• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need to change coolant hoses?

I have a 91 with 60k and am getting a new timing belt, water pump, etc for the 60k tune-up and have heard that it is a good idea to get the coolant hoses replaced. Is that really necessary? My mechanic sugested not to do it because the hoses looked to be in great shape, but can you really tell by visual inspection? Coolant has been replaced every 10k. Is it a pain to replace the hoses...I am not looking to save a few bucks, just want to avoid doing uncessary work.

What do you think?

I just replaced mine, my car is the same as yours - 91, 60K miles, all services. Mine too 'looked' fine but when removed from their fittings and twisted, all the fibers inside cracked (you can hear them) and tore. One of the larger hoses that runs under the coolant reservoir was visibly bulged too. I strongly recommend replacing them. And it is a pain if you're inexperienced.

Yup. Rubber dries out, cracks, and weakens over time, and those hoses are 15-16 years old. :eek: You can have it done along with the water pump, when access to the hoses is easier and when you're replacing the coolant anyway, or you can risk having one fail when you're out on the road, at a time when it will be extremely inconvenient to pull over and have to deal with it.

It's not all that much in terms of labor or parts cost, either...

Dali sells comlpete hose kits. Much easier than tracking down each individual part number and cheaper than any dealer will sell them to you for as well.

Mine blew on my 91 last summer, cost for the hoses are cheap I think I paid no more than $50CND for both. I'll tell you nothing more of a hassle when they do blow, you need to replace and rebleed the entire system. Since your doing your timing belt service I would change these at the same time. Just some preventative maintence! :wink:

Guys, thanks for the expertise.

Hugh, I checked out the Dali site and found three differnt "kits". Which do I need?

22 hoses for $255
6 hoses for $135
2 hoses for $40

Do I need to order the 22 hose kit and change everythign or will the 6 or 2 hose kits be enough since I assume those are thee main hoses that take most of the beating? I don't track my car....if that makes a differnce.

I had my upper radiator hose blow(split like a c-section) on me while I was at an event this past weekend. It really sucked.

If you're really lazy the 2 hose kit is the absolute minimum. But I mean seriously, while you're at it you might as well go for the other 4 too. Get the 6 hose kit. The 22 hose kit is probably a little overkill. I doubt there are 16 other small coolant lines on the car anyway, I think that kit is basically to replace every hose in the engine bay...

majdoob said:
Do I need to order the 22 hose kit and change everythign or will the 6 or 2 hose kits be enough since I assume those are thee main hoses that take most of the beating? I don't track my car....if that makes a differnce.

Yes all 22 is what is being recommened but if you ask the question in enough different ways I am sure you will get the answer you what to hear. :rolleyes:
Loss of coolant is the 2nd fastest way to wreck your very expensive NSX engine.

And Yes, there are that many hoses in the cooling system. Changed them all myself a couple years ago on my '93. At the same time as the timing belt and water pump.

I had one of the hoses that run under the coolant tank blow last year, although it looked just fine beforehand. I really don't want to go through that again, so I had the majority of my hoses replaced last week. Also, another hose that is neglected is the hose that runs to the oil cooler right by the oil filter.

Last edited:
I changed all of the cooling hoses. Took about 8 hours but it's something pretty much anyone could do. Good luck.

5562partsreplaced1.jpg

I recently did the T belt and water pump on my '97 with 38,000 miles and changed all 22 hoses, better safe then stranded IMO. DaveG is doing the same in his '99 with 9,000 miles :eek: Why take a chance, if you can afford the NSX take proper care of it :biggrin:

Replace them all. Yes, all of them.

Your cooling system is only as good as the weakest hose. I see no point in replacing only a "few links" when any other link can fail and cause the same exact failure.

I found the softest hoses to be the ones that feed the oil cooler.

Search the forums, a few other folks and I have detailed the replacement process.

I see that you are listing the prices of the parts, which indicates you are really concerned about that aspect more than anything. It is very difficult to determine if you have a hose failure on the NSX before it is too late, then you will really be spending the money!

Replace them all. It will also give you a chance to go over the entire car and look for other problems.

Drew

I was wondering the same thing. Instead of starting new thread I will ask the question I have here, hope it is ok with the threadstarter :)

I will not replace timingbelt myself, a friend (mechanic) will do it for me.

But I want to replace these hoses by myself. I have no mechanical experience. Is this a DIY or leave it to someone experienced project?

Thanks...

goldNSX said:
What's the fastest way? :) Oil?

Without oil the engine is probably dead before leaving the garage :) Second fastest way to kill the engine is if timingbelt breaks? Sorry off topic.

drew said:
Replace them all. Yes, all of them.

Your cooling system is only as good as the weakest hose. I see no point in replacing only a "few links" when any other link can fail and cause the same exact failure.

I found the softest hoses to be the ones that feed the oil cooler.
Drew is correct. I speak from experience in saying that a burst little hose will ruin your day just as well as a burst big hose. Why do a half-fast job when you can replace them all and be done with it?

Another fast way to wreck your very expensive NSX engine is by shifting into the wrong gear and overrevving as a result; for example, as you approach redline in third, accidentally shifting into second instead of fourth. That's why they call such a mistake a "money shift".

nsxtasy said:
Another fast way to wreck your very expensive NSX engine is by shifting into the wrong gear and overrevving as a result; for example, as you approach redline in third, accidentally shifting into second instead of fourth. That's why they call such a mistake a "money shift".

Mitsu 3000 VR4 did that exact thing at RA last month. Ouch!

This is what happened to one of my radiator hoses from the firewall to the engine 2 days ago in the morning on a freeway. This is the passenger side hose and got 3-inch long crack when I was speeding up to 100mph. Then white smog filled my rear view mirror and I thought I blew the engine.

Fortunately, the engine kept running so I started pay attention on the temp gauge, which needle kept going toward higher. In the end, I was able to pull the car off the freeway and parked in a safe area.

I found the hose got a clean straight crack when I opened the rear hatch and able to replaced it in the afternoon.

So I plan to replace all 6 hoses now and ordered them through a local Acura that day too.

blowhose%20001.jpg

blowhose%20002.jpg

Back