• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need to change coolant hoses?

Sugoi, that is the exact same problem on the exact same hose I had, luckily i caught it before it burst. You can see all the threads in that area were breaking, the hose has lost its 'texture' there and is bulging outward. Everyone should definitely replace those 2 'Dos Amigos' hoses.

As for the little hoses, one of the little 'bypass' hoses was leaking when I bought the car, I was lucky to make it home to Ohio from New York with it. There was no coolant left in the reservoir but fortunately the radiator was still full. When I replaced my hoses many of the smaller ones, including the oil cooler hoses would 'crackle' when twisted. I really recommend replacing all of them.

It's a DIY job if you have a good lift, some silicone lube and a large variety of pliers, otherwise leave it to the pros.

Chris@SoS said:
I'd recommend replacing the two rear main coolant hoses and the two front main hoses at a minimum. These take the brunt of the pressure and are most likely to burst. Otherwise, we sell the complete kit here:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/coolant_hose_kit/

take care,
-- Chris

What a coincidence!! My engine is pulled and the upper half is being upgraded, I had the water pump and timing belt changed; however, just the other day I was talking to a fellow NSX buddy and we realized that this is a good time to change all the hoses. I had no idea that SoS had the entire kit for sale. Excellent. I will be giving you guys a call soon.

Aaaah Science of Speed. I love you guys.

Chris@SoS said:
I'd recommend replacing the two rear main coolant hoses and the two front main hoses at a minimum. These take the brunt of the pressure and are most likely to burst. Otherwise, we sell the complete kit here:

First question:
Just out of curiosity, just how high does the pressure get in the NSX cooling system. And whatever the pressure is, is it higher than in other cars ??

Second question:
If you plan on doing the replacement yourself, do you need a lift to put the car on or can you do it just as easy by putting the car on some jack stands?

Chris at SoS has the same kit, +/- $275 if my memory serves me well.

What about them silicone hoses?

I see Dali offers silicone hoses for the 6 big ones http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1284

And Hoover's company offers silicone hoses for turbos and cooling systems though they don't mention kits: http://www.turbohoses.com/index.html

Any "real" advantage of replacing 6 of the hoses with silicone hoses - especially given track conditions? If so, I presume the 6 get the most abuse and then what about the other 16? I don't see a separate kit being offered ........

Hrant said:
Any "real" advantage of replacing 6 of the hoses with silicone hoses
The advantage of the silicone hoses is that they're available in the Playskool colors! :D

Back