honor the warranty.

Quoted directly from Tire Rack:

"Engineered with a directional tread design and race-bred dual Aquachannels, Eagle F1 GS gives serious wet traction for today's performance-minded individual. Dual Aquachannels mean unparalleled stability and traction under wet conditions, as well as reduced hydroplaning. Goodyear's exclusive AATRAX tread compound offers outstanding treadwear without sacrificing traction or noise reduction, however like all summer tires, Eagle F1 GS tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice. Its smooth, quiet ride is the result of its unique pitch sequence, while spirally wound nylon overlays give Eagle F1 GS a smooth, disturbance-free operation, even at high speeds. An angled ply construction and multi-radius profile offer precise steering and uniform wear. It's ultra-high performance at Goodyear's best."

I think you need to place the blame somewhere other than the manufacturer.

Seems there is a optimum operating temperture range for these tires :frown:

I agree, I'd be heavily agitated but 'ultra high performance' tires typically don't fair so well in near freezing temps, I think that's more or less common knowledge in regards to street tires.

I think common knowledge is that they don't perform well near freezing temps, not that the tire will fall apart if used near freezing temps.

I think common knowledge is that they don't perform well near freezing temps, not that the tire will fall apart if used near freezing temps.

I completely agree, I just think it's not worth the hassle based on the common experiences with tire companies I've heard of. Best case scenario is you spend a couple hours on the phone arguing, make a couple trips to the place you bought them, etc. with a 10% chance of getting your money back. If there truly was something horribly wrong with the tires Goodyear would probably give your $ back right away given they aren't too unusual types of tires.

I try to buy as many tires as I can from the local Discount Tire, they typically have good customer service although I've had one bad experience with them as well. One time they took almost 3 weeks to get some Yoko's I needed to put on a 91 300zx Turbo I was selling to a gentleman out of state who was driving the car back. They 'swore' the absolute max would be 2 weeks. I ended up putting the tires on WHILE the gentleman was sitting at my house..

My bet is that your son got faster and drive the car harder than before. Any street tire with significant thread will chunk. Heck even R compound with significant thread will chunk if driven hard enough. That's why they shave tires for competition.

Back