• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New ITB by Revolution

I'd be interested to hear if they've solved some of the drivability issues associated with ITBs that I've read about. Cold start, idle, throttle sticking, TPS, vaccumm issues. Some of the ITB setups for the F20/22 and K20/K24 are making some really nice top end power w/o those issues.

I'd think that the horn design would be a combination of optimal air flow angle and intake manifold/plenum/air box/whatever-you-want-to-call-it packaging considerations.

FWIU, an ITB setup with a plenum that has the correct internal volume is essential to the making them work to their potential. The idea centers around air resonance within a cavity - Helmholtz Resonance.

So yes, with all due respect, adding an airbox (w/ the correct internal volume) will have an impact on that setup. ;)

FWIU, an ITB setup with a plenum that has the correct internal volume is essential to the making them work to their potential. The idea centers around air resonance within a cavity - Helmholtz Resonance.

So yes, with all due respect, adding an airbox (w/ the correct internal volume) will have an impact on that setup. ;)

I'm assuming the transversal JGTC NSX's had tuned Helmholtz Resonance intake plenums that contributed to their unique high pitch then? Could that formula be quantified and duplicated on our cars to achieve a similar effect on sound and output power with other associated modifications?

T

I'm assuming the transversal JGTC NSX's had tuned Helmholtz Resonance intake plenums that contributed to their unique high pitch then? Could that formula be quantified and duplicated on our cars to achieve a similar effect on sound and output power with other associated modifications?

In theory, if one followed the same formula for JGTC NSX engines then I suppose, yes. In reality, I'm sure there are quite a few trade secrets that give those engines their auditory and power characteristics.

From what I understand, there are 4 possible resonance frequencies in a given operating rev range with runner length and width as variables. Add the tuned plenum, to runner length and width, and there are 6 possible resonance frequencies w/i the same operating range.

F1 engines use variable length runners for a infinite number of resonance occurances and a shaped plenum to enhance low pressure waves that produce the resonance. This type of tuning makes F1 engines exceed 125% volumetric efficiency (ie old Cosworth F1 engine).

All from tuning pressure waves. Crazy stuff!

ScienceofSpeed has a nice primer on ITBs HERE.

There are a few cars that use ITBs as OE (with a plenum) and those are certainly emissions legal. However, I think you'll have a hard time passing even a visual inspection w/ ITBs as an aftermarket modification. I'd give you props for trying though.

ITB's show up on bike motor's like the Suzy Hayabusa all the time, work beautifully, pass emissions, etc. It's all in how you control the engine functions. The 'Busa uses two short intake stacks for best top end power, and two ( four cyl engine) longer stacks for better torque, to give a driveable mix that pulls hard from idle to 10,500. ITB's will work just as well on any motor, if the builder have the time and cash to work out all the control parameters. Not for the faint of heart, ( or wallet)

Based on the sound, responsiveness and overall cool factor, I think this should be a worthy alternative to anyone considering a Supercharger (10k+)

There is enough HP gain to make it significant enough, and given the increase in throttle response, should be more valuable around the track and the twistys than *comparable* HP ...

AEM tuned and other mods (maybe increased compression..) could do 400 NA HP, no?

You're joking, right? I don't think an airbox will have any impact on that setup. In fact, I'm sure of it.

I was talking about how much $$$ you will be in for.

Cheers,

AR

Novice q - How exactly do ITBs work and what do they do? I've seen the youtube videos and they are cool. Are they legal for streets in the US?

It's really a whole topic unto itself.

If you are looking for the most technical, formal definition wiki has a page on ITB's or 'velocity stacks' here. As Shawn mentioned some previous OE applications such as the E30 series M3 had them stock in the most minimal definition using a plenum and air box. The valves required more frequent adjustment- but all in all BMW invested the time into drive-ability and it proved fine.

There is a decent overview of OE implementations here:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_3049/article.html

For raw performance- the basic principle is the same as with any NA tune... the quest for higher efficiency and output from any given design. A more efficient induction and fuel delivery system on the order of even a few percent... can and does yield some degree of gain on most any engine. Moving to an individual throttle body per cylinder also lends itself to better throttle response when tuned properly.

In an aftermarket tuning context they seem to be a point of confusion whenever technical forum discussions on them come up... mainly because very few people have real-world hands on experience installing or tuning them in the aftermarket. They are more frequently seen at the pro level. Their are a handful of NSX/2K options-

Toda of course designed their parts for the factory backed teams and is expensive as it gets.

Revolution as posted has a good reputation in Japan with community racers on builds but is probably out of reach on support for most of us. As I recall the owner of Advance (can't recall his name) had a set.

TWM is perhaps the most well known US vendor having been around forever. They offer their 2000 series kit for the F20's (+14hp BTW) and Miata's in the import world; but mainly their bread and butter remains the competition Chevy big block guys. My impression is that in the past they didn't deal with street guys more than they had to outside of maybe Porsche, but that is starting to change. I received some interest from them in an NSX kit awhile back during off-season down-time.

Lance Hayward's ITB offerings are well received in the S2000 & K20 circles. Here is a customer video. I am unsure if they would be willing to explore an NSX offering but he is usually very receptive and I'd start there.

You could also of course try Wilson, as he once stated he had a pet project going on for awhile with one on his street car using a beater block. Either builders with some degree of hands on could probably give one a glimmer of what you realistically might come to expect with such a setup and help with misc. integration questions specific to our platform.

None are going to be technically emissions legal due to visual inspection and EMS, although I've heard of one instance using Hondata on another application with ODB2 got passed. In general if that is an issue than I'd go another route.

Based on the sound, responsiveness and overall cool factor, I think this should be a worthy alternative to anyone considering a Supercharger (10k+)

There is enough HP gain to make it significant enough, and given the increase in throttle response, should be more valuable around the track and the twistys than *comparable* HP ...

AEM tuned and other mods (maybe increased compression..) could do 400 NA HP, no?

Paul... 'Cool factor' is the absolute worst way to make expensive engine/tuning decisions.

I'd say the primary mis-conception is that due to the racy look, that velocity stacks some-how show huge power gains unto themselves or are somehow comparable to another unrelated FI solution and that is just not true. I'll state up-front that if a member thinks they are going to see a +130hp gain street reliable NA build on pump gas in an NSX by bolting one on or do some build up GT500 spec engine with a few JDM tuner mods and a set they are dreaming in la la land. Touting them as a comparable upgrade approach to a CTSC is not viable either- as I can't imagine an informed customer comparing the two upgrade paths as being some-how in any way similar after reviewing the facts practically with a pro engine builder. Check the 2K dyno charts from TWM. From stock, I'd guess more like +25hp for about 15 grand by the time you are done with a good EMS, rails, bells, tuning, etc...

To get best results, adding individual throttle bodies is the last step in an extensive (and in the NSX relatively expensive) full NA tune. Your engine needs to already be well prepped (open up the head / port match, cams, re-designed fuel system, a stand-alone aftermarket ECU, delete emissions systems, ideally higher compression, headers/exhaust/valves, etc...) to take the best advantage of the added air flow and minimal efficiency bump in the fuel/intake charge these custom induction systems provide. Otherwise, it is akin to adding titanium lightweight lug nuts to stock wheels.

Due to their tuning characteristics- all in all they really best lend themselves to serious motor sports competitors whereas every last bit of power output counts- as technical rules have them running a restrictor plate and teams need every last technical advantage to qualify let alone put on a good showing for their sponsors. Since outside of the spec'd plate this area is often 'free' it is easier to justify more engine R&D into the design & tuning to the degree of pressure waves, variable runners, computer design, etc... by backing manufacturers with really deep pockets.

In a club street/track context (for what most of us do) the issue with any full NA tune is going to come down to tuning/drive-ability issues and of course reliability/cost/service balanced against basic practicality/application. It is important to be more critical of your actual usage patterns, as club requirements/usage/goals are generally very different.

I've seen that the Miata's guys can put on ITB's with an AEM for about $3500, and when the motor blows after a few events or a summer it really isn't a big deal to do a DIY tear down. I know a SCCA national guy that at any one time is probably working with a customer on one in his shop. On the flip side the F-car guys with factory ITB's on their V12's I'd like to think may be able to occasionally afford those service bills... but the reality is usually they just don't get driven instead. Same with many of the historic race cars, engines tuned like that are why so many tend to be rollers. :cool:

For the Honda's it won't scale in the pocket up to an NSX... I'd say based on a few threads on Honda Tech $7,000 might buy you a nice NA tuned ITB setup on a B18 but to do this and do it well on an NSX C30A/C32B think a lot, lot more. You need to see an expensive bell/rail/linkage JDM piece like that as one small piece in a much larger build picture- and have some genuine method to the madness.

You're joking, right? I don't think an airbox will have any impact on that setup. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Any restriction has an impact. For me, it helped to understand the history.

A side effect of moving an unfiltered charge at a high CFM is a lot more dirt makes it into the engine which causes very rapid internal engine wear. Back in the beginning builders ran ITB's open for maximum efficiency. However, race tracks are inherently dirty environments and it was soon discovered not long after those days that brake dust, tail pipe emissions, sand, etc... getting sucked in were the primary cause for this rapid wear. Later the Lotus 7 guys used to just run moist socks over them which was popular for a short time.

Now most all pro guys, even open wheel/LMP prototypes run with a sealed air box usually with a huge K&N for maximum flow. Even still, engine life-time between re-builds is best measured in track operating hours due to their overall engine design. The piston to valve tolerances are kept ridiculously tight, and as a whole the engine internals only need to be strong enough to last a weekend- so the added airflow wear gets pushed to the bottom of the priority stack.

On some of the cars at WOT you can literally see the pull of the induction at the inlet. The engines fuel maps are typically tailored to only operate well at significant course speeds. Personally I think that all is fine when you have three more engines Lamborgini sent you on pallets in the truck rig but- the reality more often than not is that your own personal results idling at starbucks drive-through window may vary. :biggrin:

In conclusion- more likely than not for the vast majority of street or even street/track import enthusiasts... gains are going to be minimal on a stock block and the drive-ability/reliability/maintenance compromises relatively significant unless you are willing to invest in the tuning and R&D yourself. FI and other paths will look more appealing. Even for more serious track day and club cars it's difficult to justify those types of radical setup decisions due to the annual hit on the bottom line to field the car.

Personally, I'd invest in other areas of NSX setup first, and go after the good HP on a more moderate/conservative NA tune. Other applications will fair better in the pocket if someone really wants to pursue ITB's.

Last edited:
<sighs>

John - as I mentioned, it might be worth for *comparable* HP. EG: 40 to 40. The SC does have more, yes, however, the ITB has other factors going for it as mentioned in this thread and just enough to give a good kick in the pants

In other words, though lacking in hp relatively speaking, to a certain group of people, it may make up by the other differentiating factors over the SC.

:rolleyes:

beautiful! I wonder what, if any advantage there is to angling the horns towards each other as opposed to putting them straight up like the sos setup?

The reason they are angled that way, is that is the same angle as the port entry to the heads. The main reason SOS would point their intakes more vertical is they would be going for more runner length and have to curve the runners to keep the horns from hitting each other.

Another thing to note with ITB's is that it is very difficult to get a good vacuum signal when MAP is being used for load sensing (factory Honda ecu for example) due to the fact that there is no plenum volume.
For this reason, it would be prefered to use an ECU that can sense load based on throttle position, and use a map sensor for barametric pressure compensation. (Motec, for example)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/45LzDRmHrmg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/45LzDRmHrmg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Dang John...you need to put Cliffs Notes on your posts.

FWIW, the Hayward ITBs are the SOS ITBs.

The reason they are angled that way, is that is the same angle as the port entry to the heads. The main reason SOS would point their intakes more vertical is they would be going for more runner length and have to curve the runners to keep the horns from hitting each other.

If I'm correct in this: in general terms, longer runner length and a narrower trumpet means better numbers on the lower end of the rev range. Shorter runner length and a wider trumpet means better numbers on the higher end of the rev range.

Does that sound correct, hypertune?

I'm trying to figure out the TODA ITB. Perhaps that's the one I'll end up with if I pull the trigger. Love the wicked sound!!

If I'm correct in this: in general terms, longer runner length and a narrower trumpet means better numbers on the lower end of the rev range. Shorter runner length and a wider trumpet means better numbers on the higher end of the rev range.

Does that sound correct, hypertune?

Yes, thats right.

7 grand for that work of art and then you'll hide it with an airbox on top.:frown:

It's just like wearing an expensive dress shirt from Gucci or Yves Saint Laurent. It may not have the name written across the front, but you know what it is. And that is all that matters. :wink:

Talked to lance hayward about the ITB's yesterday, he stated if tuned properly it would be very streetable. I know that the quality of the Toda or revolution are top notch but for the price that SOS are selling there's at is it a big differance between ITB's. Thanks, Frank

Back