• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Owner-Can I use factory shocks with comptech springs (1 inch lower)?

Considering lowering my NSX, is it possible to use my factory shocks (15,000 miles on them) with the comptech 1 inch drop springs? If not, what are the best shocks to maintain current comfort and handling? I love the way it rides now but I really like the look of the 1 inch drop. Thanks rjw

RICHARD J WOLF said:
Considering lowering my NSX, is it possible to use my factory shocks (15,000 miles on them) with the comptech 1 inch drop springs? If not, what are the best shocks to maintain current comfort and handling? I love the way it rides now but I really like the look of the 1 inch drop. Thanks rjw

You can, no problem. The OEM shocks work with any spring, Eibachs, H & R's, Comptech...etc.

The oem shocks will wear out at a much faster rate, due to the higher spring rates of the lower springs. If you shocks are only a few years old, it will be ok for a few years, but if your shocks are old already, I would advise upgrading to aftermarket shocks, or at least new oem ones.

I see that you have 15k on them, still pretty new, you should be ok for a few more years with lowering springs. The thing is, it is a PITA to swap out springs, so it makes sense to do shocks at the same time.

RICHARD J WOLF said:

Go with Eibachs (springs) and Bilsteins(shocks optional), they are as comfortable as stock + improve handling. It will also drop your car by about an inch.

Ive had Comptech Sport springs/stock shocks on my 92 from 28k miles to 44k miles and never had any problems. Ive had 18/19's for a while and now have 17/18 but my shocks feel good. I have a 00 NSX at my dealership with 45k and a stock setup but my car feels better.

RJW here again, Little more help? Well after researching the lowering by spring concept I ended up at FAQ. Now I have another alternative, instead of lowering with springs it suggested to use CGI Bilstein Shocks with factory springs. Has anyone tried this? If so how is the ride and how low do you go? Thanks again rjw

RICHARD J WOLF said:
RJW here again, Little more help? Well after researching the lowering by spring concept I ended up at FAQ. Now I have another alternative, instead of lowering with springs it suggested to use CGI Bilstein Shocks with factory springs. Has anyone tried this? If so how is the ride and how low do you go? Thanks again rjw

Many recent threads out there on this + pictures. For me this set-up was the best. It will drop your car about 1"+ - set on the lower perch . Bought the Bilsteins for $520 delivered from shox.com.

Back