• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

never seen so many NSX for sale

It's possible that this down turn in the economic and hard times is causing a lot of owner to sale their X. Have been seeing so many at unbelievable prices. Do you think?

1. the NSX is less desirable now?
2. will the price ever go back up?
3. how desirable is the nsx as a collectible sports car for the future.

would love to hear your thoughts and comments

Anesthesia

It's possible that this down turn in the economic and hard times is causing a lot of owner to sale their X. Have been seeing so many at unbelievable prices. Do you think?

1. the NSX is less desirable now?
2. will the price ever go back up?
3. how desirable is the nsx as a collectible sports car for the future.

would love to hear your thoughts and comments

Anesthesia

I don't think I'd ever buy a car assuming that the price will go up. I doubt these cars are any less desirable now, people just have no choice. Looking at the for sale ads it is pretty clear that a large percentage of the cars for sale are because the owner has no choice.

I got my car because I wanted one, not because of anything it may or may not be in the future. As time goes by less of them will still be around or in decent shape, so who knows what the future will hold.

My NSX will be worthless though because I'm going to put so many miles on it nobody will want it, which is fine with me. :biggrin:

I've noticed the same thing!

NSX will always be desirable but the price's will devalue slower than less rare cars. Pries should go back up once the economy turns around and people will start spending money again... hopefully soon. I'm not sure they will ever be collector cars unless ultra low mileage (which seems such a waste as they are meant to be driven) and wait another 30 years.

There are a ton of high end cars for sale right now, I believe the economy is driving this, people want the money in the bank.

I like to think the value of earlier NSX is where they should be. They were over inflated for long time.

Later NSX however, is taking a blood bath.

There are a ton of high end cars for sale right now, I believe the economy is driving this, people want the money in the bank.

That is the truth...NSX is not in any way alone in the price beating that higher end cars are taking. There are such screaming deals out there on cars that for me were out of reach not so long ago such as Aston V8 Vantage....hell there are some low mileage examples in the low 70's!

I like to think the value of earlier NSX is where they should be. They were over inflated for long time.

Later NSX however, is taking a blood bath.

Which might indicate that later NSXs value were inflated as well.

bottoming-out Aston...

Aston V8 Vantage....hell there are some low mileage examples in the low 70's!
~$60k's all-day & all-night as of now for a pre-owned V8-Vantage! Likely to be ~$50k's by later this year (for the early '06 models). . .

Either they were over-produced for certain model-years (ie. '06), over-priced in terms of MSRP/options-accessories/etc', or under-achieved relative to their competition/market-segment in terms of actual performance/handling. I'm thinking a combo' of all three!

Average-to-high miles V8-Vantage for high $40k's, though not likely anytime soon in 2009, but if possible- I'd be on it w/o a second thought. . .

Last edited:
Which might indicate that later NSXs value were inflated as well.

No, I'm looking at the car from Whole sale perspective.

If you can find a low mileage 2002 for $45k, vs high mileage 1991 for $25-30k, the higher tier car is taking a greater dive.

Keep in mind the just MSRP alone is a $30k difference.

Until last year, earlier NSX has actually went for much higher price than twelve years ago. Keep in mind the NA1:NA2 availability ratio. There are probably 8000 NA1 and 2000 NA2 in N. America.

An NSX is a luxury item. I sold mine :frown: due to the atmosphere in the economy surrounding the automotive industry. I have to be prepared for anything now. Do I want to get back into one? Yes, but other issues are my priorities now.

Keep in mind the just MSRP alone is a $30k difference.

You mean the difference in new price between a 91 and a 2005?
Adjusted for inflation the original owner of my 91 paid $116k in today's dollars :eek:

I think the MSRP pretty much just kept up with inflation, and possibly decreased.

You mean the difference in new price between a 91 and a 2005?
Adjusted for inflation the original owner of my 91 paid $116k in today's dollars :eek:

I think the MSRP pretty much just kept up with inflation, and possibly decreased.

If you put it that way, a 1988 Integra cost more than 2006 RSX.

The point is, a car depreciates base on age and mileage. When I see a 100 plus K miles NSX sold for $32K because it has exhaust and header when a nice 1997 NSX with 30k miles sold around the same time for $40k, I can't justify the first deal regardless how you put it. Now it make more sense.

high milage NA1 NSX go for mid $20k, while 02 plus doubled that.

The point is, a car depreciates base on age and mileage. When I see a 100 plus K miles NSX sold for $32K because it has exhaust and header when a nice 1997 NSX with 30k miles sold around the same time for $40k, I can't justify the first deal regardless how you put it. Now it make more sense.

high milage NA1 NSX go for mid $20k, while 02 plus doubled that.

True. I'm glad too since otherwise I wouldn't have my car yet. :wink:

I sold my 02 Imola as I wanted to keep money in the bank (might lose my job). Its better than having a NSX in the garage let me tell you.

But in all honesty it was sort of a smart move money wise as I can probably pick up another +02 around the $40-50k mark. So I've just pocketed $$$ and can be right back in the same car if I chose that route.

Or I can get back into NSX ownership in a NA1 and still keep $$$ in the bank however, there are some incredible deals on Porsche's at the moment that have caught my eye as well.

Its definately a buyers market and I'll just wait till I'm more comfortable with the job situation and then nab a great deal! I like the fact that I can wait and sit back and decide what to do instead of hoping my car sells or hoping I don't lose my job.

high mileage NA1 NSX go for mid $20k, while 02 plus doubled that.

Vance Vance... demand and supply. :biggrin: 25-30k is a sweet spot and than my 91 isn't that much slower than most sub 30k new car... not to mention any NA2. now you can have a lot more late model high end cars for the same money. nsx, become less favorable, especially if you need a loan from bank, it's even harder to get financing.

you know what else is ridiculous? a honda civic, looks like they had been in $3000 range forever. (be it EG, EK)

Let them drop! Because I'm driving mine until it blows up. Then I'll pick up an '05 for $40K to beat on. Unfortunately, Honda makes the NSX so reliable that I might die trying.

Let them drop! Because I'm driving mine until it blows up. Then I'll pick up an '05 for $40K to beat on. Unfortunately, Honda makes the NSX so reliable that I might die trying.

Sounds good to me. By that time an 05 will probably be less than 40k. I guess we'll see.

I believe that it's several things driving down the value of used exotics. The main thing being the quality of lower priced vehicles.

I'm 32 and I can say that the auto industry has progressed by leaps and bounds over the past 25 years. When I think what car manufacturers were making back in 1984 compared to now, it's absoultely amazing.

The problem with high end cars is that there is now less of a quality/ performance difference between a high end and low end car. I think about the fit and finish on a $14,000 Scion Tc compared with an $85,000 Acura NSX and there's not much difference anymore.

Even the options and technology that was onced reserved for higher end cars has trickled down into the lower priced vehicles.

Performance wise, the time race from 0 - 60 is getting ever closer to 0 and basically the times are almost getting irrelevant.

So where does that leave us? Holding on to vehicles that we imagine to be superior, but can actually be out classed in many different categories by less expensive and somtimes more reliable vehicles.

And it doesn't matter if we are talking about a Aston Martin, Maserati, Porsche, or NSX. We have all over valued our rides for no other reason than the "gotta have it factor".

I see what we do no different than some Transformers fanboy paying $300 for a new in the box 1984 G1 Optimus Prime compared to the one that's out in the stores now from the recent movie that goes for $40 bucks. They both do the same thing, the new one is probably actually better, but the fanboy already has it in his head that the 1984 example is just "better" and won't even consider purchasing the "new" version of Prime.

I haven't really seen the prices changing on the NA1 cars.

Decent examples with normal mileage and no accidents have been at $25-30K for the last ten years.

NA2 have taken a huge drop but we knew it was coming... The reality is they were asking 3x the price of the NA1 cars for a few extra HP and a headlight conversion. They'll probably settle in the high 40s in the next few years and stay there forever, just like the NA1s have seem found their bottom.

For me, I have always wanted a NSX ever since it came out in 91. Prices through the years have been out of my reach with my salary those years. I was actually looking at a possible 3rd 93 rx-7 twin turbo around the time I got my NSX-T. I stubble across my 98 NSX-T for around 35K, which to me was a good deal because I havent seen a 3.2L 6spd for that price. I jumped on it without even thinking. Granted the car does have 90K miles but its a Honda, and I have been working on Hondas for 17yrs. I agreed that the older NA1 seems to hold up their value a little bit better than the NA2. I am continuing to keep my eyes out for any good deal.

If someone was to look at this objectively, for the price, technology, cost of ownership, there are lots of other options that beat the NSX. Most of us as NSX owners disregard that because we love our Xs period.

Someone above mentioned price drop on V8-Vantage. I certainly would love to get my hands in 1 of those if I can catch a deal, or a 96-97 911 turbo. I have no plans of selling, trading my NSX even if I end up with another car.

There are many threads about NA1 Pre-02 vs. NA2 02+. It's all personal preference. NA1 have pretty much stablized and bottomed out at $25-35K.

I think the 02+ has been over inflated in terms of it's price $60-$80K (5-7 years after 02+ production). I think the balloon is deflating on these cars as with other exotics.

2 years ago if I had an extra $40-50K cash hanging around, I probably would have purchased one instead of my 93.

However, I'd probably also be kicking myself in the a$$ right about now seeing the value crash and wished I had a coupe.

Last edited:
M indeed, but not the M...

I've seen several 05-07 M5s in the high $20s. That is a STEAL considering a 335i costs more than that...
Where?? Love that V10, but I've only been seeing high $30k's to mid $40k's.
I believe Mirroredshades' post was a typo, as it's the pre-owned E46 M3 models that can be acquired for "high $20k's". The E46 M3 was available in '05-'06 & there was NO M3 model in '07; but, for '08+, the E90-lineage (E90/E92/E93) M3 was offered. . .

The E39 M5 sedan was produced up till '03. The '06+ E60 M5 sedan is in the higher $30k's, at bests. Otherwise ~$40k's for the most part in terms of low-end of the pricing spectrum. . .

Last edited:
Back