• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

New starter, car still not starting

Initially diagnosed as starter issue. Put in new starter and car still doesn't start. I can hear the starter spinning when ignition is turned. Somehow it's not engaging the flywheel. Battery is good and I can push start the car. What could be wrong? What keeps the starter from not engaging? Please help. :confused::mad:

Are you sure it's the starter spinning or could it be the solenoid you hear? Could be your not getting enough voltage to the starter. Check the battery and ground cables at the starter and at the other ends for corroded or loose connections. You can try doing some of the starter tests in the repair manual.

Mike

Initially diagnosed as starter issue. Put in new starter and car still doesn't start. I can hear the starter spinning when ignition is turned. Somehow it's not engaging the flywheel. Battery is good and I can push start the car. What could be wrong? What keeps the starter from not engaging? Please help. :confused::mad:

It's either the wrong starter, not mounted correctly or the little wire on top that connects with a spade connection is not connected or loose. There are two electrically connections that should be made for the starter to work properly.

It's either the wrong starter, not mounted correctly or the little wire on top that connects with a spade connection is not connected or loose. There are two electrically connections that should be made for the starter to work properly.

Looks to be the correct starter as it's a rebuilt OEM. Connections are correct. I tested the relay by the clutch and underneath the glove box. Both were good. When I unplugged them, the starter made no noise at all. Plug everything back in and the starter will sound like it's spinning, but doesn't make connection to the Flywheel ring gears. I can still push start the car and it will run once push started. Odd thing is when I make a hard turn, I get a sound from the engine area. Kind of like loose metal moving around. What could be wrong?:confused:

Looks to be the correct starter as it's a rebuilt OEM. Connections are correct. I tested the relay by the clutch and underneath the glove box. Both were good. When I unplugged them, the starter made no noise at all. Plug everything back in and the starter will sound like it's spinning, but doesn't make connection to the Flywheel ring gears. I can still push start the car and it will run once push started. Odd thing is when I make a hard turn, I get a sound from the engine area. Kind of like loose metal moving around. What could be wrong?:confused:

Sounds like the starter solenoid is bad. It's the part that pushes the starter gear itself out and engages the flywheel. If its so bad as to be loose it could actually be sliding out and making contact with your flywheel during hard left hand cornering thus making a godawful noise. Pull the starter and see if it not only spins but also slides out about and inch or so when you hook 12 volts to it. If not your rebuilt starter is bad. Is it mounted firmly to the engine?

Sounds like the starter solenoid is bad. It's the part that pushes the starter gear itself out and engages the flywheel. If its so bad as to be loose it could actually be sliding out and making contact with your flywheel during hard left hand cornering thus making a godawful noise. Pull the starters and see if it not only spins but also slides out about and inch or so when you hook 12 volts to it. If not your rebuilt starter is bad. Is it mounted firmly to the engine?

Tested starter and it works fine out of the car. What could be wrong? Reinstalled starter and same thing happens. I can hear the starter spinning, but somehow not engaging with the flywheel. Can still push start car though. What else can be wrong? I've replaced a few starters on other cars and they were pretty straight forward with no issues.

Last edited:
Tested starter and it works fine out of the car. What could be wrong? Reinstalled starter and same thing happens. I can hear the starter spinning, but somehow not engaging with the flywheel. Can still push start car though. What else can be wrong? I've replaced a few starters on other cars and they were pretty straight forward with no issues.

I think it's time to try another starter, something is wrong with the one you have. Either the solenoid is not coming out far enough or it's. Or installed properly. I believe you know how to I stall one so I'm leaning toward a malfunctioning or incorrect starter. I went through this on a Saturn once. It's was a gm starter but the wrong one for a Saturn.

Found the problem, now need resolution. The flywheel ring gear is completely loose. Somehow it got dismounted from the flywheel and is free moving now. I was able to move it one revolution and felt all of the teeth. Didn't seem to be any damage. How did it move? My RPS clutch and flywheel have less then 10k miles on them. What course of action should I take now? Assuming I'll have to open up the transmission? Ouch! :mad:

I think if the gear has come loose you will have to replace the flywheel. Guess in a turn the gear is getting against the flywheel making the noise. Never seen that happen before on any car. Maybe someone else has.

Mike

So you know what your dealing with.
This is a 91-96 that scorp965 had for sale, and maybe still does ;).

flywheel.jpg

Last edited:
Back