• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX

"Today, we want to show you a new concept car that hints at the design direction of the successor to the NSX. This design was created by our Los Angeles-based team. In a few months, this team will move into the Acura Design Center. But they have already created an exciting Acura Advanced Sports Car concept.

Before I show it to you, I want to emphasize that this vehicle is about more than just great styling. As we advance toward building a car like this, I can tell you it will feature advanced technology matching our passion for performance. This will include an all-new V10 engine that is Acura's most powerful ever. This front engine vehicle will also feature a new high performance, rear wheel drive version of Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive. "

Takeo's speech.

I hate it. This looks like a very uninspired, rushed design, and not something that is supposed to take over the throne from the most gorgeous car ever to come out of Japan (that being the NSX, of course). This car is not exotic-looking, and the next "glimpse" we get in Japan this fall had better have some major changes. In it's current form, it's going to get a lot of "yawn, it's just another Honda" out of prospective exotic car buyers.

The rear end looks like it should be on a Honda Prelude replacement, not an NSX replacement. The side view is atrocious, monolithic, and very un-sexy. The front end reminds me of a squinty-eyed, buck-toothed rabbit. There is no "flow" on the car.....it's almost as if they had different people design different sections of the car and they put them all together at the end Frankenstein-style. If I had to guess, it looks to me as if Honda used the same design house for this as BMW did when they redesigned the 3 series and came out with the Z4. In reality, Acura's California-based design team has now come out with two very ugly cars in the past few months.

Also, remember that concept cars tend to look aesthetically better than the final production vehicles will look. Already, I am cringing more knowing that the wheels will probably get smaller or the car will get more ground clearance because of how little room there is in the concept's fenderwell.

Overall, the car gives off a more masculine feel than the very curvy, feminine lines of the NSX and the HSC......maybe that's the biggest reason why I'm not attracted to it. :biggrin:

In the press release, they speak of the car having "hints of the first generation NSX" in it. Sorry, I don't see it. From the long, Murano-esqe hood to the confusion-inducing lines of the car, I don't see much other than the LED row of top brake lights to remind me of the beloved NSX. After looking at it for the past hour, I'm begininng to think that I'd rather there NOT be anything on this hideous freakshow that remonds me of the NSX.

Sigh........I'm thinking that the last Honda product I'm going to own for a long time is already sitting in my garage. :frown:

Wow, not the NSX replacement I was expecting.

Looks like Acura moved the NSX more down-market to compete with cars like the Lexus LF-A and Nissan GT-R rather than the competiotion from Ferrari for the original NSX. I'm hoping the update at this falls Tokyo show will be a BIG update lol.

Goodbye, Honda!
Who needs another M6, Vantage, Viper, XKR, Z06, Mustang Cobra, CL55, Maserati whatever, upcoming Supra, Lexus coupe, or whatever boring car that you can think of? You think you can sell this thing more than you would the HSC!!!??? This pig looks like it weighs 2 tons and has all the useless pimp/bling gadgets plus some.
I am not asking you to give me a groundbreaking $100k Ferrari F430 beater. I just want a $100k sports car with cabability exceeding a 911 Carrera S, or running with the Z06. With your HUGE part bins, you can certainly build such a car consistent with the current price/performance expectation. But you chose to compete in an overcrowded and uninspiring segment.
You showed us the awesome HSC, and then you jerked us for a few more years. What is wrong with you!!!?????:mad:
I hope I am wrong about you. But as of now, you lost a long time Honda fan who has owned MANY of your cars and motorcycles.
Steve

Last edited:
looks to me to be designed by commitee:mad: Honda wants to be #1 in racing and they put out this disapointment:frown: I guess after many focus groups,surveys ect they feel this design is more marketable.I will still pray they do a midengine cab forward design again,and use the v-10.:rolleyes:

Great, they didn't show a Gallardo concept, they gave us a M6 concept instead :smile:

"The first generation NSX is another example of this burning desire for performance. It set new standards in many areas, from its advanced technologies to its incredible performance. Today, we want to show you a new concept car that hints at the design direction of the successor to the NSX. This design was created by our Los Angeles-based team. In a few months, this team will move into the Acura Design Center. But they have already created an exciting Acura Advanced Sports Car concept.

Before I show it to you, I want to emphasize that this vehicle is about more than just great styling. As we advance toward building a car like this, I can tell you it will feature advanced technology matching our passion for performance. This will include an all-new V10 engine that is Acura's most powerful ever. This front engine vehicle will also feature a new high performance, rear wheel drive version of Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel Drive.

Our direction is clear. We plan to Advance, in technology, in design, and in overall performance. This fall, at the Tokyo Motor Show, we will showcase the next stage in our advancement. But today, we have an exciting idea for the next Acura super sports car. I hope you like this exciting new concept, and the direction for the Acura brand. Thank you."

Cali design team what are you guys thinking? I much more prefer the hsc even it is a underpowered v6. Do not call it a nsx successor unless its midengine. Maybe the next stage in Tokyo is the midengine concept?

Uhg...an angular 350Z...a sad day in the NSX world...they couldn't even get to motor in the right place...

I think I will keep my 91, I doubt this new thing will ever be a classic, unless we start to consider an MDX a classic:redface:

Yuck!
http://news.windingroad.com/concept...acuras-advanced-sports-car-concept/#more-4146
when one of these blows by you in a corner as if you are standing still and/or leaves vipers in the dust at the 1/4 mile you will become a believer. i hope it sells for less than 75K.

Okay, after gazing at the pictures for another 30 minutes, I've got to add a couple of things to my above comments.

1. I can see in a couple of places now where they borrowed some design cues from the NSX, especially the front. It's still ugly, though. I think that the design team set out to give it some similarity to the NSX so that this community doesn't end up forming a lynch mob and going after them :tongue: (actually, it was probably to create some sense of lineage for Honda/Acura in the sports car arena). Instead of borrowing cues from the NSX that don't really flow with the car, they should have divorced the design of this car completely from the NSX. On the evolutionary ladder, the only apparent relationship between these two cars is their brand.

2. The "new" wheels that they are so proud of look eerily familiar to the 4-year-old stock wheels on my Infiniti FX35.

3. If they decide to keep this basic design going into Tokyo later on this year, some real work needs to be done on the midsection of the car. The cockpit is incredibly bland, and looks like a five-year-old designed it. The lines on the rear quarter-panel need a lot of work as well. I think that they should give this area (especially the top of the body line along the side windows) a little bit of curve to it to enhance the "waistline" of the car. I hate to say it, but even the new Corvette does this with great success.

4. They went out of their way to put a lateral line down the center of the car from front to back, but it gets awkward looking on the top of the rear window. I'm also wondering how they are going to incorporate a license plate into the design. I can't see any way that they can do it without breaking up the lateral line and all of that hard work they put into it.

5. Also, what is all of the air ducts/vents on the rear decklid of the car for? Is this to function aerodynamically, by routing air through the one on the edge of the glass out of the darkened area in-between the taillights to perform the same function that the NSX's spoiler did?

So proud to be an owner of the 1st-gen NSX.

I think this pic demonstrates that this will be the next NSX, given a different name--there won't be another mid-engined concept.

dsc_0313.jpg

I am sure a production version will look better, as this is still in its concept stages, but it still doesn't do much for me personally. I would probably take it over an M6 though for the reliability and SHAWD.

Well my NSX just went up in Value. That THING is Hideous. Forget NSX, I would be embarrased to call is a next gen RSX.

I guess I am looking at the GT3.

Although disappointed, I really don't mind that Honda is moving in this direction, it will no doubt show off all their newest technical achievements. Heck, it's performance may even be heads and tails above my NSX and I would be okay with that too. What I do mind as a current NSX owner is the reference to the NSX. This should in no way be named or tagged as the "next" NSX but rather a whole new model. NSX = mid engine lightweight exotic to me.

I think everyone here probably can honestly admit(probably sadly) that the platform is obviously going to be used for the next NSX whether we like it or not. Once more this is obviously more concept that reality so i am sure they will do more with the curves/lines etc etc.

I am sure all they will show at Tokyo is the hood popped...lmao.

2008 is coming fast guys! :rolleyes:

If the NSX never existed I'd be kind of excited about this car.

But it did, and now I'm not.

Exactly.

I'm deffering judgement for now. I am really hoping this "concept" evolves over the next 3 years. I'm not entirely adverse to a front-mounted mid-engine vice a rear-mounted like ours, it's just not my first choice.

It should not be compared to the NSX.
Its huge & Hanus.
Will be big with the 50-60 yr old crowd........
Most will be auto's for sure:mad:
Was expecting a full on sports car, not another overweight
grand touring car..........

If the NSX never existed I'd be kind of excited about this car.

But it did, and now I'm not.

Same here. As a new sports coupe under $70K I'm excited about this car. As an NSX replacement no way. If this is the only sports coupe Acura is thinking about releasing than dropped the NSX name forever. Please call it something else.

Survey Done.

Curious about the results. thanks for the post. hopefully it will help.

I cant wait to see the Le Manns car is action.

Back