• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX owner In Chicago!!

Hey Everyone!

I would like to start by thanking everyone on prime for their time and support during my shopping experience.

I have been looking at getting an NSX for the last 2 years ever since I drove one in 04 and again in 06 from a prime member near work.

It is a 2003 Silver with 20k miles on it. I almost snatched one up at a dealer in Alabama but moved on to another one where a prime member answered my WTB post. On top of it he also took my BMW in trade which was a sticking point for me!

I left Chicago with my best friend on Friday at 7 PM and arrived in Columbia South Carolina at 9am the next morning. It was a painful drive if any one knows anything about sitting in a Z4 for 950 miles and 12 hours. We showed up, the car was beautiful and just as the owner said it would be.

The only thing that I did not expect was the amount of rubbing in the front from the aftermarket 19" chrome wheels. They looked ok, but really, too much for me and the car. I will be posting them for sale as they just don't work for my type of driving. The stock ones are being shipped to me on monday from original owner in SC.

We immediatly took off to get some miles under our belt back in the home bound direction, the car was awesome and the weather was even better 70 and sunny. targa top was off and the Winterbound Chicago boys were enjoying some sun shine!

We made our first pit stop in Ashville SC just getting into the Great Smoky Mountians. We had lunch there and while leaving were flashed by 2 totaly hot chicks! I had no idea the NSX drew this kind of attention!!

We then proceeded our way over to Deals Gap and the Cherohala Skyway pass Roads. Let me tell you I could not have picked a better set of roads to open my NSX experience! Totaly Awesome!

Cherohala is more of a high speed type of road 30mph to 90mph and sweet elevation 1200 ft up to 5500 ft and the views are totaly awesome! Deals gap on US 129 is much tighter and max speed is 50 at best usualy in the 20's to 30's

After that day we had 800 miles on our NSX from time of purchase and only 300 or so of those were Interstate!:biggrin:

We stayed in a motel for some much needed rest, (had not slept yet) and then took off in the morning for one more blast through the moutians.

We got 2 miles into US 129 and I shifted from 1st into second and heard a very loud grind and metal mashing sound and the engine was freely reving. Shifted in to 3rd and it was fine, back to second.... nothing.. first???? yea.. first was there... second... nothing.. third.. yea thrid is working... at least this is how my mind figured though it.. So we had blown second gear out. I hope acura covers this one under warranty... it should. I did not do anything bad to it.. just kinda felt mushy?

So with only 5 speeds left. we made our way back to chicago. Along the way at every gas station, we were asked questions about the car, girls asked if we were single and to top it off the car performed great the rest of the way and got us home on a limping tranny!! We were welcomed by snow as soon as we pulled in to our Chicago home. Parked her in the garage and here I am.... what a trip.. 2450 miles driven over 2 days and 8 hours of sleep.. Good night to all, am very happy to be part of the club!!!!

SouthCarolina0074.jpg

SouthCarolina0083.jpg

SouthCarolina0053.jpg

SouthCarolina0049.jpg

SouthCarolina0040.jpg

SouthCarolina0015.jpg

SouthCarolina0004.jpg

I will get more...... just I GOTA go to bed!!

Last edited:
Awesome... you bought it you crazy boy!

Just for a little background... Joe came by my place last summer to check out the NSX, as us tall folks need to do a lot of sacraficing to drive such a fine auto. Well anyway, fast forward a couple of months and it turns out we joined the same health club. While shooting some baskets, I kept looking at this guy thinking that I knew him from somewhere... Well, we figured it out finally.

Congratulations Joe! I'm looking forward to your participation in the group next year. You'll make a great addition.:smile: See you at the club this week sometime...

-Randy

Welcome to the club! The car looks fantastic. I agree with you on the rims. Those gotta go.:rolleyes:

I just got mine 2 mos ago. The local Chicago guys are very nice and knowledgeable.
Make sure you get to the dinner in March at the Ram in Schaumburg. I'm too lazy/tired to find the link for you.:smile:

Good luck with the gear replacement.

I didn't know NSX's could be driven in the rain. Is the car OK? Welcome to the Silverstone club. We are a little less snobby than the Sebring owners. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Congratulations on your NSX.

For a gearbox rebuild, I recommend Acura of Brookfield, just West of Milwaukee. They are worth the drive from Chicago for major service or aftermarket modification.

For a gearbox rebuild, I recommend Acura of Brookfield, just West of Milwaukee. They are worth the drive from Chicago for major service or aftermarket modification.
Acura of Brookfield is excellent. So is Muller's Woodfield Acura in Hoffman Estates, about twelve miles west of O'Hare. They, too, have a lot of NSX service experience, most in the Chicago area, including rebuilding transmissions and engines (which, AFAIK, none of the other eight dealers in the Chicago area do). Acura of Brookfield is likely to be somewhat less expensive, but they are a hundred miles, each way, so there is a convenience factor.

Whether it's worth the drive from Chicago is up to you. I have most of my routine service done by Muller's Woodfield, and only drive all the way to Milwaukee when I need anything done involving either track preparation or substantial aftermarket modifications, which they have more experience with.

Im so envious of the "forced long drive". Id love to sit in my car and just keep driving.

Too bad about the 2nd gear tho - Ive never heard of that happening myself.

.............................Deals gap on US 129 is much tighter and max speed is 50 at best usualy in the 20's to 30's right between 1st and 2ond on the NSX

Congrats on the newly purchased NSX. Glad u had a chance to stop thru deals gap, the nsx really shines on roads like that. Once you do a few hpde's, upgrade your oem brakes and get a set of F1 GS-D3's, you'll be hitting 80+ alot on that road.

Sweet! Nice NSX! I also thought about the NSX in AL (04' Silverstone?), but found the 05' LBBP the week before I was to go look at it. The LBBP only had 3700 miles on it with custom wheels and exhaust. The price was a little high, but I would have paid more since it was probably the closest thing to "new" on the market. I thought about driving her home (to CA) from GA, and time permitting I would have because it would have been a great drive through the southern states, but I had to be in Vegas the following day and it wouldn't have worked out. Glad you like your ride, there's nothing else like it, and I can't ever imagine life without one now. Welcome to the club!

(Sweet pics BTW, I especially like the one under the light...)

Congrats! I hope to join the Chicago owners club too with a 91 or 92 by the end of this year.

Should give me some time in the interim to find a place with a garage as I wouldn't dare keep her out on the Chicago streets.

Back