• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need to replace clutch. Which one should I get?

amayama is awesome, and they still sell just the friction discs
https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-...x/1991_5MT/21668/engine/E__1800?p=9&fromMap=1

Heck, as long as the clutch grabs and the surfaces are ok...I just keep replacing discs. Never had a problem in dozens of cars over decades (I'm old now).

Agree. As long as the friction surfaces on the midplate and flywheel are within spec, you can just take all your parts to a clutch shop and they can recondition the whole thing for much less money than buying a new kit, including replacing the spring on the pressure plate. That way, you get new friction material and perfectly flat and prepared friction surfaces.

I learned to prep the flywheel with a flat sanding block and 600 grit, scrubbing in very light, even circles over the surface. But, a shop will have the correct tooling to do a much better job.

amayama does seem very awesome. And they're projected shipping/delivery dates seem very reasonable.
Might have to cancel an order I have in with Tim at oemacuraparts that has no updated availability status (and is significantly more expensive).

edit:
Never mind, just checked with Tim, order ETA next week. Darn. But I'll definitely have to keep amayama in mind for other big purchases (lesson learned, lol).

Last edited:
+1 Amayama, I have approx. $6000 of parts ordered from them over the past year and everything has been perfect. Shipping now is expensive, i.e. if you want a sensor and throw in a larger item the cost for Fedex goes from $30 to $120, if you remove the large item from your order they don't change the shipping, you have to start a new order to get a new shipping quote or message them which is the one thing that I'm not happy with.

for me the lighter flywheel makes the car "sportier"

Solid choice. Good luck!

Went with an SOS 275. It will be awhile before it's in but I'll report back.

I have the SOS 275 installed on my 92 last summer, and I can say it's a very nice clutch, the pedal feel is like the OEM, the SOS web says it's 11lb lighter, I am not sure it's the flywheel or the whole assembly.

Overall I like it very much.

I have the SOS 275 installed on my 92 last summer, and I can say it's a very nice clutch, the pedal feel is like the OEM, the SOS web says it's 11lb lighter, I am not sure it's the flywheel or the whole assembly.

Overall I like it very much.

Thanks for the feedback, it's always nice to feel better about a purchase. :smile: From what I can tell, SOS lists the assembly weight versus the flywheel weight, which makes sense.

Hey e9coupe - did you ever get the SoS clutch installed? How are you liking it compared to OEM?
Funny you should ask. I'm just now getting around to working on the car and it's one of three projects I have going on so it's slow. I managed to get it up on stands and started disconnecting things. May still take a few months at this rate. I'll report back when it's on the road.

I have recently installed the stock twin disc paired with a Fidanza lightweight flywheel. This is coming off of a OS Giken STR2C. LMK if anyone wants impressions on either of these setups. I've also tried the FX300 Clutchmasters and some other random other ones in other cars like the Comptech and twin carbon RPS.

Hi all, my garage fitted a OSGiken clutch now having great difficulty in getting it to work correctly. Is there anything that needs to be done differently ?? The clutch has been bled on a number of occasions and we are certain there is no air in the system.

Hi all, my garage fitted a OSGiken clutch now having great difficulty in getting it to work correctly. Is there anything that needs to be done differently ?? The clutch has been bled on a number of occasions and we are certain there is no air in the system.
The OSG is very finicky- it requires very precise adjustment. Are you sure your slave cylinder (I believe it's a Mitsubishi sourced unit for that kit) isn't bad? I would confirm that the slave cylinder is moving when the clutch pedal is pressed before opening up the trans.

I really like my OSG. I have the Fidanza on the stock discs and I'm eager to go back to the OSG.

The trick is you must not be shy about giving it high revs and slip the clutch. The clutch discs are super durable and wears like they were diamond tipped. You'll figure out the bite spot and once you do.. it's excellent (IMO)

It will feel like an on/off switch if you try to drive it like a stock clutch that's rather dull and w/o much "feel" for the precise bite point.

I've heard that the twin organic from exedy doesn't have the same noise as other twin discs, have you tried this one? I'm curious how the exedy twin organic and the SOS 350 compare. The SOS is cheaper, lighter, single-disc and I've seen good reviews, however, I've seen good reviews on the exedy as well and I believe the oem is made by exedy.

I've heard that the twin organic from exedy doesn't have the same noise as other twin discs, have you tried this one?
For what it's worth I have the Exedy twin organic, replacing a stock NA2 single disc (along with the double spline gear box shaft..) and it's indeed very silent compared to the stock single plate that used to rattle when disengaged. You can still hear a faint "clonk" noise behind you when engaging, but that's it, no shudder, no rattle. OEM-like, probably quite like the stock NA1 clutch I suppose. Pedal feeling is very slightly heavier than the stock one maybe, but you dont feel the difference after a while.

The OSG is very finicky- it requires very precise adjustment. Are you sure your slave cylinder (I believe it's a Mitsubishi sourced unit for that kit) isn't bad? I would confirm that the slave cylinder is moving when the clutch pedal is pressed before opening up the trans.
Many thanks, I will pass your comments onto the garage

Back