• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Confirmed!

More info on vtec.net: The rest of the Autocar interview with
Mr. Fukui is paraphrased. The next NSX is still > 1 year out.
The US will be the priciple target market. The emphasis will be on performance, not on volume of sales. Interestng comments on other Honda models, including RWD vs. AWD RL.

spoon_HSC.jpg

more info

new info brought to my attention confirm that Honda engineers are working on a plethora of new engines for the 2005-2008 timeframe, and I'm quoting here a senior engineer saying: "our engines in five years from now will be completely different from what you would find in today's cars". Some details I cannot unfortunalely share on this public forum, but as you know, the new gen NSX will be launched right into this time period. The longitudinal v10 engine I was hinted to in the past seems will not make it into production afterall, but the engine shown at the Tokyo A-show is not it either. It was repeated to me that the engine will be "better than a v8". I sincerely start believing that we may see a hybrid powertrain afterall...

A hybrid is TERRIBLE news. Let's hope that is not it! A hybrid V6 is NOT better than a V8.

I wish it was a V10. That would be very competitive with what is coming.

I guess I will just hold out for that 3.6L V6 with 450HP!

Simply because on the race track, the battery will die after a few laps and we will carry dead weight. That is the ENEMY. Maybe in 3 years that will be solved.

NetViper said:
Simply because on the race track, the battery will die after a few laps and we will carry dead weight. That is the ENEMY. Maybe in 3 years that will be solved.

This is not how hybrids engines operate. You basically have 2 "schools of thoughts" on this. The Honda way uses a regular engine 100% of the time with an occasional boost from an electric motor. The batteries are being continuously charged either by the engine or through regenerative braking. They are NEVER let to run out of juice, hence they are NEVER dead weight...

actually, on cars WITH COMPARABLE WEIGHT, a hybrd powertrain would allow to shave some serious seconds from your laptime as it would seriously flatten out that power curve, creating an artificial extra-wide powerband (what the current NSX lacks big time, IMHO). As you already know, torque is what is really pushing the cars forward out of corners, and electric motors have plenty of it at low RPMs!

So what "inside" info do you have on the electrical portion of the hybrid powertrain?

Does Honda have some new technology up their sleeve? If they are using structurally stressed (part of the chassis) supercapacitors instead of conventional batteries, well, that was my idea from when I was in elementary school. :D

I actually disagree with this. .if you look at an NSX dyno graph, it has one of the flattest torque curves in the market...

A turbo car is even flatter

I think they might be using the Flux-capacitor to generate 1.21 Gigawatts of battery power! This will in-turn create ample low end torque and the best part is that it runs on garbage!

:)

Ojas said:
So what "inside" info do you have on the electrical portion of the hybrid powertrain?

none.

It is a well know fact that Honda is a strong believer in hybrid technology. It is also public knowledge that they are developing new powertrains using hybrid-electric (and others) technology. They publicly mentioned the idea of a potential application in the HSC, which at the time I personally dismissed on grounds of other info I had. The v10 in the new gen NSX is no longer a solution, hence the hybrid powertrain might be the next great thing ! it's as simple as that. I was NOT implicitely NOR explicitely told the next gen NSX will have a hybrid powertrain.

Ojas said:
...only if you buy the optional Mr. Fusion, which will no doubt carry the same unreasonable markup as most dealer-installed options.

Maybe SOS will come out with a cheaper version and MB can tune it.

apapada said:
actually, on cars WITH COMPARABLE WEIGHT, a hybrd powertrain would allow to shave some serious seconds from your laptime as it would seriously flatten out that power curve, creating an artificial extra-wide powerband (what the current NSX lacks big time, IMHO). As you already know, torque is what is really pushing the cars forward out of corners, and electric motors have plenty of it at low RPMs!

I realize you are new to the track with the NSX, but the idea behind the wonderful motor in this car IS the extra wide torque curve, not like the typical high revving strung out engine, or the low revving but narrow peak torque with say a v-8. Due to the extremely flat torque curve, you can still salvage a missed downshift or just not down shift at all if you would just upshift within a couple of seconds after the turn.

Would I like more torque? Yes. Would I give up a flat curve to have a higher number? No. Do I want regenerative battery power to an IMA motor? Give me a paddle shift 7 speed transmission and 2700 pounds, and I will take on anyone on any track that has straights of less than 1 mile in length, and probably win. (As did the LMP675 at Sears this year)

I don't think the end result will disapoint us,whatever the powertrain.As long as Honda dos'nt aquire norelco in the interum.BTW it is my gut feeling that this hsc/new nsx was designed in the very recent past,and that the go ahead was'nt given till late in the game.For that reason and the lack of credible buzz as to what will power it,I feel that even that is being debated at Honda.Therefore they now need some time to really design and build the real deal.I have faith that it will impress.At what price?

everyone says that the NSX torque curve is flat. I have to say that I have seen flatter than that, with higher or lower plateaux.

Here is the torque curve for an nsx :

Attachments

• torque.jpg
    torque.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 617
and here are some torque curves that I would qualify as flat (lower or higher values):

Attachments

• flattorque.jpg
    flattorque.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 621
Back