• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner, looking for potential info on the car

Hello all, I recently bought a black '91 with about 15k in mods, based on receipts and whatnot. I've heard from several friends that this car has had build threads on other forums and I wanted to know if anyone else has seen it so I could do some more research on it. It's #2178 of '91, built in 3/91.

4490460214_3509518b26_b.jpg

4487723793_8d728b31b0_b.jpg

4487722301_f895a9f9c6_b.jpg

As it sits right now it has Stoptech BBK front and rear, Topspeed headers, into either a Pride exhaust or an ARK exhaust (based on receipts and owner testimony) JIC SOS coils, VIS Racing NSXR hood, unknown wing and trunk (Jetz for the wing, possibly) and SOS Shift kit. Wheels are 17x8/18x10 Advan RZs, 215 front 275 rear. I plan on doing much more in the future.

When I picked up the car the slave cylinder had a blown seal as did the master, so it's sitting in my shop until the parts come in so I can fix it. I got it working to drive it for about 20 miles though, and I love the thing.

If anyone has any info on the car, please let me know.

Nice car... Have you tried searching the VIN on this forum?

Thanks for all the compliments!

I hadn't thought to search for the vin, and lo and behold, theres a sale thread on the car. It used to belong to JWillis, apparently. It's answered alot of questions about the state of the ABS and whatnot, haha.

I hate black cars but for some reason I'm in love with yours, congrats

Congrats on the purchase!

I am one of the previous owners of this car, and sold it to the previous owners-who then sold it to the current owner.

There is a bucket list of cars I wanted to experience before I decided to settle down. The NSX has always been on my list. When I first got my hands on this car, I had been fortunate enough to experience the true meaning of the NSX driving phenomenon. It was incredibly hard for me to part with this particular automobile. I will never forget the great moments I had alone in my garage late at night after wiping it down from earlier driving. I would just sit in a spare office chair and stare at this car admiring such amazing build quality of a car that I have not yet discovered in the 15+ cars I have owned since I have parted with it in June of 2010.

I have had a few F cars, a lotus, M3's, since. 1000 h.p. supra before hand along with pretty much almost every make sports car, and no other car has filled the void I have had ever since I sold the NSX.

As I stated since selling the NSX I have moved down the bucket list. And every day when I walk into my office my heart aches a little bit as those pictures are my screen saver on my PC's and my laptops. I have also started a business in November 2010 and while it keeps me holding down a full court press, I promise I will have another NSX in the garage within a year.

To the new owner, if you need tips on detailing, please do not hesitate to ask. Do not be afraid of the paint nor hurting the paint. I detail as a hobby, but you can refurbish the paint with a simple porter cable 7424XP along with pads and polish. Its an oscilating(sp?) machine so you cannot burn the paint. I can make how-to guides or videos for you or anyone else if needed.

-Jeff Willis

Last edited:
One of the most striking black NSX's I've seen - really great looking.

Interesting comments from JWillis about the cars that followed - some impressive names - and another NSX in his future. I agree; I have been driving lots of cars over the past 4 decades, and for me, the NSX is the best overall driving and ownership experience.

Congrats on your excellent purchase!! Jay

It is indeed a wonderful car - unfortunately, the owner JWillis sold it to let it fall into a slight state of disrepair. Apparently he then sold it to a friend of mine, whom I bought it from after he only drove it for about 100 miles and then decided he needed to buy a house instead, haha.

The paint is still okay but it needs some TLC, definitely not anywhere near how nice Jwillis had it. , and recently the slave and master clutch cylinder both failed so currently it's sitting in my shop waiting for parts from Dali to come in. The master cylinder puked it's guts out all over the drivers side floor so until I tear into that I won't know the state of everything. Someone bent or turned the left tail pipe so one points slightly upward and one points down - does anyone know if the pride has such an adjustment built it? If not it's going to need an exhaust, unfortunately.

After that I'm going to get the car back up to 100% before I start doing anything to it. As it sits it's a blast to drive and everyone I see loves it. It's literally killing me to not be able to work on it right now.

nice to see prime help a present owner learn more about a cars history. Also sadly we learn of another car bought by someone who did not have the finances nor cared to provide regular maintanance/ protection from the elements and essentialy flip the car because for a short time having the nsx filled some superficial void.

It is indeed a wonderful car - unfortunately, the owner JWillis sold it to let it fall into a slight state of disrepair. Apparently he then sold it to a friend of mine, whom I bought it from after he only drove it for about 100 miles and then decided he needed to buy a house instead, haha.

The paint is still okay but it needs some TLC, definitely not anywhere near how nice Jwillis had it. , and recently the slave and master clutch cylinder both failed so currently it's sitting in my shop waiting for parts from Dali to come in. The master cylinder puked it's guts out all over the drivers side floor so until I tear into that I won't know the state of everything. Someone bent or turned the left tail pipe so one points slightly upward and one points down - does anyone know if the pride has such an adjustment built it? If not it's going to need an exhaust, unfortunately.

After that I'm going to get the car back up to 100% before I start doing anything to it. As it sits it's a blast to drive and everyone I see loves it. It's literally killing me to not be able to work on it right now.

Glad to know it is within caring hands again. Honestly if I would have known it was going to be treated in that manner I would have never sold it to the previous owner(s). I was very stern about maintenance as I made a series of videos for the new owner. Not bashing the previous owner(s) as some people have different views and definitions of maintenance. I am OCD about it.

To the OP instead of paying $250-500+ for a detail, get yourself a porter cable 7424XP. You can get them new from ebay for $100-120. Get yourself a lake country orange pad, and some menzerna M-105. And get a Lake country green pad and some Menzerna M-205.

I still have the original hood in my garage. I can give you some pointers if needed.

Man that is a beautiful black car and i'm not a black car fan but that is really nice! You've got yourself a special car - bring it back up to snuff and you will LOVE it! All the best - take care of it - I replaced the master and slave on mine too when I bought it along with other stuff and it's a 91 - I'm glad I have mine and whoever gets mine after my stewardship will get a nice one!

nice to see prime help a present owner learn more about a cars history. Also sadly we learn of another car bought by someone who did not have the finances nor cared to provide regular maintanance/ protection from the elements and essentialy flip the car because for a short time having the nsx filled some superficial void.

You just described my car. Thankfully I rescued it before any real damage was done. :frown:

So we finally got the master cylinder replaced - only to have the clutch hose blow. So basically, in my week or so of owning the car all three 20 year old clutch components have failed. XD

Fortunately, I had already ordered the braided clutch hose from Dali so it shouldn't be a hard fix at all. After that though, it's a steady uphill climb. The under-steering-wheel dash panel is falling off and the upholstery on it is unwrapping, the windows need to be reset on the tracks and greased - and looking through my maintenance records going back to 91, the first owner went through FOUR clutches. The TCS light is stuck on and the TCS button doesn't do anything - any ideas on this one?

Fortunately, the AC blows cold, the ipod hookup works, and power everything else is good to go.

Your car is gorgeous! Forget about the repairs....she'll be worth it once all the bugs are worked out!

So we finally got the master cylinder replaced - only to have the clutch hose blow. So basically, in my week or so of owning the car all three 20 year old clutch components have failed. XD

Fortunately, I had already ordered the braided clutch hose from Dali so it shouldn't be a hard fix at all. After that though, it's a steady uphill climb. The under-steering-wheel dash panel is falling off and the upholstery on it is unwrapping, the windows need to be reset on the tracks and greased - and looking through my maintenance records going back to 91, the first owner went through FOUR clutches. The TCS light is stuck on and the TCS button doesn't do anything - any ideas on this one?

Fortunately, the AC blows cold, the ipod hookup works, and power everything else is good to go.

Very nice NSX, The TCS light might have a Smart TCS installed,
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=385

NSX clutch hose failing is a common problem, I have replaced 3 NSX's clutch hose. I keep 2 OEM clutch hoses in stock as backup.

Bryan

Nice! I remember this car. The guy selling it was in Fairfax Va, but it seemed really shady with his out of state cell phone number. The ad was on craigslist so I didn't pursue it further. I really wanted to take a look at it, but I'm still torn with selling my current car or holding on to it and adding the NSX. Glad someone bought it that plans on getting it back in shape and taking care of it. Sorry to hear the issues you have, but I think in the end you will be extremely pleased. Out of curiosity...how much in repairs do you think you would spend if you didn't DIY?

It's hard to say, really. Fortunately I'm a gearhead and on top of that I have a full shop at my disposal but I imagine the labor costs would not be cheap. As it stands the parts costs aren't even cheap, haha. I've already ordered replacement rack bushings and I'm trying to diagnose a front end vibration at 60+mph that seems to either be a slightly unbalanced tire or an alignment issue - but the tire seems more likely. As the rears are worn I'm replacing all four with Direzza Star Specs (the only extreme perf. summer they make in 215/40/17 and 275/35/18).

Getting the machine on our alignment rack is going to be a chore and I'm certain the front bumper needs to come off - which it did anyway, because you can push the passenger side bumper light in two inches by hand, so that needs to be repaired. I'm looking for replacements for the old interior lights that are maybe a little brighter and I would like to brighten up the dash a bit.

The TCS light will not turn off regardless of how many times I push the switch - in fact, the light on the switch doesn't even function. I know there are on board diagnostics you can run on the TCS system but I haven't had the time just yet.

Alot of the hoses on the car are in good condition and not dry. The weatherstrips on both doors need to be replaced as do some of the gaskets around the car. The engine seems to vibrate the car a little more than it should, but I feel like that could be dried up/worn out mounts.

All in all it seems like it will close to 2 or 3k in parts to get the car to the point I want it to before I start modifying it further. I want to replace the wing with one with a functioning third brake light (the previous owner removed it and painted the lens flat black with a rattle can) and do an 02 valence/NSXR diffuser on the car.

Back